need to take my new boss to lunch around penn station

Posted by Kelly 
need to take my new boss to lunch around penn station
December 12, 2011 10:22AM
I have to take my new boss to lunch on Thursday, and she's coming into Penn station and wants to remain reasonably close by to eat. Where on earth can I take her for a halfway decent lunch around penn station?
I have a reservation at Becco, but that's kind of a walk and it's supposed to rain on thursday I think.
Ideas?
Not too expensive, but not a sandwhich shop either.
Re: need to take my new boss to lunch around penn station
December 12, 2011 11:45AM
Hi Kelly,

For some reason, AANY is telling me a word in my post has been banned from use, but I can't figure out which one.

Anyway, I've copied the message and links I typed, and sent them as an email to you. Hope it helps.
December 12, 2011 12:06PM
hi Oracle, here is your posting, minus the "hells kitchen" bit...that must have been it, let me check on that. Thanks much for the suggestions!

The nearest place is Lugo Caffe, which is right upstairs from Penn Station on 33rd St. It's a nice space, but while I like their artichokes, unfortunately I've been disappointed in some of their other plates. Still, their salads are o.k., and if it's pouring rain out, I'd pick it.

If you're looking for GREAT food, it's worth walking up to Esca. Obviously not inexpensive, and you'd definitely need a reservation, but it's a great choice.

Or, a few blocks east is one of my favorite places, Artisanal. I'm still thinking about that fabulous grilled brie sandwich with mushrooms and truffles I had the other day, along with the pear and ginger cocktail.
I'm not a fan of Korean cuisine, but if you and your boss like it, there are lots of well-reviewed places within a couple of blocks of Penn Station.

[esca-nyc.com]
[www.hkhellskitchen.com]
[www.lugocaffe.com]
[www.artisanalbistro.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2011 12:06PM by askanewyorker.
December 12, 2011 03:25PM
Aww that makes me sad that a place called Lugo's is not a shining star. That is my maiden name Oracle. Still, I'll give it a whirl on my next visit. Oh wow, I just looked it up and it's Italian, not Puerto Rican or Spanish (Lugo, Spain). Still want to give it a go
December 12, 2011 06:15PM
We'll have to pop in for a drink (they serve Cynar!), but there are much better places for us to eat. And next trip we'll have to do Puerto Rican.
December 16, 2011 06:18AM
just as I was walking out the door yesterday, my new boss cancelled on me! Oh well, next time....and I chose Lugo Caffe. Another day. Thanks anyway, Oracle.
December 20, 2011 02:43PM
Puerto Rican next time for sure Oracle!!! Lugo's for a Cynar apertif maybe.
January 19, 2012 05:08PM
so, we rescheduled and made it today to lugo caffe...it was quite good, and the perfect place to meet my new boss in. She's great, by the waysmiling smiley
I had minestrone and scallops, both very good. thanks oracle!
January 19, 2012 07:57PM
Hey Kelly, I'm glad lunch worked out, and I'm very glad your new boss is great.
There is a place called Parker & Quinn nearby and I'd say it's a good place near Penn Station for lunch with a coworker.
Its in the Refinery Hotel. They have a good happy hour, too.
[parkerandquinn.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 2?
Online Users

Guests: 8