Only a week to go!

Posted by Richard 
Only a week to go!
May 05, 2004 02:17AM
This time next week I'll be at Manchester Airport (UK) waiting for my flight to NY.
Really looking forward to it - will be my 4th visit but for the first time I'll be able to take in a baseball game. Got tickets on the Friday for the Yankees against the Mariners - upper deck behind home plate, looks a great view from the pictures on the stadium plan.
I'm staying at the Pennsylvania Hotel by myself - plans to check out a couple of microbrew bars that I've seen online......Blind Tiger Ale House in the Village and The Ginger Man on East 36th. One of the things that I was most pleased by on my first trip to the US 6 years ago was that not all the beer is Budweiser type beer.
I'll be taking a few new places in - such as the Intrepid and maybe Natural History musuem.
However, one of my main interests is in Native Americans - I know theres the national museum near Battery Park but I must say on my previous 2 visits to this museum it has been a very big disappointment....last time was Oct 2000, does anyone know if it has been improved and the exhibits increased? Are there any Native exhibits in the Natural History museum? The best I've seen so far was in Chicago.
At some stage I will get to make a trip to the US soley to see Native American sites and exhibits but thats for another time.
Krissi
Re: Only a week to go!
May 05, 2004 10:05AM
Try the Museum of Natural History. I am quite sure they have an area of Native Americans. However, some of their exhibits are quite old and need to be updated. Dunno if that is one of them.

I dunno if the Metropolitan Museum of Art has info on Native Americans, but I found this on their website:

[www.metmuseum.org]

Across the river, in New Jersey, there should be many more sites and Native American museums. Unfortunalty, i dont know of any off hand.

Future reference, the American Southwest and midwest have some hardcore Native American cultures still thriving. I went white water rafting in Utah down the Snake River a while ago and it was not only beautiful, but very interesting if you like Native American lore and art.
May 06, 2004 01:36AM
Checked on the website for the National Musuem of the Native American to see what was on in New York and found they are building a new museum on the mall in Washington DC to open in Sept.

I was in DC back in 2002, so many museums to see.....looks like I'll be heading back again soon!
May 08, 2004 01:01AM
Museum of Natural History has an exhibition on Native Americans, it is old ugly and dark, like the rest of the museum ( I was very dissappointed). It depends on what you are looking for, it was interesting but at the same time totally uninspiring.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 21?
Online Users

Guests: 5