Wood fired pottery New York

Posted by askanewyorker 
Wood fired pottery New York
October 12, 2008 07:52AM
I moved to Swanville Maine after living in New York City for 10 years. My wife Jody Johnstone is a potter who fires her work in a 25-foot wood-burning anagama kiln. Wood fired pottery is very unique and beautiful compared to the traditional gas or electric firing process. I'm in New York visitng my old college buddy, Kennedy and I was wondering if there are some obvious choices in galleries where I might go to talk to the gallery owner about representing Jody's work. [www.jodyjohnstonepottery.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2008 07:54AM by askanewyorker.
Re: Wood fired pottery New York
October 12, 2008 05:08PM
I love it, and am placing an order today! teapot and cups, for an xmas gift.
October 18, 2008 05:17PM
I've been to Jody Johnstone's studio in Swanville, Maine. There is a beautiful selection of wood fired pottery at very affordable prices! If you collect wood fired pottery it's worth the trip. Jody appreniced in Bizen, Japan and fires her work in a traditional anagama kiln. To learn more about Jody Johnstone, wood fired pottery and her anagama kiln check out her website at [www.jodyjohnstonepottery.com]
November 10, 2008 09:28AM
This is a great pottery store that also offers classes in Hells Kitchen called Mud Sweat and Tears on 10th Ave between 46-47th street

[www.yelp.com]

Wonderful pottery studio/store! I took a variety of classes here, and then became a studio potter for awhile until time and money forced us to part ways. The classes are great- all of the instructors are very nice and helpful, and, most importantly, PATIENT. In fact, pretty much everyone at the studio is really nice and helpful- it is a close community of very supportive amateur and professional potters.
Almost everything for sale in the store is made by the potters who belong to the studio- even the earrings they sell are made by one of their own! The studio/shop is a true labor of love for the owner, who is one of the studio potters and instructors himself.
Go check out some of the pieces made by some former students, and you might be inspired to hit the wheel yourself!

History

Potters have been forming vessels from clay bodies for millions of years. When nomadic man settled down and discovered fire, the firing of clay pots was not far behind. Pinch pots, made from balls of clay into which fingers or thumbs are inserted to make the opening, may have been the first pottery. Coil pots, formed from long coils of clay that are blended together, were not far behind. These first pots were fired at low temperatures and were thus fragile and porous. Ancient potters partially solved this by burnishing the surfaces with a rock or hard wood before firing. These low-temperature fired pots were blackened by these fires. Decoration was generally the result of incisions or insertions of tools into soft clay. Early potters created objects that could be used for practical purposes, as well as objects that represented their fertility gods.

The civilizations of ancient Egypt and the Middle East utilized clay for building and domestic use as early a 5000 B.C. By 4000 B.C., the ancient Egyptians were involved in pottery on a much larger scale. They utilized finer clays and fired the pieces at much higher temperatures in early kilns that removed the pots from the direct fire so they were not blackened from the fire. Bricks from clay were used as building material as well. The ancient Chinese produced black pottery by 3500 B.C. with round bases and plaited decoration. Closer to 1000 B.C. the Chinese used the potter's wheel and developed more sophisticated glazes. Their pottery was often included in funeral ceremonies. In the first millennium B.C., the Greeks began throwing pots on wheels and creating exquisite forms. Pre-Colombians, ancient Iberians, the ancient Romans (who molded pottery with raised decoration), and the ancient Japanese all created beautiful pottery for domestic use as well as for religious purposes.

Until the mid-eighteenth century, European potters generally sold small quantities of completed wares at a market or through merchants. If they wanted to sell more, they took more wares to market. However, British production potters experimented with new body types, perfected glazes, and took orders for products made in factories rather than taking finished goods to the consumer. By the later eighteenth century, many fellow potters followed suit, experimenting with all kinds of new bodies and glazes. Molds were used to make mass quantities of consistent product so that the consumer could be assured of the look of this piece.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2008 11:37AM by askanewyorker.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 12 plus 19?
Online Users

Guests: 9