Where to eat, drink and be merry in Brooklyn?

Posted by Gemma 
My sister and i are visiting New York in March 2010, between the two of us we have been 7 times before and have stayed all over Manhattan and also in Queens. This time we're staying in Brooklyn. The Park Slope area.

It would be great to hear from anyone who can recommend good places to eat, friendly bars to drink in and anything fun to do that would give us a good feel for the place generally.

Thanks for your help
Oracle?
Re: Where to eat, drink and be merry in Brooklyn?
September 20, 2009 01:34PM
You'll love Brooklyn! So many wonderful neighborhoods to explore, and tons of cute local restaurants. Off the top of the my head, I can't remember the names of the terrific Park Slope restaurants I've been at recently. I'll have to post back when my brain kicks into gear.

In the meantime, I'll give you a couple of other Brooklyn favorites.

I recently had a wonderful (and very inexpensive!) dinner at Nine-D in nearby Carroll Gardens. It's a tiny place. We went early and sat in the window (good thing, because the a/c was broken, as mentioned in the first menupages review, attached). They couldn't have been nicer and even though it was pretty hot, it was worth staying. I could go for a plate of their curry puffs right now.

[www.menupages.com]

Last night I had dinner at a new Mexican place in Bay Ridge (three blocks from the subway, couldn't be easier to get there). It's called Los Polliltos. They were so friendly and the food is wonderful, also very cheap. I asked for pork enchiladas, which weren't on the menu, and they were delicious! The only downside is that they don't have a liquor license (yet...they might by the time you come). So no margaritas. But there's a bodega across the street that sells cold beer, so we had some Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Beer (sounds odd but was excellent!) with our yummy meal. Dinner for two was around $20.

[www.menupages.com]

I'll ask around and post some Slope recommendations.

In the meantime, if you like loud fun and music, and want a reason to explore Williamsburg, you've got to go to Brooklyn Bowl. The bowling is kind of secondary, it's really about the live music. Very good food (for a bowling alley!) too. And it's right next to Brooklyn Brewery, another Brooklyn must-see. (Note the times of their tours on their web site.)

[www.brooklynbowl.com]
[www.brooklynbrewery.com]

You might want to request a Big Apple Greeter. BAG is an organization of volunteer New Yorkers who love showing off their neighborhoods for FREE. Unfortunately, there are more requests than there are Greeters, but you could get lucky.
[www.bigapplegreeter.org]

Their web site has a lot of info too. Take a look at their neighborhood profiles, there are walking tours, including Park Slope:
[www.bigapplegreeter.org]
Oracle?
Re: Where to eat, drink and be merry in Brooklyn?
September 20, 2009 02:20PM
Here's a quickie list of recommended Park Slope restaurants. You can read reviews and see sample menus on menupages.com. You'll also find links to their own web sites, which will have more current prices than menupages.

Al di la
Stone Park Cafe
Blue Ribbon Brasserie
Blue Ribbon Sushi
Miriam
Belleville
Park Slope ChipShop
Coco Roco
Thankyou so much for your recommendations - we're ridiculously excited already and its still 5 months to go. For now we're making do with getting lots of ideas of good things to do. Love the sound of the bowling. If you think of anything else feel free to add again,

Thanks again smiling smiley
Also, if you want home made ice cream,chocolate then take the r train to86th Street and go to Hinsch's. It hasn't changed since 1962, and they make their own ice cream, syrups, whipped cream and chocolate candies. AND, the Real World Brooklyn taped there. You should it out.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 7?
Online Users

Guests: 6