Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hungarian!

Posted by Wendy P. 
Wendy P.
Hungarian!
June 29, 2003 08:44AM
Dear readers:
I recently discovered (after a trip to Budapest) a Hungarian restaurant called Mocca, at 2nd ave between 82/83 St)
I can't say much for the atmosphere in the place, but the food is authentic Hungarian and tastes great, and is cheap!
and just down the street at 1560 Second Ave at 81st St is a hungarian butcher shop. I haven't seen anything else like it anywhere else in NYC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2010 08:48AM by askanewyorker.
Re: Hungarian!
June 30, 2003 01:47PM
There are lots of Hungarians in this part of Yorkville. If you go down the side streets you'll also find Hungarian bookstores.
November 01, 2005 03:05PM
Do you have a recipe for whorka (sp?). I am trying to find out how to make it. My grandmother made it and she is gone now and no one knows where to find it.
Thank you.
Jeannette
Imre
November 07, 2007 07:09PM
whorka is spelled hurka in hungarian. You might find the recipe using this spelling...
January 02, 2011 02:43PM
The spam prevention ask me how much is 4+11 . Like I'm the only one in the world who can figure that out ! smiling bouncing smiley
The item you refer to is spelled and pronounced hurka. Goggle it and I'm sure there are plenty of recipes out there. If you can't find any let me know and I'll try to find it for you. It would help if you could or would speak magyarul.
I'm over here now for 51 years, and I still can't figure out why people try to pronounce foreign names and words as if it were American-English.

If you are in NYC, there used to be a German restaurant on the I think the SE corner of 86 th St and 2 nd Ave, toward 1 st Ave. A family named Edler used to own it in 64. I wonder if they are still there, but I doubt it. I would like to track them down.
Thank You,AOJ
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 17