hip hop bars/lounges

Posted by Mad 
Mad
hip hop bars/lounges
January 26, 2005 10:19AM
First time in New York and was wondering if you know of any nice hip hop lounges/bars for some newbies.
Krissi
Re: hip hop bars/lounges
January 26, 2005 04:33PM
40/40 is Jay Z's place, and seriously, its the best club I have been to in a while. I recommed getting some people together and splurging on a bottle though, just to really make it a nice night. They also have a cute cigar room (but you can't smoke cigs) I believe it is on 28th Street b/w 5th and 6th but check tho.

A lot of people recommend the Warehouse, but it is far in the Bronx.

Jet Lounge is just "eh", at least it was years ago. Its still around on 248 W 14th St.

I have never been to Cherry Lounge, but its owned by Timbaland and i hear its good. 454 West 128th Street, between Amsterdam and Convent.
January 26, 2005 05:47PM
40/40 is on 25th Street between Broadway and 6th but on the Broadway end.
January 27, 2005 03:01PM
Any idea if the 40/40 club is hard to get into and if there is an age limit ?
My son is 18 and really wanted to go there with me.
Krissi
January 27, 2005 03:55PM
I believe it is 21 and over and yes, they are very strict.
Mad
January 28, 2005 12:50AM
so when you say very strict... are you talking about the age limit or are you saying with who they let into the club? is it usually a long wait to get in? is it a resturant as well ?
January 28, 2005 01:32AM
The 40/40 Club is a trendy sports bar with a futuristic décor with gray Italian marble floors, yellow suspended swinging lounge chairs and gold wall banquets. They provide several dining areas and the second floor has an additional bar, VIP rooms, cigar and pool lounge. Guest can sit on the stair landing; its three tables have a perfect view of the flat-screen 10-foot wide screen TV. Music is a mix of hip-hop mixed with current rap. The cuisine is American with chicken, steak and seafood entrées. Beers, wines and liquors are served.

Guess that answers Mad's question.
Stil don(t know why the age limit would be 21 for a sportsbar that serves food, albeit is a special type of sports bar.
Krissi
January 28, 2005 10:07AM
Although it is a sports bar, in the evening it is certainly a club. It is really not appropriate for children, which is why I doubt it is 18 and over and more likely 21 and over. The average age was later 20's, earlier 30's. Actually, I just checked online and it is certainly 21 and over.

By strict I mean ID's. If you get there early to watch a game, it is usually not a problem to come in casual in jeans. Later in the evening, after the games, the place is packed, like a club. That is when there are lines and the bouncers are more picky about who gets in.

If you are planning on bringing the 18-year old, I wouldn't recommend it. It's just not appropriate and he'd need a good fake ID anyways.
January 31, 2005 08:57AM
Any idea if they ask for ID late afternoon, early evening too.
Krissi
February 02, 2005 02:05PM
I actually don't know... I don't think they are open unless a game is on... but you can check, here's the contact info:

40/40 Club, The
6 W 25th St
(Broadway & 6th)
New York, NY 10010
212-989-0040
February 02, 2005 05:35PM
Thanks, I had all that info. but somehow never bothered calling there.
Called then and those under 21 can get in, as long as they are gone by 10 10.30 pm and are accompanied by an guardian.
And I was told they open at 5pm during the week.
Guess we may not get to be there when things are happening, but at least we will be able to get in.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 6