Visa run Canada on B1/B2 visa

Posted by Stefan 
Visa run Canada on B1/B2 visa
January 14, 2013 06:54AM
Hi,
I am a German medical student and I am doing eight months of rotation in the US. I have a B1/B2 visa from a recent clerkship in California. The last time I entered the US with this visa they gave me 6 months, which I learnt is the maximum they may give me initially. I right now plan on doing a visa run to Canada for a weekend at the end of these 6 months, but I am unsure if this works and if I get enough time to finish my rotation. This would be much better than spending almost $ 300,- on an application for extension of my stay. I can show the officers proper evidence of what I am doing and when and that I m u s t return to Germany to graduate, have enough financial means etc etc. Medical students may rotate on B1/B2 (I did that before).
What would you do in my case? First try the visa run to Canada and apply for extension only if they do not give me enough time on my return? Would there be any restrictions in that case? Or to do the visa run back to Germany in the first place? Is anybody here who has extended his/her period of stay on B1/B2 and is willing to tell his story?
Many thanks.
You will probably get interviewed extensively when you try to re-enter the U.S. after a full 6 month of stay.
The first issue will be whether what you do is permissible with a B-1 Visa. The fact that they let you once does not mean that they are obligated at all to let you re-enter again. Your admission to the U.S. is at the discretion of the immigration officer at the Customs.
I would not recommend you to take a trip to Canada and try to re-enter, unless it would not bother you too much if they decide not to let you re-enter.

Best regards,

Simone Bertollini, Esq.
www.simonebertollini.com
Re: Visa run Canada on B1/B2 visa
February 16, 2013 10:33PM
Apply for the extension. It will probably cost you $300 to go to Canada and you won't be assured that you will be allowed back in.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 4?
Online Users

Guests: 15