Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

what is a new yorker?

Posted by Ally 
what is a new yorker?
October 09, 2002 02:53PM
Hello there, All you New Yorkers! Tell a nice English girl what is a, "New Yorker?" regards, Ally.
Homeless Guy
October 22, 2002 10:04PM
A new yorker is someone who is from New York of course!

smiling smiley

When you are in New York. You are around a lot of different people. VERY different people. From the homeless guy on the street to the doctor on Central Park South to me to you.

Just come to New York and you will know EXACTLY what makes a New York.

From the minute I stepped foot on the bubble-gum covered sidewalk, I felt at home. I think you will too!

jeremy
A New Yorker is...
October 27, 2002 04:03AM
New Yorker: generally someone who was born or spent the majority of their lives in the city.

However, there are sub-groups.

Pure New Yorker - was born within Manhattan and has lived most of their life there.

Un-Pure New Yorker - born somewhere else but grew up in NY.

Non-NYer – no matter where born, including in the middle of freakin Time Square, but lived most of their lives outside of the city.

People from Queens, Bronx, and Brooklyn can be called New Yorkers if you are talking to someone from outside the city/state. To city people, they’re from Queens, Bronx, etc…

Having a “New York attitude” does NOT make one a New Yorker!

People from Long Island or the Suburbs, no matter *how* much time they spend in the city are *not* NYers.

People who are against the rebuilding of the World Trade Center in an even larger more pompous form are not, IMHO, true NYers.

The only difference between subgroups is bragging rights and accents.

Your friendly neighborhood Un-Pure New Yorker, and damn proud of it,
(Though currently living in Queens due to way cheep rent)
Michael NOYBW

P.S. 1902 boy is more of a New Yorker than I nor any of my am or ever will be.
Re: A New Yorker is...
October 28, 2002 02:32PM
B.O.H.I.C.A. Thankyou! Very interesting answer, the kind I was looking for. I do find everybodys answers good too! I found Ali's answers plain 10/25 sad smiley My name is Alison.....ok!! regards,Ally!
Walking Tall
October 30, 2002 06:47AM
Hi all!
I agree! I was in NYC 1 week before the Twin Towers came down..I was on holiday with a friend, and it just amazed me...it overwhelmed me. I have always been, I dunno , but drawn to America, cause it's so big it has everything, and the history of success..I have been an exchange student in Colorado, BEAUTIFUL place to be...the year after, to make a long story short (here I go again haha), I was in NY..and I felt immediately connected. Just walking on the streets of Manhattan, Chinatown, Soho and more, you really can feel the energy hte city shines out..having dinner at 10 pm,! I loved it, everyone still on the streets! Rollerblading next to the Hudson river. Talking to the people there, and it is also very international in NY which I like even better. A very obvious difference compared to the rest of America..you will encounter with so many more abroad people in NY than the rest of the US. I was home just a few days..when the sept 11th disaster happened..I was shocked!! I had just walked there a week before! I had been in the Towers and talked to people that worked there, and now!..this..I felt connected and I cried before the DUtch TV..
So YES! (I'm finally ending this now, sorry but I get carried away) I felt like a New Yorker the minute I stepped foot in that city! Next yr I'm coming back to study there for 3 months as an exchange student again! I cannot wait! smiling smiley
Re: homeless Guy
October 30, 2002 04:13PM
I LIKED YOUR VERSION OF WHAT IS A NEW YORKER...

TO ME NY IS AN EXPERIENCE I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER AND CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF...SINCE I LIVE ON THE WEST COAST OF CANADA, IN VANCOUVER, BC (VERY BEAUTIFULL CITY ALSO) I WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO
TALK ABOUT NY FOR NOW....

I'M INTERESTED IN TAKING PICTURES RIGHT NOW, NOT REALLY GOOD AT IT BUT I'M LOVING THE EXPERIENCE....AND NY HAS SOME WONDERFULL PLACES TO SEE...

NY TO ME WAS BEAUTIFULL, STRONG, FREE, NICE PEOPLE, BOLD PEOPLE, WORKING PEOPLE, FULL OF ENERGY AND MORE....

MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS DIFFERENT THAN MY NAME BECAUSE I DIDN'T THINK I WOULD NEED ONE RIGHT AWAY...IN THE PROCESS OF DOING IT......
Re:Walking Tall
October 30, 2002 06:34PM
With all respect to other fellows who wrote some couple of lines trying to
explain what is a New Yorker , I appreciated the way you presented it .

I am from Brazil and I would say the best part of my life was when working for Pan Am and always on business trips attending meetings or
seminars and or management training through the U.S. I always find some way to pass by New York .

New York City was my first encounter with Americans and when staying
in New York rather than using taxis I enjoyed walking from 34th street
down Times Square and proceeding further . Regardless of all of have been written about New Yorkers, , the town itself, I kept only memorable happennings .

I dont, t have any hope of being able to enjoy visiting New York again
since after retirement in Brazil you must consider yourself as if you are
not a resident of this planet earth any more but anyway I am leaving
my humble opinion to you fellows...
Re: what is a new yorker?
November 03, 2002 02:56PM
Someone who longs for the foods , smells, people and sounds of there city
Nastasja
November 04, 2002 10:07AM
I think, a New Yorker loves his city and he know very much from this city!
November 08, 2002 01:56PM
A new yoker is one who knows every nooks and cranies of ny.. Although may not be born there but grew at ny. He/she cannot stay outside ny.
Kat
November 09, 2002 06:10AM
a new yorker is only a person who knows the reasons why he wants to be a new yorker. someone who love this town. someone who knows this town. a new yorker to me is someone who knows what so beautifull at this city. greetz, Kat!
November 12, 2002 06:16PM
This thread has about every definition I've ever seen of what it means to be a New Yorker, and I have to say that in some ways I agree with all of you. I've visited the city a couple times but have never lived there, and I met many different kinds of New Yorkers, and probably some other people too.

Being from the West Coast (Portland, Oregon), a part of the world that most New Yorkers have never actually heard of outside of geography class, I have quite a different view of the city than most people who were born there. Nevertheless, I still love the buildings, the streets, the people, the food, the bridges, the music, the entertainment, and the whole idea that all of this could be going on on an island that is less than five miles wide.

Despite all of that, when I go to New York, I know that I'm not REALLY a New Yorker. I know that I look out of place, I can't find my way around the boroughs, I don't talk the talk nor walk the walk. Right now, I'm living in Munich, Germany, and it's basically the same thing. Sure, German is a different language, but there are a billion other things that separate me from the people here. The funny thing is, I don't even try to look or act like a Muenchener, but I appreciate the culture and enjoy living here. Someday, I'd like to live in New York, but I know that I wouldn't really be a New Yorker. I could have a New York state of mind until Billy Joel was sick of hearing himself sing, but I'll always be who I am.

So, in short, I think it takes a lot more than a feeling to be a New Yorker. I don't believe that there is an actual requirement that one be born in New York, or raised in New York, or whether one can claim New Yorker status from the boroughs, the suburbs, or New Jersey, but I know that there is a difference.

In the mean time, speaking as a Non-New Yorker, I'm really glad that New York is for all of us. There's nothing like walking in Central Park, eating the world's best pizza, seeing the view from the Empire State Building, watching a musical on Broadway, strolling down Fifth Avenue, or enjoying the lights on Times Square. I'm glad that all of those things are open to everyone -- New Yorker or not.

Phil
A Texan NewYorker
November 20, 2002 12:11PM
a New Yorker is Someone who not afraid to claim there props. A New Yorker is someone who from the N.Y.C. Just because you have friends from there or live there that do not make you a New Yorker. You've got to be born from there know to know what it's like to be there. You knows who your real friends are, { they got your back} Just because people say hey son , What's up kidd! no, only people from New York can say that . Even though I stay Texas I'm original from Manhattan, New York,
November 20, 2002 08:52PM
A New Yorker is a person who lives in New York. We are all different types of people. We have different backgrounds, ethnic groups, and life styles. Our city brings us all together.We all love our city.
And we are not rude like most people think.
Bethany
November 20, 2002 10:22PM
I DO NOT AGREE with what your sayin. I'm from Long Island and YES I consider myself a New Yorker. And where were you born? Because if you werent born in N.Y. then you are definetly not a True New Yorker. And by the way Manhattan is just a Island like Long Island and Staten Island. A True True New Yorker are those who live in the actual state of New York.
November 21, 2002 03:26AM
You can tell someone's a newyorker by his attitude,his way of life,his stress,his love for money,his ambitions,his lack of concern for other people.
However he loves his city and he is a newyorker in his heart,mind and soul!
It can happen to anyone!
November 23, 2002 12:04PM

When you walk fuckin' fast, talk fuckin' fast, think fuckin' fast, and love saying "fuckin'", then I guess you are a New Yorker.

You can be black, white, yellow, or even purple, recently immigrant or in NY since you're born, the beauty of it is that anyone can be a New yorker!!!
Phil
December 01, 2002 02:41PM
I do not agree with you at all. A New
Yorker is ANYONE who was born or
spent almost all of their life in NY. Just
because you werent born or live in NYC
does not mean you are an un-pure New Yorker.
If you think that people who are not from NYC
are un-pure New Yorkers, then think again!!
Andrea
December 18, 2002 01:17AM
I agree with you Matt. We just returned home after spending 7 days in wonderful New York (Manhattan). It was our first visit and we found everyone very pleasant and helpful. I've encountered ruder people in other cities half the size of NY.
December 21, 2002 07:01PM
Long Island and the suburbs are so isolated from the city that I can understand why long islanders arent considered new yorkers.....long island barely has any multi-culture neighborhoods full of rich white people boring....^_^ not new yorker style...
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 13