by:

Posted & filed under BREAKING NEWS, General, NEWS, Parenting.

The great Kate wait is over. The Duchess of Cambridge has given birth to a beautiful baby boy  Just like the baby’s late Grand Mother Princess Diana, the baby’s favorite City after London is sure to be New York. Diana loved New York and spent a lot  of time here.

Both Prince William and The Duchess are said to be over the moon following the birth of their first born child and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is delighted. The new baby boy is now third in line to the British throne after Prince Charles and William. Based on succession right’s the new Royal should eventually become a King!

In keeping with Royal protocol and following many hours in labor for Kate, the Queen was the first person outside of the hospital to be told of the Royal birth. Her Majesty was informed via an encrypted telephone that could not be intercepted or hacked.

Before 1948 all Royal babies were born at home and with the Home Secretary present. This was done to ensure the baby was not swapped at birth. Now times have changed and the latest Royal just like Prince William and Harry has entered earth at St. Mary’s Hospital in Paddington.

Hundred’s of well-wishers from around the world were outside St. Mary’s and Buckingham Palace along with media crews to record this historic moment. Unlike previous additions to the Windsor family news of this royal birth is generating a buzz on social media, with the baby birth becoming the top trending topic on Twitter. Hundreds of mothers on parenting website Mumsnet have also been offering Kate moral support on this memorable day.

Meanwhile, tourists with cameras peered through the Palace gates on the off-chance of spotting the easel, which was placed on the forecourt detailing confirmation of the birth.

The months of speculation and anticipation – dubbed the Great Kate Wait – built to a climax on Monday at Dawn amid news that the Duchess  had been admitted to hospital and was in the early stages of labor. Then after hours and hours of waiting the baby boy codenamed “baby Cambridge” by hospital staff finally arrived.

Being born onto the world’s stage with international attention seems a fitting start to life for this newborn. The baby boy is front page news from birth and will no doubt will be making headlines for decades to come.

 

 

by:

Posted & filed under BREAKING NEWS, General, History, NEWS, Politics.

Former White House Correspondent Helen Thomas, whose career dated back to the Kennedy administration has died at the age of 92. The Gridiron Club announced her death in an email to members. For members of the media, especially women Thomas will be remembered as a journalistic pioneer who became the constant feature in the White House briefing room. Presidents would come and go but Helen was always there. Thomas was indeed a woman of firsts.

Thomas was the first woman to join the White House Correspondents’ Association, and the first woman to serve as its president. She was also the first female member of the Gridiron Club, Washington’s historic press group. Thomas served for 57 years at United Press International, first as a correspondent then as a White House bureau chief, before becoming a columnist for Hearst Papers.

“Former Gridiron Club president Helen Thomas, our first female member, died Saturday morning at her Washington apartment after a long illness,” Gridiron’s Carl P. Leubsdorf wrote in an email to members. “She would have been 93 next month.”

Present at the press briefings of ten consecutive presidential administrations, Thomas earned a front-row seat at White House press briefings. Beyond Washington, her status as a trailblazing female reporter made her name a cultural reference point, even invoked in an episode of “the Simpsons.”

(WATCH: Thomas in the W.H. briefing room)

Sadly, Thomas’s impressive career in journalism ended abruptly in 2010 when controversial remarks she made about Israeli Jews to a Rabbi were caught on camera. Thomas, a daughter of Lebanese immigrants, told the Rabbi that Israel should “get the hell out of Palestine,” and that the Jewish people should go home to “Poland, Germany … and America and everywhere else.”

On Saturday, Thomas’s colleagues expressed sadness and shared memories of the veteran reporter on Twitter.

“Helen Thomas made it possible for all of us who followed: woman pioneer journalist broke barriers died today wld have been 93 nxt month RIP,” Andrea Mitchell, the NBC News chief foreign affairs correspondent wrote.

Born in Winchester, Kentucky in 1920, Thomas was one of nine children, and raised in Detroit, Michigan. She wrote three books over the course of her career: “Front Row at the White House: My Life and Times” (1999); “Thanks for the Memories Mr. President: Wit and Wisdom from the Front Row at the White House” (2002); and “Watchdogs of Democracy? The Waning Washington Press Corps and How it Has Failed the Public” (2006).

Let us remember Helen Thomas for all she did throughout her career and the difference she made for women in the news business.

RIP HELEN THOMAS!

by:

Posted & filed under Dining & Nightlife, Fashion, General, NEWS, Shopping.

As we wait for the Royal baby to arrive, it is nice to see some novel ideas emerging to pass the time.  Who Made the Cake in Houston, Texas is making  a life-size cake in the form of the Duchess of Cambridge, holding the royal  baby. Well a it is a way of passing the time as we wait for the heir to the British throne. It also goes to prove that you can have your Kate and eat it too!

The bakeshop plans to showcase the cake this  weekend at Bridal Extravaganza, a wedding convention in Houston.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2371094/Let-eat-Kate-Houston-bakery-assembling-life-size-cake-Kate-Middleton-holding-royal-baby.html#ixzz2ZYyCSvGW Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

by:

Posted & filed under General, Politics.

 

 President Barack Obama called on the nation to engage in “soul searching.” Making his first public remarks Friday in the wake of the controversy over the acquittal of volunteer neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin the President said: “The question, for me, at least, and I think for a lot of folks is, ‘Where do we take this?'” Obama said. “How do we learn some lessons from this and move in a positive direction?”
President Obama’s remarks were delivered in a surprise appearance at a sparsely attended Friday afternoon White House press briefing and served as some of the most extensive and personal remarks Obama has made on race since he became president. “When Trayvon Martin was first shot, I said that this could have been my son,” Obama said. “Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me, 35 years ago.” Like other African-American men, Obama said he has been followed in department stores and heard the click of car locks when he has walked past. “I don’t want to exaggerate this, but those sets of experiences inform how the African-American community interprets what happened one night in Florida,” Obama said. “And it’s inescapable for people to bring those experiences to bear.” Obama said he’s talking with aides about steps that can be taken to avoid such incidents, including a possible review of the controversial “stand your ground” laws in nearly two dozen states. Though the Florida law wasn’t used in Zimmerman’s defense, Obama asked if Martin “was of age and armed, could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk?” But he said that despite criticism of the trial, it was handled “in a professional manner” and that “once the jury’s spoken, that’s how our system works.”
Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2013/07/20/4616794/obama-travyon-martin-could-have.html#storylink=cpy

by:

Posted & filed under BREAKING NEWS, General, New Yorker Insider.

NEW YORK – As  sweltering heat and humidity continued to broil New Yorkers electric usage in Con Edison’s service area fell just short of an  all-time peak, reaching 13,161 megawatts yesterday. The all-time  electric peak record of 13,189 MW was set on July 22, 2011.

The  company continued to urge customers to use energy wisely as New Yorkers in the  city’s five boroughs and Westchester cope with sizzling heat and stifling  humidity.

Meanwhile,  Con Edison crews continue to work tirelessly in the intense heat conditions to  restore customers impacted by scattered power outages. As of 6 p.m. today, the  company had restored electric service to approximately 11,500 customers since  the heat wave began earlier in the week.

The company has additional crews and support personnel ready to respond to any  electrical outages caused by the hot and humid conditions that are expected to  continue through the weekend. Con Edison reminds customers to  use these energy and money-saving tips:

  • Install  a timer or clock thermostat on your air conditioner so you can program it to  operate and shut-off at a pre-determined time.
  • If you  have a room air-conditioning unit, close off the rooms not being used; if you  have central air, block off the vents for un-used rooms.
  • Plan  cooking, baking or other household activities that produce heat and humidity  for the cooler times of the day and night.
  • Use a  portable or ceiling fan to circulate the pre-cooled air in your air-conditioned  home. A fan uses about 90 percent less energy than an air conditioner.
  • In very  humid weather, adjust your air conditioner’s fan to a low setting. It’ll take  longer for the air conditioner to cool your home, but your unit will bring in  steamy air at a slower rate and make you feel more comfortable.
  • Pull  your curtains and shades on windows to block out the heat.

Customers can report outages and  check service restoration status at www.conEd.com or by calling 1-800-75-CONED  (1-800-752-6633)When reporting an outage, customers should have  their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether  their neighbors also have lost power.

Customers who report outages will  be called by Con Edison with their estimated restoration times as they become  available.

Also,  download Con Ed’s free iPhone and Android app, My conEdison, to report and check  the status of a power problem, and view our interactive online outage map.

by:

Posted & filed under BREAKING NEWS, Entertainment, General, History, Parenting.

Today is actually Kate’s due date, Friday July 19, and the royal baby will be born in the next few days according to reports out of London.

“A small number of staff at St Mary’s who might be called upon when the Duchess gives birth were told they had to remain teetotal for a month before the due date. They were told the due date was July 19,” a royal source told the Daily Telegraph.

However, many first-time mums give birth around two weeks after their due date, which means the royal baby could be born at the beginning of August.

Kate Middleton will give birth to the future King or Queen in the Lindo Wing of London’s St Mary’s Hospital, where members of the press and public are camped outside in anticipation of the birth of the new royal.

St Mary’s is also where Prince William was born. Stayed tuned for more out of London!

by:

Posted & filed under General, Getting Away, Health, New Yorker Insider, Politics, Transportation.

First the Mayor went after the cigarettes and this was a good thing. The the trans-fats and  super-sized drinks followed and there were mixed reviews Now, Mayor Michael Bloomberg is coming after the elevators but we say fix the subway system first.

What about disabled people and mothers with strollers? Are they not allowed to travel?

While City officials have announced a new initiative encouraging office workers to take the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator. We say many New Yorker’s specifically the disabled and women with strollers have no access to the subway system at all. So rather than create legislation proposed that all new buildings and buildings undergoing major renovation would be required to give occupants access to at least one stairwell, as well as post signs near elevators pointing to nearby stairs we think the subway should become accessible to all first.

Making people take the stairs should not be top priority.

Meanwhile, another bill would increase the visibility of stairwells by permitting the use of hold-open devices on doors that would close automatically in case of an emergency.

“Whether you’re tall or short, fat or thin, you’ll be healthier and you’ll live longer if you’re more active. But the problem is we’ve been lulled into a sedentary lifestyle,” said Department of Design and Construction Commissioner David Burney at a Manhattan press conference at The New School. In too many buildings, the stairs are hard to find, kept locked, armed with alarms, or dark and windowless–making people afraid to use them, Health Commissioner Thomas Farley said. The programs are designed to change that, he said.

Great David but in New York can you fix the subway system so that everyone has access?

.Mr. Bloomberg, who said he personally almost always uses the stairs–and doesn’t stand still when he’s on an escalator–said that part of the challenge was to make being active hipper for young people across the city. All good Mr. Mayor but think of those who are physically challenged first!

What do you think New York?

by:

Posted & filed under BREAKING NEWS, New Yorker Insider, NEWS, Technology.

The NYPD is releasing harmless gases into the subway system during the morning rush beginning today to study how chemical weapons could be dispersed through the air.  Do they really have to do this in situ?

Police, are working with Long Island’s Brookhaven National Laboratory, were spotted placing air-sampling devices in specific areas on the street and within the subway system across the five boroughs. Several researchers spent Tuesday morning outfitting the Columbus Circle subway station with the devices.

Researchers will track the movement of harmless tracer gases called perfluorocarbons.

The gases mimic how a chemical or biological weapon may react if released. They’ll be dispersed in low concentrations for 30 minutes only during the morning, city officials said.

The project will be funded through a $3.4 million federal grant.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says results from the airflow study will help the NYPD learn how airborne toxins travel underground within the subway systems and above ground near the entrances and exits. The aim of the study is to better safeguard the city against a potential chemical attack, Kelly said.
Let’s hope they don’t try and do the same with a ‘harmless chemical weapon experiment.’ We love Ray Kelly but this seems very dramatic!  We have to trust he knows best!

by:

Posted & filed under BREAKING NEWS, Entertainment, General, Getting Away, History, New Yorker Insider, NEWS, Transportation.

Lady Liberty is open for business again — the guest of honor for a July 4 celebration months after Hurricane Sandy flooded the island and walloped nearly everything but the statue itself. We love her and wish her a happy birthday!

As The New York Post reports: The 14-foot surge from the hurricane, which ravaged the metropolitan area, covered about 75 percent of Liberty Island, tore apart its docks and pathways, and shut down water and sewer systems.

The hurricane hit on Oct. 29, one day after the 126th anniversary of the statue’s dedication.

The iconic tourist attraction had been closed for about a year for renovations — and had reopened only the day before.

 “We’re delighted to reopen the Statue of Liberty to the public, especially after something so major,” said John Warren, spokesman for the Statue of Liberty National Monument.

“We not only want to repair the damage to the walkways and the electrical system, we want to make smart repairs as well.”

Warren said the water which stormed across the island never touched the statue or the pedestal where it is perched.

A strong iron framework — created by Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel, who designed the Eiffel Tower — enabled the statue to withstand the storm’s intense winds, according to the National Park Service.

But the island’s docks were reduced to splinters, red bricks were torn from pathways, storage garages were all but razed, and transformers were knocked out.

Nearby Ellis Island will remain closed for now. The cost of repairs to both islands could reach $60 million, officials said.

With summer-vacation season in full swing, the reopening couldn’t have come at a better time. The National Parks Service and the vendors that operate on the island lost millions of dollars in ticket, concession and souvenir sales.

Among those on hand will be Interior Secretary Sally Jewell, Mayor Bloomberg, New Jersey Sen. Robert Menendez and National Park Service Director Jonathan Jarvis.

Tourists seeking last-minute tickets could be out of luck.

A spokesman for Statue Cruises, which sells the Statue of Liberty tickets, said access to the crown is completely sold out for today. Presales for pedestal access are also sold out, but there will be in-person sales for access to that area today.

Tours are booked until next week, and the crown is booked until August, officials said.

Lady Liberty a sign of liberty and Independence. God Bless her and God Bless America! Happy Birthday America!

by:

Posted & filed under BREAKING NEWS, General, History, New Yorker Insider, NEWS, Politics, Technology.

Hold that phone. Well at least while you are behind the wheel. New York begins a crackdown on texting drivers today, with more police and new text-detecting equipment in unmarked cars, officials said.

“Distracted driving kills. Period,” said Gov. Cuomo (pictured), who on Monday signed into law harsher penalties for teens who text behind the wheel.

State Police Superintendent Joseph D’Amico said checkpoints will be set up through the end of the holiday weekend to enforce rules on impaired driving, seat belts, child-safety restraints, speeding and underage drinking.

D’Amico said there would be added police presence beginning today in marked and unmarked cars to catch texting drivers. It makes sense we have spent more of our lives without texting than we have with. You can wait. Hold that phone thought!