Travelling to New York alone

Posted by Kelvin 
Travelling to New York alone
March 04, 2008 05:32AM
Hi, I am planning a trip to NYC probably in May or June. I am wondering if it is easy to navigate myself around NYC? I am planning to stay at Amsterdam Ave - Hostelling International. I will be heading there alone and if anyone can give me pointers, that will be helpful.
I don't mind meeting and making new friends. Drop me a line.
My email is mexdexus@yahoo.com

Thanks again
Kelvin
Re: Travelling to New York alone
March 04, 2008 06:41AM
Where are you from Kelvin?
It's very easy to get around NYC. You an walk everwhere and the subway system is extremely effecient, well for the most part.
Kelvin

I stayed at the hostel on Amsterdam in 2002. It's an excellent place to stay - safe, secure, clean.

Getting around is easy as the subway is only one block away at 103 St/Broadway. You can get the #1 train. Or you can walk to Central Park West for the A, B, C and D trains.

You ask if it's easy to navigate the city - it is quite a way away from Greenwich Village and about a fifteen minute trip to Times Square.

You can take the 7 and 11 buses uptown and downtown from Amsterdam Avenue and/or Columbus Avenue. Well, you could when I was there smiling smiley You can always check the MTA's web site for buses and subways
I am from Singapore and 29 yrs.
I never been to New York before so I am guessing it will be fun to have a feel of the Big Apple.

Is it easy to make friends in NYC or any places where I can get to know the locals?
March 04, 2008 07:10PM
Thanks Austin. this information is helpful.
I think if the hostel is walking distance away from the subway or
other places of interests, I am fine. I dun mind walking.

Were you there alone previously? I would love to meet some great New Yorkers there! Seen the Travel and Living Channel and there is this great cab driver that if you r lucky enough, he will show you the place around.

Nonetheless, I take whatever info I can get.
Kelvin

At the time, I was what may be termed getting on in years - 46.winking smiley

Walking really is a great way to see New York and all the locals were great to me. I never had any trouble even whilst travelling the subway at 4am from Greenwich Village back to the hostel which has 24 hour access.

Even using the cafe inside the hostel was good because you get to meet loads of people from all over the world,

As long as you take all the usual precautions you should have a great time. I did and returned a further three times.smiling smiley
KT(aka Daisiegee etc)
March 05, 2008 09:47AM
Kelvin, have you heard of the Big Apple Greeter service ( www.bigapplegreeter.org) This is a fabulous way of seeing a part of the city. Visits are limited so apply asap!
March 06, 2008 03:51AM
Yes. I heard of it. And I hope they do a 1 person guide.

Great, all this information are helpful and for those who are
heading for a trip to the Big Apple, do let me know as well.

Cheers
Kelvin
March 06, 2008 11:31AM
Kelvin, maybe you will be lucky and get CASH CAB! [dsc.discovery.com]

Ben the driver/host will ask you trivia questions, and you can win a free ride and cash.

Truth be told though, it is so much easier to get around on the subway and on foot, than in a cab. It is always my last resort while there.

It is great to travel alone and have your own agenda. I have yet to travel to NYC alone, and look forward to it.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 29