Best nyc public golf courses?

Posted by Pedro 
Pedro
Best nyc public golf courses?
May 12, 2004 08:01AM
Can anyone tell me which of the several NYC public golf courses is rated the best? Does any of them have a view of the city skyline. Or, for that matter, is there any golf course, public or private that offers a view. I love to golf and will be visiting NYC this month...it would be a blast to line up a putt while looking at the Empire State Building.

Thanks
Clino
Re: Best nyc public golf courses?
May 12, 2004 08:31AM
Hey Pedro - try this site: www.nycteetimes.com

They'll be a brief description on courses (where; how to get to the where; fees; etc).

There isn't a public course in Manhattan, so you'll have to travel to one if you're staying in the city. Probably the easiest one to get to from Manhattan would be Van Courtland golf course (oldest public course in the US). It is a long course however, with lots of trees.

If you're able to travel by car, get to Pelham or Split Rock - with Pelham being the more forgiving (they both share the same club house). Be sure to bring plenty of Mosquito repellent to that one.

As far a city views, mmmm, can't say I know that one...maybe a course on Staten Island.

Good luck, any other questions - fire away.
NoBrainer
May 12, 2004 08:37AM
I think Chelsea Piers has a driving range. The view is of New Jersey, though.
Forester
May 12, 2004 08:53AM
Chelsea Piers does have a driving range (23rd and 12th Ave)

Try this link for getting around; probably a bit pricey, but...

[www.nygolfshuttle.com]
Mil Phickelson
May 12, 2004 04:58PM
That was good advice from Clino. But if you want to spend a little extra, and golf the BIG one. Go to Bethpage (Black course) - out in Long Island. The US Open was played there last year (i think). A beautiful course where only walking is allowed - no driving carts.

Good luck.
March 06, 2007 03:24PM
Here's a worthy golf store called The World of Golf
147 East 47 street
212-755-9398
I am in the golf business here in Texas and recently read an article about a golf course in New Jersey with great views of the Manhattan skyline. Not sure the name but I think it was along the Hudson River.

Hope this helps

Scott
March 14, 2007 01:26PM
You don't need to rent a car or leave the city to find a great public course. The first public golf course ever to open in the U.S. is Van Cortlandt Golf Course, and you can reach it on the subway, about an hour from midtown Manhattan. It's BEAUTIFUL, with rolling hills and lots of water.

[www.nycteetimes.com]
USOpen 2009
September 02, 2008 09:03AM
Out of stater, possible NYC weekend okay - need to know best way to get from NYC to Bethpage early enough to get to stands and back to city before nightfall, kids in tow. Have tickets to USOpen, first time & everything is booked already. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
Re: how to get tobethpage golf courses early on a sat. AM
May 12, 2009 07:51AM
June 08, 2009 05:27AM
Re: Best NYC public golf courses?
June 08, 2009 10:29AM
The Executive course par 3 Gorgeous!! in Rockland County 1 hr outside the city...also there's a regulation course that is equally as beautiful and challanging.

[nysparks.state.ny.us]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 10:33AM by askanewyorker.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 12?
Online Users

Guests: 15