Is Harlem safe at night?

Posted by Diane 
Re: Is Harlem safe at night?
March 28, 2012 06:27AM
Dear confused, have you actually travelled to Harlem yourself? It would seem that only you can be the judge of what you consider to be safe. It would be like asking a qstn of 'is it safe to use electricity?' too many variables and not enough information in the actual question. I live in a beach side suburb in Sydney Australia and if you read the papers or the police wkly reports, you would probably strongly consider this not a good place
To visit or live.However, it is fantastic,like most intelligent people have said in this post,every place has its challenges, just be aware, don't do dumb things, check the place out yourself. Why, where you live now to some could be a dodgy place...like the London lady suggests, should she not attend her office cause she is the only dark skinned person there? BTW,we are moving from this gloriously sun soaked, predominatly white beach culture to live inNYC and have our sights set on living in Harlem, we will be there East Saturday!!In short..check it yourself!
March 28, 2012 12:05PM
I lived on 122nd street bt Amsterdam and Broadway, and I always felt safe there. The people were friendly as any other place in Manhattan. Everything OK.
I created a comment to tell the truth about Harlem but this website has banned certain descriptive words that will help inform the public of the tremendous amount of crime that occurs in broad daylight every day.

For some reason or another the press hasn't reported much of the crime but if you dig far enough, you can find some stuff on the internet.
Thank you. I'm a former American who hasn't been stateside in 20 years, and hasn't been to NYC ever. I'm booked into a B&B in Harlem and my midwestern relatives are freaking out. winking smiley
April 09, 2012 07:21AM
How about 139 and Amsterdam avenue for an Italian guy?
Thank you very much.
April 11, 2012 05:19PM
Whats 147th and st nicholas ave like?
April 12, 2012 08:38PM
YO guys,

whats W 147th St/Convent/st Nicholas like?
Couple of students thinking about getting a 3 bed there?
May 28, 2012 10:41PM
Wow. This is a super old thread, but as a long time white resident of the "bad" part of harlem, I'd like to tell you all to go get bent. Advice wise? I'd stay out of the gentrified areas, because that's the only place white people aren't welcome.
June 20, 2012 11:39AM
Hey guys I'm planing to go to a dance jam i harlem. it's in White Park E. 105th St. between Lexington and Third Ave. Spanish Harlem NYC 10029. is that safe or how is that neighborhood?
Ben
June 20, 2012 05:47PM
I've lived in Harlem for just over 12 years, and I can assure everyone this neighbourhood is NOT the 'ghetto' it is portrayed to be in popular culture. Of course, there are certain areas that locals such as myself know to avoid, such as (already mentioned) West 138th between Fifth and Seventh, which I would say was pretty rough. But there are bad parts to every area, and (also already mentioned) New York is one of those cities where you could literally turn off one street from a millionaire's hotspot and end up walking beside a dirty slum, that's just the way it is. My advice would be to always keep your head held high (confidence is key) and don't be afraid to smile at locals, break the stereotypical snooty tourist image.
138th between fifth and seventh dangerous? These statement must be made by people who find nuns,children and senior citizens dangerous. Take 138th between fifth and Lenox(I am a resident) for example which has two nursing homes, a catholic elementary school, playground, and a new 50 million dollar co-op development. I highly doubt that any corporation would make an investment that large in an area that would be described as slum or unsafe.Most of the buildings on the block are co-ops and are owned by the residents who take the safety and clealiness of our block very seriously. 138th between Lenox and seventh(Odell Clarke Place) is the home of Abyssinian Baptist Church which owns the lots on the block that are being developed.The descriptions that some of the users are making are totally inaccurate.
June 22, 2012 11:37AM
I am going to be attending Columbia grad school. It's located by 701 W 168th st. Do you know which areas are safe there? I am a NYC resident. Have been living in Brooklyn for 20 years and have traveled to Harlem (grad school Columbia) for 2 years but haven't lived. This has nothing to do with black or white. Some areas are more dangerous than others. Doesn't have to do with the color of those people living there, just the people living there in general.

So as I'm looking for an apartment could you tell me which blocks are best to avoid? I am a young female and will be moving in with my husband. I'm looking for a place somewhere between 160's- 180's.

From working around that area I know audobon is not so good. Bennet avenue by 180th looked fine to me.

How is St. Nicholas?

Any tips or suggestions for the blocks to avoid and blocks that are safer for renting at is highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 7?
Online Users

Guests: 25