help! how safe is 110th street at 5th avenue?

Posted by scstebb22 
Hello - any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking at an apartment on 110th street and 5th Avenue - literally on the east corner of Central park. The apartment complex is called 'The Heritage on Fifth' - well it fits what I want and what I can pay (i will be living with 2 others - male and female) but the only thing that is holding me back is the location being that is on the border of Harlem and East Harlem. I'm a 22 year old white female that has never lived in a big city. I've heard that this area is improving significantly but I'm still very skeptical. I figure if locals are giving me their honest opinion or people who live near here could give me their opinion that'd be the best way to really find out about this area. The apartment itself is very secure - 24 hour doorman and 24 hour security cameras .. additionally, there is a secured entrance. I would have to walk to the 6 on lexington and 110th which is two blocks...or walking a little longer than a football field.. how safe is 110th between 5th, madison, and lexington?

any help is appreciated! thank you!
Oracle?
Re: help! how safe is 110th street at 5th avenue?
January 06, 2011 10:41AM
The area sure is beautiful. I would definitely consider it, but I would wander the area at night before committing to it. I'm up there a lot, but always during the day, so I don't know how it is, say, walking home from the subway in the wee hours. Then again, I never heard of any more crime there than in my Yorkville neighborhood. Why don't you talk to some of the neighbors, not just in the doorman buildings, but along the route you'd walk to and from the subway.
is it safe? haha
January 27, 2011 06:58PM
hahahaahahaa is 110 and 5th safe? 22 yr old white female not from a big city- beware the wolves..especially at nite. i take it you want to be a prisoner in your apt after dark. did you know the projects are at 110 and lex? it is a great place to buy heroin though its not really an open air supermarket as it once was, its still rampant. plus crime is getting worse especially with the budget cuts its gonna be one crazy summer. youve been warned. btw it sounds like the other roomate got wise and left while the remaining tenants are living out the lease while telling you the area has improved. hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahha
Oh stop it. I live on 110th and lexington and I am a 23 year old female- the projects are right across from me. The police are ALWAYS around- it's literally a 5 minute walk from the subway. Yeah, it's annoying to be cat called, but that happens in the majority of the city. I never really go out in the city because I work a lot but coming home late doesn't scare me, it's just a matter of getting used to and putting your mean face on while walking. I actually wanted to move to The Heritage, IT LOOKS AMAZING. They just finished construction on a new building across from it. Could you give me the info of how you rented? I see a lot of young people moving in. Let me know if you have anymore questions!
February 01, 2011 10:46AM
Melissa, love your first 3 words, and your attitude.

You don't really need a mean face, just a face that shows you are paying attention to where you are and what is going on around you. Not a face that shows you are thinking about work, what to make for dinner, etc.
It's so unfortunate that such a great location has such a sketchy vibe. So - it's September 2011 now - are those projects still dangerous? I'm open-minded as I know the area has significantly improved, but I want to know what to expect. Anyone?
is it safe? haha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hahahaahahaa is 110 and 5th safe? 22 yr old white
> female not from a big city- beware the
> wolves..especially at nite. i take it you want to
> be a prisoner in your apt after dark. did you know
> the projects are at 110 and lex? it is a great
> place to buy heroin though its not really an open
> air supermarket as it once was, its still rampant.
> plus crime is getting worse especially with the
> budget cuts its gonna be one crazy summer. youve
> been warned. btw it sounds like the other roomate
> got wise and left while the remaining tenants are
> living out the lease while telling you the area
> has improved.
> hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahha
How's 110th St. and Madison? I've heard that the area has gotten better, and it's still affordable.
Well let's see, the drug dealers are still there and the police do not do a darn thing to them. The neighborhood is basically gang controlled. The cat calls are funny but don't let the girls from the projects catch you responding as you will incur what is known as a beat down. As for the heritage I have heard from folks who live there that while the outside of the place is looking good, the inside isn't quite up to par. They are experiencing a severe bed-bug epidemic, robberies, break ins and not too long ago a minister was murdered in his apartment. The building seems secure however anyone can just walk in (or out) without a word. The guards and cleaning personnel are very disrespectful when you're a woman. The Heritage is basically a pretty project that is often on fire or suffering from floods literally.
If you can deal with the nonsense and the drama you shouldn't have a problem. If you even think about making friends that would be a problem. Just one of the many reasons why I moved out.
Nothing in Greta's post is true. I used to live there until I moved out to take a job upstate. My old roommates still live there. There were no robberies, no break-ins and certainly no murders. That is all total nonsense. Don't believe anything you read on this site from anyone who does not now or ever lived in the building. You are just getting baited by haters. probably some other management company or broker trying to steer you away. The neighborhood is not the posh upper east side, but its not bad either. It's definitely turning around quickly and the great new supermarket around the corner that was opening as I left must be having a great impact. If I still lived in the city, I would be looking for another apartment at Heritage.
i just signed a lease in the apartment there and it looks great. thanks for the kind words greta. i am looking forward to moving in.
What doorman are you referring to? I have live here since the building went up (1973) and there has never, ever been a doorman here. The intercom never works and anyone can just walk in whenever they feel like it. The entire block is gang controlled and no matter how you try to rid the streets of them, they are still dealing drugs and killing people in the neighborhood. The police do not arrest them all because many of the officers are friends of theirs.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 19 plus 21?
Online Users

Guests: 9