An idea!!!

Posted by English Shopper 
An idea!!!
December 02, 2004 01:36PM

Having just spent the best part of a week in the most vibrant city in the universe, I've realised, that after reading the local press and watching a spot of TV, that consumers have different rights in the States than anywhere else..

As a fair number of tourists visit New York for the excellent shopping, would it not be an idea to have a section somewhere on here somewhere to advise on visitors consumer rights?

Just a thought.
Garry
Re: An idea!!!
December 02, 2004 02:43PM
I had no idea that this was an issue. What was your experience? Are you talking about return policies?
December 02, 2004 02:49PM

Yes....

Some shops (Macys) don't have a problem with returns...(it's probably good for business), some charge a re-stocking fee, and some don't even take things back at all...
Also, whether if goods are in a sale if the consumer has the same rights...

I'm not sure if this is the tip of the iceberg...!

By the way...I didn't have a bad experience, but then I always check with the retailer when I buy something.

I think it would be useful if visitors knew what there rights are....
Maharishi
December 03, 2004 06:49AM
I think each store has it's own policies, and it is always best to ask about them at the stores you are buying from.
December 07, 2004 11:08PM
There really is no such thing as "Consumers rights" in the US, because as Maharishi stated, every store has their own policy.

Each business gets to decide how they want to treat their customers. If they don't want to accept returns, they do not have to.
December 08, 2004 01:29PM
Thanks for sharing that English Shopper as I never even thought about it! I am due to visit NY in a week so will make sure I check at each store!

Cheers.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 2?
Online Users

Guests: 6