high rise or a brownstone?

Posted by chris 
chris
high rise or a brownstone?
February 14, 2005 07:17PM
I just posted about Waterside Plaza but forgot to mention that the other apartment I am considering for my summer trip to NYC is a brownstone around E 51 Street in an area called Turtle Bay. Do you know anything at all about this area and Brownstones in particular? It says it is over 100 years old. Is that a common age for this type of building? I think the location is better than the Waterside Plaza location, the price is similar so that's not an issue...but would I be happy in a Brownstone? I'm assuming it is something like what SJP lived in in Sex and the City but again, I realize that was a television set so I know I can't base any decision I make on a TV scene.

I never knew the biggest thing about coming to NYC would be figuring out where to stay!! I guess a girl could have bigger problems, right? winking smiley

This site is great and so informative! I've saved forever to make this trip to NYC for my daugher and me this summer so I'm really concerned that I make a good choice on something as important as where we stay. Thank you all for your help!

Re: high rise or a brownstone?
February 14, 2005 08:26PM
If Waterside is the building on the East River, the apartment would probably be physically much nicer than a brownstone, that is, cleaner and newer. I live in a brownstone, and yes, many are 100 years old. If the building has been well maintained, it's fine. It really does depend on the building. Location-wise, Waterside is way east, so there's no subway access. You've got to take a crosstown bus to get to the nearest subway. Assuming you've got a view from the apartment, that's the trade-off.

Turtle Bay is fine. Just west -- toward Third Ave. -- it's a business district. East of second avenue is a residential neighborhood that includes the very swanky addresses on Beekman Place and Sutton Place. The transit access is pretty good, with the Lexington #6 at 51st St., and the E train at 53rd St.

Sorry, I've never seen Sex & the City!
February 14, 2005 10:07PM
My husband's cousin has just moved into a lovely apartment (not 100 years, but old) on 51st street between 1st and 2nd Avenues. It is in a lovely area and a very easy walk to the 6 train and also the E and v at 53rd and 5th Ave. Most of the buildings around hers seem to have been updated at some point.
February 14, 2005 11:19PM
Oracle! I thought I was the only one who has not seen Sex and The City!!!!
February 15, 2005 12:53AM
I have never seen it either. So you two are not alone!
February 15, 2005 09:02AM
Sorry Chris, I meant the E or V at 53rd and Lexington.

I have, and it is a silly show, I have not met any people in New York who are remotely like those idiots.
February 15, 2005 12:58PM
There are two issues here, location and type of building. Waterside Plaza is a highrise, with cinderblock interior - do not expect any architectural details, but if you are lucky, some wonderful views, and do expect to have a wider variety of building services that you would not get in a brownstone. The SJP brownstone used in the S&TC was in the East 70's. Your brownstone may be similar, but expect more street traffic in Turtle Bay. Most authentic brownstones were built in the mid 1800's up through WWI after which they fell out of fashion. The best ones will have high ceilings, arhitectural detail, and loads of character, view into private gardens - the worst will be drafty, stripped of detail, poorly laid out, and have noisy/ineffective steam heat radiators.

If chosing location alone - Turtle Bay, wins hands down. It is much closer the multiple forms of transporation. Waterside is on the East River, and it is far less convenient.

If I were making a choice - I would pick the brownstone - it is more authentic and less insular than the highrise.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 12 plus 21?
Online Users

Guests: 4