Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wallabout Market

Posted by Genie 
Genie
Wallabout Market
May 14, 2003 11:13AM
I live in W'burg, but have never seen or heard of this....just read about it.

Wallabout Market, Flushing and Clinton Avenues, Brooklyn's only public wholesale market, is a vast clearinghouse for produce from New York and New Jersey farms. The quaintness of buildings inspired by old Dutch prototypes lends an old-world atmosphere to the terminal The market is housed in blocks of two-story brick structures, each surmounted by a watchtower and a weathercock. The blocks arc grouped around a wide plaza called Farmers' Square. A relatively deserted region by day, from midnight to dawn the market bustles with noisy activity: Farmers' Square is a solid mass of vehicles, crates, and barrels, and truck drivers, jobbers, and farmers.

The site of the market, once part of the large tract acquired by the United States for a navy yard, was sold to Brooklyn by Congress in July, 1890.
Louise
Re: Wallabout Market
May 14, 2003 11:22AM
Sorry, Genie: the government acquired its site for use as a dry-dock facility. It doesn't exist any longer.

But, there are other markets in Williamsburg you can check out.

Moore Street Market
108 Moore Street
between Graham and Humboldt Avenues
Mondays through Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m
This has lots of Mexican/Puerto Rican/Latin stuff

then of coures there is McCarren Park Farmers' Market
McCarren Park (Greenpoint),
near the entrance to the park on Lorimer and Driggs Streets
Saturdays from July through October, 8 a.m. to about 4 p.m.
This is a pretty standard "farmers market"

and another to keep you busy:
Graham Avenue Farmers' Market
Cook Street at Graham Avenue
Saturdays from July through October, 7:30 a.m. to about 3 p.m.
Re: Wallabout Market
September 13, 2010 03:47PM
My grandfather had a fruit & produce business in the Wallabout Market well into the 20-30"s. They were the 3 Campo Brothers but there name when they cam efrom Italy in 1870 was Campomenosi. They changed it for business purpose but I'm trying to find out if it was done legally or just used the shortened name for business. Can you offer some help to find any place that might have records of this business. Thank Robert Campo-grandson
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 11