travelling alone

Posted by Virginia 
travelling alone
February 05, 2005 09:34AM
Hi Everybody. I'm planning on taking my first vacation by myself in March and I'm thinking of coming to New York. Is this safe or is it the height of foolishness for someone that isn't exactly well-traveled to travel to New York alone? Thanks bunches.
Virginia
Re: travelling alone
February 05, 2005 09:44AM
Hi Virginia,
No, not really! I assume you can speak English and can use the subway and bus. If this is the case, you'll be fine. If not, then now is the time to start!
Make sure you get yourself a good map, this is what I recommend that everyone does whether they are well travelled or not. It will help you get your bearings and see where places are in relation to each other. I use the Streetwise Manhattan map and find it invaluable. You can get it on Amazon and most good book stores will have it in Manhattan, but I do suggest you get it before you leave.
I found Manhattan to be a wonderful place, I did not feel unsafe at all. There are so many people around till really late, it is impossible to feel unsafe. Get a hotel near to a subway stop, this will minimise travelling time! It doesn't matter if you get one in the heart of Times Square or up in the residential Upper East or West of the city, it depends on personal preferance and budget.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Was once van Mullem, am now just Cozz!
February 05, 2005 02:54PM
hi there,
I think NYC has to be one of the best cities to visit, if you are on your own. First, it is so easy to get around and the layout of the city is very easy. You can't get lost. Also, there are so many things to do that are fun and interesting even if you are by yourself. You can do exactly what interests YOU and don't have to worry about chasing around where others want to go. You won't be lonely. You should get a "big apple greeter" (see home page for link) and get a free tour of a part of the city you are interested in. There is so much to do, don't worry about coming here alone.
February 08, 2005 09:27AM
Hi Virginia,

I've travelled to New York City by myself 3 times and loved every minute of it. As Kelly said, you can do exactly what you want, and not have to worry about anyone else. I loved the subway and bus system, I had fun on the bus, just looking out the window and getting off where I thought something was interesting. I'll be going alone again in May, and have my travel books underlined for my next adventures. I hope you have a great trip
Julie
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 4?
Online Users

Guests: 3