smiling smiley First Visit To New York (EXCITED!!!)

Posted by Diane W 
smiling smiley First Visit To New York (EXCITED!!!)
November 26, 2013 11:50AM
Hi,I'm coming to NY for the first time in December & I'm soooo excited.This has been my dream forever & my luvly hubby has just surprised me with this trip!!!
There is so much I want to see & do,can anyone recommend what is the best way to go about not missing anything,please? we are staying 4 nights/5 days smiling smiley
Tom
Re: smiling smiley First Visit To New York (EXCITED!!!)
November 26, 2013 12:27PM
Hello Diane!

That is wonderful that you are coming to New York in December. May I ask where you are coming from? How will you be arriving, and do you know where you will be staying? December in New York like anywhere else can be festive during the Holiday season, but can also be very cold. I advise you to take extra precautions with clothes, and to check the weather forecast during your stay.

A bit more about you and your husband's personality style would help - it may be easier to recommend sights activities or how to proceed with them by knowing more about you guys.

Hope I can help!

Tom
November 26, 2013 01:18PM
Hi Tom,

Thankyou for your prompt response smiling smiley

We are flying into Newark from the UK & we are staying in Manhattan.

My husband is keen to try the helicopter ride,I'm not so sure,lol!!!
I'm more timid (scared!!!) but he usually gets me to be a bit more daring.
I want to see sights & shop.People are telling me to do certain things at night & save shopping until last?
I have already stocked up on hats & jumpers,as been told it's a bit nippy!!!

Diane smiling smiley
November 26, 2013 05:28PM
What a wonderful husband!!!! I am trying to get mine to take me to the UK, Sunderland to be specific smiling smiley

I recommend not staying in the Time Square area. New York has so much more to offer. The Upper West Side is a lot of fun especially if you are a fan of the movie You Got Mail with Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan as it was filmed all over there. You are in a real neighborhood vs a tourist area. I love watching all the kids and nannies popping out at 3:00 looking for after school snacks.

I recommend Top of The Rock vs the Empire State Building. MUCH LESS of a line and you can see the ESB from TofTR.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has a great rooftop of view

Rooftop bars are always fun too [gothamist.com]

Ach! Writing this is making me yearn for my favorite city. Enjoy your planning!!!
Tom
November 26, 2013 11:08PM
Manhattan can be a very delirious place with a standing population of 1.5 million which doubles to about 3 million during the day (according to estimates) - as the most densely populated of the Five Boroughs of NYC, this is where most of "the action" is, and where most of your sightseeing over the course of a week will probably take place. Understand: Manhattan is about 12 to 13 miles long and little more than 2 1/2 miles wide. Without even dipping into all the possibilities that await you should you choose to explore the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn or Staten Island - it is best to start with the basics about Manhattan.

There are three basic jurisdictions that subdivide Manhattan; being acquainted with the terms Downtown, Midtown and Uptown will help you understand where you are on Manhattan Island. Going into more detail, I will begin with Midtown where your home base of operations is likely to be, and where many of the iconic attractions that you will instantly recognize as being "so New York" are.

Midtown Manhattan can loosely be described as a vast area between 14th Street and 59th Street, from Hudson to East Rivers. More specifically, the heart of Midtown which will appeal to you may be located between 8th and 5th Avenues, from about 34th Street to 59th Street where Central Park begins. From 34th Street between 8th and 7th Avenues you will find Pennsylvania (Penn) Station - follow 34th Street east to the corner of 6th Avenue and you will find Macy's World Famous Department Store, and a block away at 34th Street and 5th Avenue, the Empire State Building. Continuing uptown (note: I didn't say north) on 5th Avenue, you will pass the famed New York Public Library at 42nd Street. From this point, you can turn east towards iconic Grand Central Station, and if you turned west 42nd Street would take you past Bryant Park towards Times Square. But assuming you walked further up 5th Avenue instead, you would eventually pass Rockefeller Center and Saint Patrick's Cathedral, and further up until you see the legendary Plaza Hotel, toy store FAO Schwarz, and the horse-drawn carriages that still wait for riders at the edges of Central Park. This is a jam-packed area that no one on their first trip to New York wants to miss, especially during the Holiday Season.

That said, some trips to New York often end there. And that is a shame. As another comment revealed, as incredible and wonderful as these things are: New York is more than that! As mentioned, above Midtown and hugging each side of Central Park you will find the Upper East and West Sides, and Harlem and other neighborhoods beyond. These are worth noting, but for a first trip to New York, I would sincerely consider what Downtown, or Lower Manhattan, has to offer.

This area can be described as 14th Street all the way down to the southern tip of Manhattan Island. Starting from that tip, known as the Battery, you will see where the Dutch started a trading post in the 1600s called New Amsterdam, with great sight lines of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, as well as the beautiful Brooklyn Bridge. This is where the World Trade Center was, and is now being reconstructed. This is the Financial District whose heart is legendary Wall Street - also where George Washington was inaugurated the First President of the United States. If you are interested in the Dutch and British history of early New York, this is where to begin. At Bowling Green at the foot of Broadway, the wrought-iron fence that stood in 1776 still stands, though a Statue of King George is long gone and was torn down after the Declaration of Independence was first read aloud. Proceeding uptown from here, north of the Brooklyn Bridge and City Hall where the Mayor of New York reigns supreme, you will pass through hip neighborhoods Tribeca and SoHo to the west, exotic Chinatown, Little Italy and the Lower East Side to the east, and becoming Greenwich Village beyond that, dominated by Washington Square and the campus of NYU, and flanked by the East and West Villages as they are so divided.

And this is only Manhattan we are talking about. And I am only painting with a broad brush the lay of the land. Overwhelming to take it all in? If it is, that is okay. That is normal. There are a lot of places to consider when planning your trip. I will pause and continue my thoughts in a few. Your trip should be special and more than you thought it could be, but you should understand everything you can about it. For the moment, I hope this continues to be helpful as food-for-thought.
November 27, 2013 09:55AM
Congratulations! It's a great time to visit. Just be prepared for huge crowds wherever you go. The best way to see the holiday store windows is late in the evening, after 10 p.m. (I think they stay lit until around 11). Favorite Fifth Avenue store windows are Lord & Taylor (38th St.), Bergdorf Goodman (58th St.), Tiffany's (57th St.). And Saks Fifth Avenue's (50th St.) outdoor display is always wonderful. Watch it from across the street, just be prepared for huge crowds. Here's a sample:

[www.youtube.com]

I'd definitely skip the helicopter ride. Their safety records aren't good. Go to the Empire State Building at night, and the Top of the Rock first thing in the morning.

To avoid the most crowded times, go late in the evening to the Empire State Bldg. observatory. And don't let them sell you their "Sky Ride" (a complete waste of time), or tickets to their 102nd floor observatory, which is totally enclosed and not as nice as the 86th floor.

If you're here before Christmas Day, visit the gift stalls at Bryant Park, Union Square, Columbus Circle and Grand Central Terminal. Christmas Eve caroling at Washington Square Park and Gramercy Park. Ice skating at Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park.

If you haven't already bought your Radio City Christmas Spectacular tickets, do so now!

Have a fab time!
Tom
November 27, 2013 10:23AM
In Manhattan, most but not all streets are one-way regarding traffic. If you are interested in taking a taxi cab at any point during your stay, be aware of this. Hailing a cab on 8th Avenue with the desire to travel downtown while traffic flows uptown will cost you in time and money, and isn't a sensible move. Walking over to 9th or 7th Avenues and hailing a taxi cab is the better move in this situation, though if your plan is to go somewhere that is downtown but on the east side rather than the west side, choose the traffic-appropriate spot that is closer to your destination (7th Avenue in this example). With a few exceptions, traffic patterns alternate between Avenues, the same for cross streets. Taxis can be expensive. If you use them, use them wisely.

Because traffic patterns are mostly one-way (with a few exceptions), when you cross at a majority of intersections in Manhattan you may observe New Yorkers, if they turn their heads to look at all at any oncoming traffic, are only looking one way in the direction the traffic is coming from. The expression look both ways before you cross the road rarely applies here. You may observe New Yorkers crossing streets in a death-defying way in order to beat oncoming traffic, or taking advantage of stopped traffic, or jaywalking (a common practice) to save time. Be cautious and walk at your own pace, but when in doubt, it is okay to go with the flow. If 20 people are stopped at the corner with you, and they all decide to cross the street, you can too. If all 20 people walking around you continue to walk across the street without stopping at the corner, it is okay to keep up with the flow, being mindful that pedestrians have the right of way, and even when they don't, New Yorkers assert themselves so they do. All this being said, stay safe if you do feel unsure about crossing an intersection rapidly. Just be aware: New Yorkers around you may not pause because you stop, so make sure to step a bit out of the way if you do.

Apart from taxi cabs, which can be a useful comfort but costly, and walking, I recommend you study how to use the New York Subway System. Familiarizing yourself with its signage and ins and outs now will help you when you use it when you are there. Unlike many Metro systems in the world, the New York subway runs virtually 24/7. That said, knowing the difference between an Uptown train and a Downtown train, as well as the differences between a Local train that makes every stop along a Line and an Express train that skips stops along the route will be key. Though separated by colors, no New Yorker says they are taking the Green or the Red Line. They are called the 4,5,6 trains (green) and the 1,2,3 (red) trains. In New York, you can also take the A,C,E trains or the N,Q,R trains - and more.

[www.mta.info]

The subway system in New York may appear intimidating, but can be your lifeline in reaching destinations that are many neighborhoods apart. And, if you choose to step out of Manhattan, the subway system will take you out to the Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn. Staten Island can be reached by the free Staten Island Ferry located at Battery Park - if you want to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island but not necessarily spend a whole day committed to those activities, the Staten Island Ferry is the best alternative, and runs 24/7 as well.

It is important to enjoy being in Manhattan, but if you want to step back and see the Manhattan skyline, either the Staten Island Ferry or walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, or taking a train to Queens (to view Midtown) or Brooklyn (to view Downtown) are recommended. Brooklyn is a highly-recommended Borough to explore on its own, if you are interested in a break from Manhattan. The Brooklyn Heights Promenade offers splendid views, and is in walking distance of the Brooklyn Bridge.

If you are interested in museums, schedule time for that - but there are many to choose from. If you are into history, there are many different major and minor historic sites, depending on your specific interests. And we haven't even really touched the topic of dining and nightlife yet. You have a lot to think about.
November 27, 2013 12:19PM
Oh wow!!!

You have all been really helpful,thankyou smiling smiley

The travel agent told my husband to just get a taxi from Newark airport to the hotel,The Roosevelt,but now people that have been are telling us that it will be very expensive :/
Can anyone tell me what sort of price to expect for this please?

I'm counting sleeps now!!!

Please continue with your helpful hints & tips,I like reading them,

Thankyou,

Diane smiling smiley
November 27, 2013 01:31PM
What makes taxis impractical from Newark is that New York's yellow taxis aren't allowed to pick up fares there, and New Jersey taxis are very expensive. It'll cost $70+ to Manhattan. The rail connection is easy -- Airtrain to NJ Transit to Penn Station, but it's not convenient either since your hotel is on the east side and Penn Station is on the west side.

I would suggest one of two options. You can pre-arrange a car service, such as Carmel or Dial7. You'll find discount coupons on their web sites. Do NOT pre-pay, just pre-book. The second option is the express bus, which stops near Grand Central, which is a short walk from your hotel. Here's a direct link:
[www.coachusa.com]

Whatever you do, DO NOT use Super Shuttle, GoAirlink, or any other shared van service. They are seriously horrible! You can google for horror stories, or just trust me and avoid them.
Tom
November 27, 2013 06:43PM
Re: Airtrain to NJ Transit to Penn Station

If you go with this option, there are cabs outside of Penn Station that will take you to your hotel. It may or may not be something you want to pursue, depending on how much luggage you are carrying (or want to carry) from train to train. It is an option that works for many, but it may not work for you. But, for what it's worth, a cab ride from Penn Station to your hotel near Grand Central will be cheaper than any cab ride straight from New Jersey.
November 30, 2013 02:55PM
Hi,me again!!!

Can anyone advise on the 2 day passes you can buy to save money on all the tourist attractions please?

Thankyou,

Diane smiling smiley
November 30, 2013 03:47PM
We stayed at The Roosevelt twice. First time because it was a great deal Oracle told us about. Second time because it was close to friends who were at the Waldorf. I love the lobby and it's a great location. Rooms are just so-so but not there much.

Our second trip we took the train after visiting family in Maryland and had a horrific time getting a taxi from Penn Station. Finally walked a few blks and hailed one. We have used the Carmel car service several times from LaGuardia and they are really good. The cost from the airport using them is only a few dollars more than a taxi and much better service. Besides, a town car is ever so much nicer.

Not a fan of taxis. Would rather walk, bus, or subway and in that order. Subway is great if you are in a hurry, faster than cabs I have found. Get your MTA pass as soon as you arrive at Central Station.

For a nice breakfast turn left and walk up the hill from the Roosevelt and just past 3rd on the right side of 45th is The Comfort Diner. There is also a laundry there our friends used. Drop your clothes and pick up the next day. Le Pain Quotidien is also a nice place for breakfast.

If you want to take a tour your first day to just get the feel of things and learn the subway, I highly recommend [www.tripadvisor.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 7 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 14