Should a mosque be built near ground zero?

Posted by askanewyorker 
Re: Should a mosque be built near ground zero?
August 26, 2010 10:17AM
You said it girl!!!
Oracle?
August 26, 2010 11:27AM
Here's Timothy Egan's "opinionator" blog from today's Times.

[opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com]

The statistics he cites are boggling -- such a huge percentage of Americans actually believe whatever is fed to them by Beck and Limbaugh. What happened to rational thinking?

People are so willing to hate and destroy in the name of religion.

How about this pistol-packing hate monger who calls himself a pastor? He sure has a lot of followers who spew hate, fear and destruction in the name of their god.

[www.nytimes.com]

You can almost hear the sound of breaking glass, it's Kristallnacht all over again.
September 01, 2010 10:31AM
The battle over a mosque near Ground Zero could help shape the future of Islam in America, the project's leader said yesterday -- as a new poll found that seven of 10 New Yorkers want him to voluntarily relocate the controversial project.

[www.nypost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 10:32AM by askanewyorker.
September 02, 2010 03:25PM
I am sure the pressure is huge, but I hope he doesn't cave and "voluntarily" build it elsewhere.
Oracle?
September 02, 2010 06:36PM
Man Already Knows Everything He Needs To Know About Muslims

[www.theonion.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2010 05:48AM by askanewyorker.
Hello everyone,

All i can say from where i am standing , i am french, is that your country is much more opened minded than here...
good link to the onion, oracle.
Oracle?
September 05, 2010 09:28AM
KHADIJA, our Constitution is open-minded (if you can say that), and many Americans -- mostly in the big coastal cities -- are open-minded. But I hate to say it, it seems the U.S. is fast becoming the world's largest fundamentalist religious country. Read some of the anti-Muslim blogs and postings on news sites. Have a look at sites like the NY News and NY Post. There are comments sections on news articles that will scare you too.
September 08, 2010 06:09AM
Extremists suck.

The plan by a tiny Florida church to burn Korans on Sept. 11 is drawing condemnation from top U.S. officials and religious leaders, including the White House, the State Department and Gen. David H. Petraeus, who warned Tuesday that it could endanger U.S. troops in the Muslim world.

At the Dove World Outreach Center, a 50-member evangelical Christian church in Gainesville, the Rev. Terry Jones told CNN on Tuesday that he is "taking the general's words very serious" and that "we are definitely praying about it," leaving open the possibility that the event could be canceled. But he also said the plan is firm and is meant as "a warning to radical Islam" that "if you attack us, we will attack you."

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 05:10PM by askanewyorker.
anyoneryone

this topic is very interesting and thanks all for sharing your opinion.
I am a 30 year old French woman, and a Muslim, a modern Muslim woman as I call myself.
I think that the media play a big part in this debate.

Rhetoric from some politicians and Media group that lumps all Muslims with terrorists is depressing and getting boring honestly.
I do not relate at all to this as I do not understand why all the terrorists call themselves Muslims or kill in the name of Islam.That is not the religion my parents taught me, I was told about tolerance, peace, friendship, love.
I visited NYC several times and I always thought of this city as very tolerant, I loved it? i lived 5 year in London (which I love so much!!),but NYC was just unique !.
But I really do not know what to think about it now, and honestly I am really scared to visit the city now since I saw on the news the taxi driver who got stabbed because of being a Muslim. I am confused and scared !!
Are people aware that Muslims have also died on 9/11, And we felt the pain, the misunderstanding, the anger too ! We did not celebrate for God's sake!!
And now Pastor Terry Jones wants to burn the Koran, I am appalled.
I work for an International company in Paris, I have few Americans colleagues, we share a lot about all this, and they told me the following: "The bottom line is, no one should burn anyone’s holy book in America. The First Amendment gives every person the right to their religion, as it also gives each of us the right to believe or disbelieve that religion for ourselves".
My question is Are Muslims second-class citizens in the U.S. now and always?
Thanks all for reading me and for your replies.
Sorry for the English, not my mother tongue !

It is 12am in Paris so night night guys !
Peace & Love

falbalaxx
Oracle?
September 08, 2010 06:16PM
Hi falbalaxx,

I'm afraid the world is in a sorry state, and ignorant people need a scapegoat for their fears. History repeats itself over and over. There are power-mad so-called "leaders" who prey on the fears of the ignorant, and that's what is happening in this country, and others.

Thankfully, the shocking attack on the taxi driver was an isolated incident. The crime was committed by a mentally unstable man. I would like to say that most New Yorkers do not share his prejudices. We are a city of people from all over the world, who practice every religion and no religion, and have historically lived peaceably side by side. Yet I also sense a growing climate of fear and hatred in the U.S., as you do too.

I don't know what the future will bring, but I can assure you that most New Yorkers aren't anti-Muslim.
Hey Oracle.

Thanks for your comment, I do appreciate, but I do feel like there is an anti Muslim vague spreading not just over the US but the world.

I wish we can all live together side by side, but I am an Utopian.

Funny how the media changed my perception of NYC!

Let's see what the future will bring, more Peace and Love I hope.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 4?
Online Users

Guests: 13