Entering a sublet agreement from a far distance

Posted by JulesRules 
Entering a sublet agreement from a far distance
March 05, 2008 02:53PM
Hi all,

I have a plan to come to NYC this summer, months June, July and August. Because of budget reasons, I'm thinking of subletting/room mating. So, I've been checking out Craigslist and since yesterday, thanks to this site, nyhabitat.com (the room mate-share section).

I'd like to hear your thoughts on my housing plan:
My plan is to book a very cheap hotel, hostel, bed & breakfast or even YMCA for my first week in NYC. Then, on my first day in NYC I plan to check out the sublet ads on craigslist/nyhabitat so I can actually visit and see/meet my future room mate(s).
I'm a bit hesitant in entering a sublet agreement from a far distance (I live in Europe), with someone I don't know.

I'm curious to read your ideas!

One other thing:
Now I understand craigslist contains private ads, but nyhabitat is an agency, right? Would you say that it's safe(r) to do business with them from a distance?

Oh, and one other thing smiling smiley
I see no mentioning of electricity costs in the sublet ads I've seen. May I assume that energy/electricity/water costs are included in the price, normally spoken?

thanks!
Jules
I think your plan sounds good. I wouldn't put the YMCA at the bottom of your list though. The Vanderbilt Y and the West Side Y are both in terrific locations.

I can't help with your other question. I have a feeling that sometimes utilities are included, but the ad should state that.

Good luck to you!
Re: Entering a sublet agreement from a far distance
March 06, 2008 02:26PM
Oracle? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think your plan sounds good. I wouldn't put the
> YMCA at the bottom of your list though. The
> Vanderbilt Y and the West Side Y are both in
> terrific locations.
>

Thank you for this. Will do.

What about nyhabitat? Reliable?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 17?
Online Users

Guests: 6