dress for broadway show

Posted by sharon 
dress for broadway show
April 10, 2003 06:52PM
Hi, My husband and I are leaving for NY on Sat. We've got tickets to see "Hairspray". He hates to wear a suit. Is there a dress code for going to the theatre? Thanks in advance for your help.
Re: dress for broadway show
April 11, 2003 06:41AM
USUALLY IN THE THEATRE, BLACK TIE IS OPTIONAL, YOU DONT HAVE TO WEAR A FULL TUX BUT LOOKING SMART IS ESSENTIAL, TRUST ME I WORK IN FASION!
March 01, 2006 11:18AM
My co-worker is going to her husband's company dinner and Broadway show in NYC next weekend and she's planning on wearing a black cocktail dress with strappy sandals. This is a "what would Carrie do" question. Do women wear nylons with strappy sandals during winter in NYC or is bare leg the thing to do? A Manhattanite would know the answer to this question. Thanks for your help

Linda
March 01, 2006 05:16PM
Hi,
I both work in and attend a lot of theatre, so I think I can help--

First off, are you attending a matinee or evening performance? Matinees tend to be a little bit more casual, although you'll see plenty of people in jeans at an evening performance as well.

There is not a specific dress code for Broadway shows. People wear everything from jeans and tee shirts to suits and dresses. I'd say go with something in between--maybe khakis/dress pants and a sweater or button-down for men, and nice pants or a skirt and blouse for women. Pretty much anything goes (although I feel that some people have gotten way TOO casual--I've actually seen sweatpants and flip-flops at the theatre!) so go with whatever you feel comfortable in. If you're eating in a specific restaurant before or after, the atmosphere there could also help determine your attire. Personaly, I think you might feel a little bit out of place in true black tie, unless you're attending a special benefit performance or a black tie dinner before or after...but if that's truly what you want to do, go for it.

As for the stockings-no-stockings thing, again, I'd say go with whatever is most comfortable. No stockings might be cold if you're planning to be outside a lot, though.

Hope this helps!
For the theatre, the kind of thing you'd wear to the office is fine. Some men wear suits, other just jacket and pants, or sweater and pants. No one goes in black tie, except maybe to the premieres. Women wear suits, some dresses, stylish pants. I don't see women in cocktail dresses or anything that dressy. And fortunately, you don't see a lot of people wearing jeans, shorts or the like. As long as you are willing to dress up a bit you'll be fine.
March 02, 2006 06:35AM
Strappy sandals with stockings is not a great look and strappy sandals would be freezing, if she really wants to wear that dress she would be better to at least wear closed-in shoes.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 5?
Online Users

Guests: 21