Keep plucking that chicken

Posted by askanewyorker 
Keep plucking that chicken
September 18, 2009 01:26PM
Just got a call from a writer from the NY Times asking my take on this new hot phrase. My interpretation coming soon. In the meantime I"ll keep plucking that chickensmiling smiley
Aloha

[cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 08:41AM by askanewyorker.
Re: Keep plucking that chicken
September 18, 2009 01:29PM
John Christophers says:
He absolutely did not intend to say "plucking". The phrase he used has been around for a quite a long time as a juvenile reference to the KFC restaurant chain. It is preceded by his comment "it takes a tough man to make a tender forecast" which comes from the Purdue chicken commercials - "it takes a tough man to make a tender chicken." Free association runs amok, Kentucky Fried Chicken comes into his head, and before he can stop himself he blurts out the KFC joke he probably heard when he was 12.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2009 01:36PM by askanewyorker.
Oracle?
September 18, 2009 01:54PM
Poor Ernie! Why is this national news? As much as I loathe Fox, how can you think that was anything other than a slip of the tongue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2009 01:38PM by askanewyorker.
September 18, 2009 02:43PM
[gothamist.com]

[www.youtube.com]
Ernie .cock slip up. Poor Ernie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2009 01:47PM by askanewyorker.
September 18, 2009 03:04PM
[cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com]

The idea of chicken plucking may hold a special resonance for New Yorkers beyond the fact that it burst out from New York local television. “In New York, we are all faced with the lovely experiment where things go awry instantaneously in any given moment,” said Kennedy Moore, the founder of AskaNewYorker.com, a community advice site. “The grind of life in New York. I keep at it. I keep plucking that chicken. I don’t stop.”

It could be a way for New Yorkers to demonstrate their fortitude to each other, he said. “How did your day go? ‘It was a tough day, but I keep plucking that chicken.’”

Could it be shortened to “pluck that chicken?”

No — he agreed with us on the importance of the word “keep.”

“You have to say ‘keep.’ The word keep is essential,” he said. “It provides a rhythmic quality and a sign of endurance.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2009 01:49PM by askanewyorker.
September 18, 2009 07:03PM
Dear Kennedy,

Great company to be quoted with. You are right about keeping the "keep" and I'll tell you why.
True story: Indiana, around 1958, I was about 4 years old, living and growing up on my grandparents farm because my mother was sick a lot. One day I saw my grandmother slaughter a chicken with a hand axe. Granny held the chicken down somewhere near the base of the chicken's neck and proceeded to whack it's head off. The headless chicken took off running until it finally collapsed roughly 30 feet from the execution site. Granny has now realized that I was a witness to this shocking event and must now explain the purpose of what seemed a needless brutal killing to me. She grab the fresh but defiantly dead bird and took us down a hill where she had set up a table. Granny said "I killed the chicken because she will be our dinner tonight (as granny also pulled eggs from the lifeless body of still feathered bird). But before cooking it we must first pluck the the feathers out and we must KEEP PLUCKING THAT CHICKEN in order to make sure that all the tiny quills are removed."

Sincerely & with Love

Terence [www.terencemain.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2009 01:49PM by askanewyorker.
September 25, 2009 01:56PM
Sometimes there just aren’t enough feathers..

— Aaron
Oracle?
September 25, 2009 03:30PM
I'm not having chicken tonight.
October 07, 2009 06:42AM
'I' keep plucking that chickensmiling smiley Whatever It Takes....@#ucking that chicken if necessary

Sandra Bernhard: WHATEVER IT TAKES! AVAILABLE NOW!

Sandra will release a new music recording, Whatever It Takes, on August 25, 2009 (Mi5 Recordings). Produced and co-written by Ted Mason (Modern English) the inspired body of work melds the sophistication, sensuality and drive of pure rock & roll, stirred with the rousing passion of authentic world music. Reflective of Bernhard’s rebellious nature, and powered by her sincere passion for the new sounds and rhythms she has embraced, the album is a musical cross-cultural road trip which takes the listener from New York, to Africa, the middle east, and South America. Special guest artists include rock legend Chrissie Hynde (The Pretenders), DJ - Ucef , Erol Josue, and Rwandan cultural ambassador and Kora award-winning singer / songwriter Jean Paul Samputu

Joes Pub in Dec!

[www.sandrabernhard.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 05:38AM by askanewyorker.
October 07, 2009 10:44PM
Just a small correction: he said "keep @#$%& that chicken, you hairy fruity prick bastard"
October 09, 2009 09:59AM
What is the best way to pluck a chicken?

[wiki.answers.com]
November 06, 2009 08:42AM
Keep Plucken
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 21 plus 2?
Online Users

Guests: 16