Costco,Manhattan

Posted by askanewyorker 
Costco,Manhattan
November 12, 2009 04:45PM
[www.bloomberg.com]

Nov. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Costco Wholesale Corp., the largest U.S. warehouse club, is opening its first store on Manhattan today and is looking at other sites.

“This is a big deal for us,” Joe Portera, an executive vice president and chief operating officer of the eastern and Canadian division, said yesterday in an interview at the new store. “We’ve been trying to get in forever. It’s very important that we do another one.”

Costco executives searched for a Manhattan site for years to target the island’s higher-income population, said Portera, 57. The store, at East 116th St. off of the FDR Drive, is the fourth within New York City limits, with the others in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. Another store will open next year in Queens, he said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2009 04:47PM by askanewyorker.
Oracle?
Re: Costco,Manhattan
November 13, 2009 09:12AM
I'm sitting in the midst of chaos, getting ready to paint my apt. Everything from the bedroom and kitchen is piled up in the living room, with the refrigerator in the middle. What a mess! So much to do, and yet all I'm thinking of is making my way up to Costco today. I know, I'm insane. But I have been looking forward to this week's opening for ages. I just don't know how I'm going to find my way to the front door, and where I'll put my new purchases.
KT
November 13, 2009 12:43PM
When I saw this thread I immediately thought of you O! Happy Shopping
Oracle?
November 13, 2009 01:27PM
Just got home! My shoulders are aching from hauling two heavy sacks, but it's worth the effort. I'm really glad to have gone today, too. They're gearing up for huge crowds that are expected over the weekend. For you Costco shoppers out there, there was NO ONE ahead of me on line. I'm sure that will change, but it was a first for me, and a nice welcome from the new store. Too bad I now have to schlep out to Duane Reade for one roll of paper towels. There's no way I could carry or store the 12- or 24-roll packs from Costco.
November 14, 2009 01:38PM
The funny thing is, Costco is one of my favourite shopping destinations in the UK!

Whenever I fly into Kennedy airport, one of the first thing I notice is Costco!! I wonder if I can use my membership crad in New York....!!
Oracle?
November 14, 2009 01:58PM
You can probably use your card, or you're more than welcome to shop as my guest. But what would you buy there on vacation and how would you get it home?
November 15, 2009 02:43AM
I haven't got a clue!!! But, where there's a will, there's a way!!!
November 21, 2009 01:01PM
We had a joint membership, so it didn't work out too expensive to join. But we have walked round and round the Costco here many times, without buying a thing. Haven't got the space to store dozens of packs of toilet tissues any more. And it's not always cheaper than other stores...you have to know what things cost elsewhere & be selective.
Good fun though...and you can get a very cheap dinner there!
November 22, 2009 03:09AM
....or wait for 'money off' offers. Costco send you vouchers every now and then, for special deals.
Happy hunting!
November 22, 2009 07:26PM
I'm about to join Costco in Taipei as I have found it is the only place I can buy Australian crackers.
November 23, 2009 11:31PM
I thought of Oracle first thing too, and her rolling suitcase.
What a job you have going O, by painting your apt.

I have let my Costco membership expire, but I am missing it, especially as we have a new one near us. I like Costco for fun, unusual stuff, or higher end stuff. Sam's I have kept my membership because it's the cheapest place for milk, eggs, bread, and all other basics for the most part.

Australian crackers Marea? What brand, and what makes them so good?
November 24, 2009 11:52AM
I went to that Harlem store this past week. It was overwhelmed with lots of vary nasty, angry niggas. They almost whoopped my sorry ass.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 13 plus 13?
Online Users

Guests: 18