Is Harlem safe at night?

Posted by Diane 
Re: Is Harlem safe at night?
August 24, 2011 12:59PM
You can get a helpful crime map on www.spotlight.com
Look out for the shootings and see what Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said on August 3, 2011:
[www.dnainfo.com]

hot smiley
August 24, 2011 01:34PM
It's www.spotcrime.com
not spotlight!
September 08, 2011 02:03PM
Is it safe to stay at aLoft Hotel, on 123rd & 8th Ave, with my wife and 2 year old? Safe as in being able to walk around the general area to and from the subway.
September 09, 2011 08:20PM
I noticed that any negative comment about Harlem is promptly removed from this forum without any explanation. How can people get objective information and advice if only the positive stories and advice is allowed? Can the moderator post the forum rules so that people understand what's allowed and what is not allowed?

I was planning on staying in Harlem as well, but cannot get the true story about the area.

Axel, Amsterdam
September 14, 2011 03:57AM
If it helps anyone, here's a detailed NYC crime map.
September 20, 2011 02:24PM
Hi, can I ask about 120st with 54W ? there is a hotel there where I booked to stay, is it safe to arrive there at nicht by myself?
September 30, 2011 10:27PM
Seriously, the most dangerous place anywhere in NYC is in the street. Not the Sidewalk- the Street. It is not the people that are dangerous here, it is the cars that are dangerous. More people are injured or killed every year by automobiles than by any other cause. That being said, Harlem has very low traffic. It is quiet most of the time. I have lived here for 5 years but have been coming up here for 15 years and have never really felt intimidated by the locals. In fact most people are very friendly. Also a consideration is that I now have a two year old child, and people here are so complimentary and respectful. People here have real family values, not some hypocritical moralizing but actual concern for your child's welfare. They will look out for you and especially your child. Do not be afraid of Harlem and the residents/locals. Be afraid of taxis. They are the real menace. Harlem is beautiful and the residents are wonderful.
me
October 22, 2011 07:30PM
The people in Harlem are very friendly and warm. Of course if you bump into someone and nudge them with an elbow you may get an earlful of the famous NYC rudeness, people are not shy letting others know when you get into their space, but that is true wherever you go in NYC.
I work on 135th on Lenox Avenue, it's thickly populated at night, I go home sometimes 5pm, lately 8pm, 9pm, 1030pm, but try to avoid making it a habit. That said there are NYPD all over my work place and my subway is right in front of my work place.
Harlem is the same as any neighborhood, avoid dark deserted streets, side streets in the wee hours where there are no businesses open, and it's residential-why expose yourself? heck even on the upper east side which is considered safe, I dont like to walk alone to the subway without my hubby around 5am, and if I am out until 4am I am taking a cab. I can stay out til 2am 3am and there's still people out so I tend to take subway, but it all depends on the area, how long people are out on the streets for-since I dont live in Harlem, I cant say how long people are still out and about, my advice is if you move there stay close to businesses that are still open or a well-lit walk from the subway so if you have to come home late you are not walking late in a deserted side street
If you are woman walking alone and you wear a pretty dress, you will get compliments saying youre beautiful, just wing it an walk on by, no smart comebacks; I usually say thanks or walk by but never give a smart comment, why invite that kind of trouble.Its true wherever you go back but if you are new you may be taken aback.
The people here are much warmer compared to the midtown region where they can be quite obnoxious and superficial, people in harlem are much more down to earth and polite. I get more "good mornings" at my workplace here than when I used to work midtown.
However, it is true if you are certain color you will get exposed to harassment that someone with more pigmented skin like me wont get ( for example, this guy was asking for a quarter on the 2 train, I have dark skin I said I was jobless which was true at the time, he asked a white tourist with centrury 21 bags he said he had no money, the guy believed me but not the white tourist and said I can believe she has no money but you do---ouch but saved me from more harassment thank goodness, brown skin comes in handy sometimes!); I was walking with someone white, I heard these girls shout hey cracker, cracker!A few of my white colleagues were threatened but we have to dress decently at work, one guy was told if he didnt take his flyer he would get mugged another had his wallet stolen at 12noontime, another girl took the wrong subway at 7am and walked on deserted streets for 3 blocks and had her bag stolen, on a lighter note, one of my white friends who used ot live in Harlem always got picked on by the subway performers because she was the only white person on the train; So sometimes even being in daylight around people may not protect you, try to minimize your chances by being around people and avoiding dark streets in the wee hours.If you're white folk, dont look too flashy and dress down if possible.

Okay, good luck!
Halrem has such a rich history to it you can feel the history in the blocks, I think people give it a bad name without having lived or worked here and it takes a rap a lot; if you dont live or work in harlem you have nothing to back up your comments. The peopel are warm, the history is rich, give it a chance people!
November 04, 2011 08:29AM
I personally too agree that movies be over exaggerating about Harlem. I have an aunt that stay somewhere near 119th and Lenox. Like, it isn't that bad but for new comers I think it might be if you don't where you at or who you around. But all is welcome.
Chris
November 14, 2011 05:25AM
Of course the area immediately around Colombia is safe enough; if it weren't why would all of the rich kids who will run our society in a couple decades live there for 4 years?
Hi there
Am visitng nyc in feb and was wondering how to spend a thurs and fri evening in the area of harlem where my lodgings are-W 136th not far from st nicholas park ,rather than going down into midtown manhattan.Be grateful for any advice.
Regards Steve
Sunny
January 30, 2012 02:08AM
I have read all the posts but still have doubts about safety in the particular area that I just moved in.

1. 136st btw Broadway and Amsterdam Ave. Is this area safe?
2. Which blocks are dangerous in West Harlem?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 8