The Gates Christo drapes/gates Central Park

Posted by DS 
Simon
Re: The Gates Christo drapes/gates Central Park
October 10, 2004 09:04AM
I wonder how long it will take to build the insatallation in Central Park....what a massive undertaking.
Getting closer.
February 2005 will bring The Gates, a free public outdoor work of art in Central Park that was initiated in 1979 by the husband-and-wife team Christo and Jeanne-Claude, who are better known for wrapping buildings such as the Reichstag. It will consist of 7,500 16-foot-high gates placed at 12-foot intervals throughout 23 miles of pedestrian walkways in Central Park from 59th Street to 110th Street and from Central Park West to Fifth Avenue. Free-hanging saffron-colored fabric panels will reach approximately seven feet above the ground. The gates will be unfurled Saturday, February 12, weather permitting, and will remain for 16 days -- through the end of the month, February 28.
November 17, 2004 05:34PM
Oh excellent!!! I'll actually be there for it. Gonna have to email mum to plan it in for the kids! Yay! Thanks KM.
Pam
December 13, 2004 11:20AM
Can't wait!!!
KM
Re: A waste of money?
January 04, 2005 08:23AM
20 million dollar installation payed by Christo. The Gates made it to Central Park and are starting to be set up. He readily admits that, "Nobody needs the Gates, It's totally irrational, irresponsoble, useless, with no justifaicaion, with no reason to exist except we like it" It's hard not to wonder whether that 20 mil couldn't be used in a manner that would be rational responsible,useful- ie helping the hundreds of thousands around the Indian Ocean basin. What a crazy world!
Simon
January 31, 2005 07:29PM
I hear their giving out little pieces of the saffron curtain....
Dave
February 12, 2005 01:58PM
It's not art. It's distracting and blocks views (a safety hazzard) to those who visit the part to SEE AND USE THE PARK. Nature is art in itself. There is so much crap being created "in the name of art". When are people going to realize this. What a waste of time and money. How about enclosing this new 'Gate' in glass, creating a sheltered walk so people don't have to get wet or cold on the nasty days. Then it will become 'practical' to some and remain art to a few. Either way -- it's still 'in the way'. Bad choise, bad location.
oh my gosh, stop this waste of money thing! sure, this money could help heaps of people if spent in a different way, but so could the rediculously huge U.S military budget. shut your whinging and go and appreciate the gates. they look damn cool and didn't cost you a cent. christo and jeanne-claude raised all the money themselves through sketches and stuff for the project. you say the money could go elsewhere but it wouldn't even be christo and jeanne-claude's to spend unless they conceived the project. DON'T COMPLAIN TO HIM IF YOU ARE ANGRY, complain to the people who bought his skectches rather than donating it to the hungry.
Of course it is art. Whether one likes or dislikes the work doesn't change the fact that it is art.

Part of what makes us human is our ability not only to use symbols in order to be more efficient but also to play with them to be more expressive. Whether it be numbers, words, sounds or visuals, stepping into the world of symbols is a human thing to do. Those who call themselves artists many times are those who devote their minds (the ultimate symbol manipulator) to experimenting with these symbols through various mediums and for various reasons. In this view, not only are musicians, writers, painters, sculptors and stylists artists but scientists, computer engineers and politicians are as well.

But then if someone chooses to limit 'art' to a less expansive meaning, they may do so. However, I see no benefit to limiting the definition of art to only that which pleases. I see no benefit to limiting the definition of art to only that which is easily defined. Yet I suppose limiting art to only that which is deemed accepted by the 'art world elite' may benefit class distinction or art markets but I'm not interested in their world. And I suppose limiting art to only that which is offensive or obtuse benefits only those who wish to be offensive and obtuse but I'm not usually interested in their world either.

Personally, I think art which inspires reaction and debate is good art. And that art which inspires us to appreciate our unique human character is even better. And art which is offesnive, obtuse, simple, beautiful, intellectual, inspiring, warm or cold is okay with me as well. It seems I love The Gates!

Patrick of QueerVisions.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2005 05:30AM by (n/a).
February 13, 2005 07:30AM
I walked through the park yesterday singing (to myself) "February in New York." It could've been June for the numbers of people strolling yesterday. And everyone was looking up (not too common in NY) and smiling at each other.

I admit to not liking the idea when I first heard it. But I've been converted. Going back today.
Newyorker
February 13, 2005 11:43AM
I am glad there are still people willing to waste their money. But this whole exhibit sounds kinda idiotic.
I cannot get to the Park in time to see this massive installation, but I managed to find 50 great photos online. What a colorful winter "sculpture" to have for 16 days! Great images!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 7