Tips for cooling a hot NYC studio apartment?

Posted by rf1279 
Tips for cooling a hot NYC studio apartment?
September 26, 2009 09:11AM
I live in a small studio apartment, and it gets VERY hot in the fall and spring. It's so hot that it's uncomfortable to have company over, and when I'm home alone I can't wear more than shorts and a tank top. (And even then I'm still sweating!)

During the summer I run the A/C pretty much full time, but we've reached the point in the fall where it's too cool outside for the A/C to kick in, even though I desperately need it. I keep the windows open (I'm lucky to have four of them, but I don't get much air because they face another building) and also run a window fan and another, smaller fan. It's difficult to keep the lights off since the building next door blocks almost all natural sunlight. During the day I can sometimes open my front door (the hallway is probably 20 degrees cooler than my apartment) but of course this isn't an option at night.

The best my building management could do was to turn off the radiator, but that doesn't really mean anything until the heat kicks in in the winter. I know this is a strange question, but with so many little apartments in New York, there must be somebody out there who's dealt with this. Any tips?
Oracle?
Re: Tips for cooling a hot NYC studio apartment?
September 26, 2009 11:31AM
Wow, that's crazy! If it's too hot, even with all your windows open, I hate to tell you, but you need to move out of there.
Get a fan and turn it on, that's what I do.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 20?
Online Users

Guests: 16