Illegal Subletting

Posted by Steamy Kurrin 
My dad who passed away has a rent stabilized apt. I would like to stay in the apt for the duration of the lease. Should I tell the landlord--I think some other tenants may have told. Do I have rights to the apt--what can I do to stay there for the duration of the lease?
Re: Illegal Subletting
June 08, 2011 06:56PM
I live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in a HUD subsidized co-op, in fact it is the only HUD subsidized co-op kind in NYC.
We have a HUGE problems with illegal subletting. We have 188 units and about 25 are illegally subleased. What can the shareholders do to stop the illegal subletting? I gave a list of the apartments along with the shareholders apartment numbers and names, and even the names of those illegally subletting.
How can we stop this?
June 21, 2011 01:12AM
Hi,

I about to arrive in NYC to spend a few months there and found an awesome sublet on craigslist. The person i am subletting from has already left the US (I'll be in his place alone), and says he will send me the keys by mail once i pay (and has asked me to pay via money gram/western union). I'm worried that I'll pay and i won't get the keys.
I understand i don't have any legal standing to protect myself with, but i just was wondering whether craigslist is a trusted enough website that i can at least be assured of being sent the keys, and of this place even being available (existing) when i arrive.
June 21, 2011 05:13AM
I'm just not feeling this one. Scams are prevalent on CL especially when it comes to sublets. What's your budget? Where in the city is this 'awesome' apartment? I know its a hassle but I would look elsewhere.
July 20, 2011 09:37AM
I'M SUBLEASING IN A (NYCHA) APARTMENT IM NOT ON THE LEASE BUT I PAY THE BILLS. THE CURRENT RENTER FOR THE APARTMENT LEAVE IN A DIFFERENT STATE. WHAT ARE THE STEPS CAN I TAKE TO AVOID BEING EVICTED FROM THIS APARTMENT?
September 14, 2011 06:44AM
Hello,

I had been subletting my co-op apartment in the Bronx to a lovely couple. When the permitted sublet period ended, they asked if they could stay on, since they were having trouble finding a new home. Though the co-op denied my request for a co-op extension, I said they could stay but might have to leave is the co-op took any action.

Now the co-op management has sent a letter (sent to the wrong address so it arrived two weeks late) saying that "it has come to [their] attention that I have an illegal tenant residing" in my unit, reminding me that they refused my request, and telling me to "please have your tenant vacate the apartment immediately" and that "failure to do so will lead to legal consequences."

My worry is that my subtenants won't be able to move out quickly enough. How much time can I reasonably expect the coop to give them? The letter says "immediately," but my understanding of such matters is that the board needs to specify a reasonable amount of time for me to "cure" the problem.Also, since it doesn't specify time, can you tell me does this letter constitute a proper "notice of cure"?

I very much appreciate your advice.
How to report Illegal Subletting
September 26, 2011 10:02AM
Hi,

I realized that the person who is renting out a room to me is actually illegally subletting her apartment. She is charging me an exorbitant amount of rent and has tried to intimidate me a couple of times when i tried to move out. She is now confiscating my deposit. I would like to report her to the authorities so that people like her will not get to bully others anymore. Who can i report this illegal subletting to?

Thank you!
September 26, 2011 12:40PM
Megan I just spoke to the org called Tenants and neighbors.First you need to find out wether the apt is rent regulated by calling the following # 718 739 6400. If it is rent regulated they can help you....if its not rent regulated I'm looking into who can help you.
November 30, 2011 10:09AM
I have a question guys -
My lease has ended as of JUNE 2011, I was subletting and had sent my landlord an email notifying him that I was not living full-time at the apartment and a friend was living there. He states I was illegally subletting and was going to further pursue the matter. Does the landlord have any right to take me to court, 6 months after the lease has ended?
December 10, 2011 11:10AM
I can't believe he'd actually bother to do that!
December 28, 2011 10:10PM
Hello. I just found out today that my fiance's grandmother is being thrown out once her lease is up In march. All utilities are in his name but he is not on the lease. She basically moved out in feb 08 & I moved in,now he's been there for 7 yrs & myself 4yrs. What exactly are our rights to that apt if we have any at all? We live in bklyn,ny. Thank you.
January 06, 2012 05:08PM
Hi,

I entered into a Roomate situation 2 years ago. I was told that I was paying half of the rent and then found out that my portion pays all of the rent and that the person whom I rented from is not the lease holder..l supposedly it is his grandmother. I kept my knowledge of these lies to myself. Now, I am being told to move so that they can chop the apartment up and rent it to as many illegals as they can. What legal grounds do I have?

Please... Someone help

Thanks
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 5