Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

new york my home

Posted by hangwi 
new york my home
July 14, 2003 08:36AM
i am proudly south african but a new yorker at heart. i love the diversity and attitude of new yorkers and my #1 priority in life is to come over there.
although i dont live there i feel new york is my home.
Krissi
Re: new york my home
May 05, 2004 03:49PM
Agreed!
aaron
May 11, 2004 12:38AM
you know,i feel the same way....
even thou i'm canadian i always felt that way about it since i was little.
and now i'm 36 yrs old (male) iv'e always felt i was there before and
some how belong there in some past life or something? i'm drawn to that
great city. and the great thing about this topic is.....I AM REALLY GOING
TO VISIT THAT GREAT CITY!!! this summer,,,,i hope? lol
anyway i love the big apple.. your canadian friend. : )
May 13, 2004 06:26PM
New York isn't cool, dude. L.A. is numero uno, dude, so forget you all!!!
Krissi
May 17, 2004 04:08PM
then why are you on this site?
February 02, 2006 01:15PM
You can't have a connection to NY if your not from here. God, I hate these people, why can't you stay where you grew up. We have a affordable housing problem because of you people, and your so annoying. The only reason companies hire you is because you are not a New Yorker, you have no real connection here. I bet you don't even know that the capital of the State isn't NYC or that people commute for work from as far away as Hudson NY and Western Ma because they couldn't afford homes. Funny thing is these are the people whose families made NYC not you. Do us a favor, stay in Ohio or where ever you came from so Native New Yorkers can reclaim the city thats rightfully theres.
May 31, 2006 04:00PM
Pasquale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can't have a connection to NY if your not from
> here. God, I hate these people, why can't you stay
> where you grew up. We have a affordable housing
> problem because of you people, and your so
> annoying. The only reason companies hire you is
> because you are not a New Yorker, you have no real
> connection here. I bet you don't even know that
> the capital of the State isn't NYC or that people
> commute for work from as far away as Hudson NY and
> Western Ma because they couldn't afford homes.
> Funny thing is these are the people whose families
> made NYC not you. Do us a favor, stay in Ohio or
> where ever you came from so Native New Yorkers can
> reclaim the city thats rightfully theres.

OMG thank you so much! It's sad when those of us born & raised here (as my parents & my GRANDPARENTS - hello! - were) don't have much of a choice but to move out bc we cannot (nor will we) pay for overpriced housing. There are other reasons too...schools suck, too many people, looking for something a little more quieter (does that exist?).

I am also tired of hearing these out of towners cry about what NYers they are. My questions are always as follows:

What hospital were you born in? (Columbia Presbyterian)

What schools did you go to? (Payson Park Nursery, Good Shepherd, St. Catharines)

What street did you live on? (Isham btwn Bway & Vermilyea)

How long did you live there? (the first 18 years of my life)

Where are your parents from? (mom lived in Inwood for over 50 years, dad grew up in the South Bronx then moved to Inwood)

Where are your gparents from? (moms parents from Ireland but lived in Harlem & South Yonkers when they got here...then lived in Inwood for about 35 years. Dads parents both born here, gfather in the South Bronx, gmother in the Village, then the upper East Side, then the South Bronx)

And my favorite...ever go to a keg party in a Manhattan park (and frat parties do NOT count) as a teenager? (yes, yes & yes!)

I laugh when they answer..."well I went to NYU" or "I went to Columbia"...beeeep! Wrong answer!

Being a REAL NYer is more than a feeling, more than spending 2k a month on rent, more than going out to some ahole trendy club or bar.

But only the chosen few of us really get it.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 6