Best Apps for NYC

Posted by askanewyorker 
Best Apps for NYC
March 10, 2011 11:13AM
New 10 Best New York City iPhone Applications

Get these NYC’s 10 Best iPhone apps at the Apple iPhone App Store today:

10. Take Me To My Car. Free. Use this iphone application to find where you parked your car while in New York City. Alternatively, you can set the application to mark your New York hotel so you can find your way back their after exploring the surrounding area of the city on foot.

9. WhiteNoise. Free and $1.99 versions. I use the sound of crickets to block out the sound of NYC while going to sleep at night. It reminds me of being in the woods camping under the stars as a child.

8. Kindle for the iPhone. Free. You cannot just stare blankly across the subway car during your daily commute. Read a book using the Kindle Application for iPhones while on the train.

7. WiFi Directory (wireless hotspots finder). Cost $1.99. Locate the closest wifi hotspots to you according to your GPS location.

6. Foursquare. Free. Explore New York City and play a game with your friends all in one. As you go from neighborhood to neighborhood you earn points and earn badges.

See our original New York City iPhone Applications and related articles here:

10 Best NYC iPhone Applications

NYC10Best iPhone Application Feature: UpNext 3D Cities – NYC

NYC’s Best iPhone & iPad Applications part 3

NYC Wireless & Free Wifi Hotspots

New 10 Best New York City iPhone Applications

5. NYC 24-Hour KICKMap. Cost $1.99. This application makes sense of the complex NYC transit system so it is understood and used by more people. Use KICKMap to cut down time on all your trips within the NYC transit system. There is also a free lite version available.

4. SpotCrime NYC. Cost $1.99. This New York iPhone application notifies you of recent crimes that occurred in you current location.

3. New York “At a Glance” City Guide. Free. This free guide highlights points of interest in your surrounding area determined by your GPS location.

2. Coovents. Free. Find happy hour specials at the bars closest to you in NYC or search by NY neighborhood.

1. New York Nearest Subway from accrossair. Cost $1.99. Find distances to the closest New York subway stations using the iPhone screen and camera. This NYC iPhone application will also give you the direction to walk.

[www.nyc10best.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 11:21AM by askanewyorker.
KT
Re: Best Apps for NYC
March 11, 2011 05:16AM
I love all my phone and iPad apps and some of the handiest ones for me when travelling and in NYC in general

Not for Tourists--easier than carrying the book!

HopStop

WCFinder and SitandSquat

Open Table

CrossWalk
May 17, 2011 05:48PM
I have a new free iPhone app that's great for New Yorkers with cars. It's a
free alternate side parking app
with a calendar and twice daily message updates from the city. With the calendar you'll know in advance when street cleaning is suspended, and if it snows you'll can check the city update.

I'm just trying to make life easier for everybody, even though I think that everybody with a car would be happier without one! I got rid of mine years ago.
May 19, 2011 03:50AM
When in NY i used the Metro App to move in the subway and choose the right line.
It works for every city in the world with a subway of course winking smiley
August 10, 2011 05:27AM
Sit O rSquat: Bathroom Finder

The deal: Remember that Seinfeld reunion on Curb Your Enthusiasm in which we learned that George made millions off a public-restroom-locating app…only to lose it all to Bernie Madoff? Meet the real iToilet, a map that locates public restrooms that are open—and suggests whether they’re suitable for sitting or squatting based on user ratings. There are also reviews (and sometimes pics) of each restroom, if you need that much info.
Good for: When you don’t know the area and it’s quite late. Available for iOS, Android and BlackBerry.

[newyork.timeout.com]

<embed src="[blip.tv]; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ></embed>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 05:33AM by askanewyorker.
August 10, 2011 09:37PM
[whereamiparked.com] will help you remember where your car is parked, and how long you've been there ~ an especially useful feature for metered parking spots.
May 18, 2012 08:00AM
9 more free apps

[mashable.com]
May 18, 2012 08:10AM
NYBG in Bloom App Featuring Monet's Garden

No matter where you are in New York City or even the world, the Garden's new app, NYBG In Bloom--produced in collaboration with The Metropolitan Museum of Art--allows you to explore the essential elements of Monet's Garden. Toggle between photos of the plants that make up the Garden's landmark exhibition and reproductions of Monet paintings in The Met's collection. Links to the The Met's website provide further insight into the artwork that was inspired by the Impressionist master's love of plants and his garden at Giverny.

Feeling inspired? C'est bon! Pull up the Impressionist Lens feature within the app and start making your own photographic masterpieces in the style of Monet. Email your photographs to friends or share them on Twitter or Pinterest. And remember to tag them with #monetsgarden!

Tour stops throughout the Conservatory and in the Rondina Gallery--where two Monet paintings are on display--will provide additional images and information about the exhibition. Available through the iTunes Store in early May, the app is free and will work on any iPhone.
lazy dave
December 05, 2012 09:47PM
Nice list of apps! You may also check out NYCMiniMap. This app is for Newyork people to find out near by locations of Museum, electronic stores, parking locations, subways etc.
September 01, 2013 06:14PM
I like the apps for finding your car and other NYC-centric apps for tourism. Another app that I would mention for being able to avoid road construction, speed traps and other traffic hazards is Trapster.com, which for those who still drive in NYC, can help your commute and save you from getting ticketed.
December 01, 2013 08:13AM
Dash is an app that lets you simply press ‘Pay’ and walk out of the restaurant or bar

[thenextweb.com]
drinking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2013 08:20AM by askanewyorker.
April 04, 2014 07:57AM
Fieldtrip is amazing and Znap is a winner too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2014 07:58AM by askanewyorker.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 1?
Online Users

Guests: 14