What's not to miss in NYC ?

Posted by nat 
nat
What's not to miss in NYC ?
July 19, 2003 12:01PM
We are planning to go to NYC in Mid August, we are foreigners. Wanted to see all the main attraction, but also, wants to travel like a New Yorker......All suggesstion from the New Yorker and everybody who've been to New York would be great help for us to make a list of What to do, what to see, and where to go?

thank you very much for your time.

Nat and Friends. smiling smiley
Here's a list- but it really depends on your interests

- WTC site
- Empire State Building
- Statue of Liberty + Ellis Island
- Intrepid Air space Museum
- Any great art museum: Met, Moma, Frick
- Central Park
- Times Square
- Wall Street
- South street Seaport
- Go to a comedy club
- Lincoln Center
- Coney Island

Whew! There is a lot to see!

AB
There are a lot of things to check out in the city. But lets say be different and visit other places to. like Chinatown, or Little Italy and even Harlem.In order to get the feel of the city you should vist places that make New York even wonderful smiling smiley
Jen
Re: What's not to miss in NYC ?
July 22, 2003 09:27AM
Here's my list. smiling smiley

Empire State Building...since the WTC is gone this is the best place to go to see the city. I suggest going at night...its beautiful. Take a jacket or sweatshirt b/c it can get very windy and cool up there.

South Street Seaport...[www.southstreetseaport.com] They have lots of fun stuff in the summer...jazz concerts and all. Plus it has great views of the brooklyn bridge. If you're feeling really adventurous walk over the bridge and get awesome views from the Brooklyn Promenade.

From SSS its an easy walk up to wall street, city hall, Ground Zero, and Battery Park. All just "See from the street" things...very easy to do in a couple hours or so. From Battery park you can see the statue of Liberty. If its a nice day take the ferry out to it. You can't go in the statue anymore, but you can walk around the grounds. It will take longer, but its fun.

Shopping - Macy's and Bloomingdale's are a must for first timers. Chinatown is also TONS of fun, but very crowded and can be kinda overwhelming.

Met Museum of Art...if that's your kind of thing. I could spend days in there. Its great and they usually have some cool special exhibits. [www.metmuseum.org]

Rockefeller Center - just a fun place to hang out. If you're there during the week go ahead and wake up early to be in the outside crowd at the Today show.

5th avenue. Need I say more? Fabulous shopping. Tiffany & Co, Saks, FAO Schwartz. Plus it takes you to the Plaza, which is a must see, and then right to the edge of Central Park, which you HAVE to walk through. GO ahead and take a morning to do this, and wear good walking shoes. I love starting at the park in the morning (around 55th st) and walking up to the museum, which is around 85th. Its a good walk, but won't take all morning and you get to see a lot. I'll eat lunch at the museum. It closes at 5, so then I finish my walk in the park after I leave.

Lincoln Center...if you're into music stuff this is a must do. See if you can get the behind the scenes tour through the met opera house. One of the coolest things I've done in NYC. [www.metmuseum.org]

Times Square...Its like daytime at night with all of the lights. Also...find the times square visitors center. They have lots of info on shows, restaurants, etc.

The United Nations - I was a political science major, so this was right up my alley. But might not be your thing. The tour takes about an hour. I found it VERY interesting.

Restaurants - definitely have the concierge at your hotel suggest some good restaurants for your family. Don't eat anywhere you could eat at home.
Jen
July 22, 2003 09:34AM
oh...i forgot. Try to schedule a tour of a neighborhood with big apple greater. There is a link in the "useful links" section. They have guides that speak foreign languages, so they may be able to accomodate you there if you want that. And its free!
nat
July 23, 2003 12:21AM
Thank you so much, they're all sounds interesting.......... ^__^
nat
July 23, 2003 12:35AM
Wow !!! Thanks a lot......
: )
April 01, 2004 05:56PM
tuti statue of liberty
Kelly
April 03, 2004 08:13AM
interesting that Tuti pulled up this discussion from last July, to tell us not to miss the statue of liberty. But, actually, Tuti's timing is pretty good, since the news last week about it (partially) reopening after being closed down since Sep. 11.
Always,
April 03, 2004 09:10AM
the Brooklyn bridge at sunset with a bottle of wine!
September 26, 2007 06:38AM
Jimmys Corner! 140 West 44th
smileys with beer
[nymag.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 06:43AM by askanewyorker.
September 26, 2007 07:49PM
For a grand sunset-enhanced view of the Statue of Liberty, head down to the promenade that runs along the hudson down below the World Financial Center, and then walk, walk, walk south along this wonderful walkway until you come to this terrific iron sculpture that was inspired by the head of Lady Liberty herself. If I remember correctly, there is a arching, semi-spiral stairway on each side leading up to a platform which rests just below the "crown". From here, you have an amazing view of the statue. Not only is this a not-to-be-missed place/view/experience in nyc, it can be everything from a wonderfully romantic spot for popping the big Q to just a plain old great spot for letting your hair down and having some good old fashioned fun in the big city!
....er, P.S. - hope the piece is still there! It HAS been a while (can you say a decade-PLUS?!?!?!)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 9?
Online Users

Guests: 5