best on the west (side!)

Posted by ange 
best on the west (side!)
February 23, 2005 03:36AM
I'm compiling a list of recommended restaraunts by area for our forthcoming trip to NYC (call me an overplanner!)

The idea is; whichever area we're in when we get hungry, we'll have a list of good value, good food places to choose from.

My problem is - I've only got about 2 places on the westside! We're staying in midtown, just on broadway but I expect we'll be all over the city.

Anyone know of any gems on the westside? We like all food and aren't scared to try something new
Re: best on the west (side!)
February 23, 2005 06:13AM
Arties deli (Broadway at 83rd) is a good value place. Have a look at the site...www.arties.com.The menu is on there , be warned, the portions are large, my sister and I couldn't even finish a SHARED Jewish Chef Salad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Service was excellent.
February 23, 2005 08:35AM
44 and x, 10th ave /44th st--American

Hell's Kitchen, 9th Ave btw 47/46--Nouveau Mexican

Eatery, 9th Ave/53rd--American

Rinconcito Peruano, 9th Ave (53/54)--Dive, Authentic Peruvian

Zen Palate, 9th Ave/46th--Vegetarian

Thalia, 8th/50--American

Pigalle, 8th Ave/48th--24 hour French Brasserie

Marseille, 9th Ave/44th--French Mediterranean

Anything west of 8th Avenue is not as touristy. Anything east of it is embarrassing.

February 23, 2005 09:03AM
Not EVERYTHING east of 8th Ave. is embarrassing!!! Carmine's, Virgil's BBQ, John's Pizzeria, Osteria Stella, Le Bernardin, Manhattan Ocean Club, Redeye Grill, Trattoria dell'Arte, and about a zillion others are all east of 8th Ave.

Here are some goodies on the UWS -- Ocean Grill, Nice Matin, Pasha, Penang, Gray's Papaya, Fairway Cafe, Ouest, Les Routiers, Barney Greengrass.
February 24, 2005 05:07PM
See if you can spot the following things @ Carmine's:

*You know that baby that was born in Brazil that weighed 17 pounds? Imagine that baby is liguine. Now imagine it on a plate. That is how much food is involved @ Carmine's. Everything is served on these "family-style" platters that no normal person could ever hope to finish. This in and of itself is fine, but there's more...

*3 Linda Richman types, freshly tanned the color of George Hamilton bc they "just got back from Boca". They will leave their long-suffering Pakistani waiter a miserable tip bc they take the tax from their bill and double it.

*About 20 8th graders on a school trip from a small town in West Virginia. The boys will have on high top sneakers. The girls will wear L'eggs pantyhose 3 shades too dark bc they were told to "dress up for the theatre". Their teacher/chaperone will have an Ogilvie home perm. When finished with their meal, they will wander onto 44th street--helpless, lost, fat.

Oracle is not incorrect. There are some gems on the East Side. But I have personally found Carmine's, Virgils BBQ, Redeye Grill, and Trattoria dell Arte to = embarrassing bc = crammed w tourists. They are places I have been dragged to w visiting out-of-town relatives. Le Benardin is fabulous bc = one of the old guarde, like La Cote Basque (defunct), La Grenouille, 21. But prix fixe dinner there = $135.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 13?
Online Users

Guests: 12