traveling to New York solo

Posted by Mariska 
traveling to New York solo
July 22, 2009 01:12PM
I'm thinking about coming to New York in October or November and I will be going alone. No problem during the day, enough to see and do.
But what is there to do at night for people who are travelling alone?
Any tips for restaurants, shows, drinks etc?
Re: traveling to New York solo
July 23, 2009 08:59AM
Oct is a gorgous month. Night life and meeting people, no problem. Have you thought were you would like to stay. The Standard is a new hotel over looking the Highline. Great area, restaurants etc.
[www.askanewyorker.com]

[www.standardhotels.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2009 09:02AM by askanewyorker.
July 23, 2009 12:13PM
Wow, that is some hotel!!
I was thinking about a hotel more midtown, like somewhere between the Empire State Building and Central Parc. But I don't know that area is with nightlife.
I guess the Meat Packing district is more lively right?
Oracle?
July 23, 2009 02:42PM
The area between the Empire State Bldg. and Central Park is a commercial area. If you're looking for night life and a young, more local crowd, the Meatpacking District is great.

A good tip for dining alone (which is very common here) is that many top restaurants serve their full dining menu at the bar. It's really hard to get a reservation at many top places, but it's often easy to snag a seat at the bar.
July 24, 2009 01:58AM
good to hear dining alone is very common, in Holland people look at you strangely and think it's sad if you eat alone in a restaurant.

are there any other affordable hotels in the Meatpacking district?
July 24, 2009 06:24AM
Chelsea is the neighborhood right above the Meatpackibg district..gallery's galore...[www.colonialhouseinn.com]
July 29, 2009 01:49AM
Hi Guys,

I'm coming to New York in September with a friend and I'd like to stay around the same area (just somewhere with a nightlife).

The Standard is a little out of my price range and the Colonial House Inn is fully booked for the dates that I'm there (Sept7-11).

I've got a booking at The Paramount which I can cancel (I booked the hotel before looking into what the area was like) and I'm paying $930 incl. tax for the 4 nights.

Is there anywhere else you can suggest please?

Thanks!
August 06, 2009 09:39AM
August 06, 2009 08:10PM
Thanks so much, I never knew those trip reports existed!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 5 plus 21?
Online Users

Guests: 20