Find Avonte Oquendo

Posted by askanewyorker 
Find Avonte Oquendo
October 21, 2013 05:07AM
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Family members and other concerned people gathered Sunday for another extensive search for Avonte Oquendo, the autistic teenage boy who has been missing since he walked out of his school in Queens more than two weeks ago.

Avonte is 5-foot-3 and weighs 125 pounds. He was last seen wearing a gray striped shirt, black jeans and black shoes.

His family organized teams for a massive effort Sunday morning.

And as CBS 2’s Steve Langford reported, the search has captivated the New York metro area, bringing volunteers on motorcycles.

“I myself have got an autistic child also — 3 years old — so we know what it’s like,” one motorcycle volunteer said.

Some Good Samaritans who joined the search have challenges getting around, but said the search is worth it.

“I’ll give up my Sunday, my Monday, my Tuesday — it doesn’t matter,” said one woman who was walking with a cane.

On the “Bring Avonte Home” Facebook page, anyone looking for Avonte was asked in all capital letters to “leave no stone unturned.”

“You may no longer be searching for a boy in a clean gray striped shirt. He may have changed his clothes, picked up a sweatshirt or coat, he may be soiled, he may be with someone else. It is important to look at his face. He may not appear exactly as he does in his photographs,” a Facebook post on the page read. “Look carefully, pay attention to detail. And remember, he may be hiding in a place you’d never think to look.”

The post advised that Avonte could be avoiding crowds and loud noises by “by hiding in a tiny nook – behind, under or in something.”

Avonte’s father, Daniel Oquendo, was heartened Sunday by the massive outpouring of assistance from complete strangers.

“It’s beautiful, it’s beautiful – I mean we’ve made so many new friends,” Daniel Oquendo said.

The police deployment, meanwhile, has been nothing short of staggering, with officers combing every nook and cranny.

[newyork.cbslocal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2013 01:41PM by askanewyorker.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 4?
Online Users

Guests: 11