Ask a New York Theater Critic

Posted by askanewyorker 
Re: Ask a New York Theater Critic
November 29, 2010 07:43AM
Spiderman

As the character, played by actress Natalie Mendoza, finished her big number "Rise Above" while suspended over the crowd, an apparent wire malfunction left her stopped in midair -- where she remained for an embarrassing seven or eight minutes as stagehands worked feverishly to figure out the problem.

The stage manager finally said over the loudspeaker, "Give it up for Natalie Mendoza, who's hanging in the air!"

Read more: [www.nypost.com]

[www.nypost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2010 07:45AM by askanewyorker.
December 22, 2010 08:59AM
As a “Spider-Man” stuntman hurt in a terrifying 30-foot on-stage plunge recovers from serious injuries, the cursed Broadway show will sling its Web again tonight — and leery theater-goers will be looking up for all the wrong reasons

[www.amny.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 09:00AM by askanewyorker.
March 11, 2011 08:44AM
With the opening postponed for a sixth time so that Bono and his new team can overhaul the embattled $65 million musical, many exhausted and demoralized cast members are ready to call it quits, production sources say.

Dancers and chorus members are on six-month contracts, which expire at the end of May.

This week, after firing director Julie Taymor, the pr ducers pushed back the opening until sometime in June.

Read more: [www.nypost.com]

[www.nypost.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 08:57AM by askanewyorker.
December 04, 2011 01:36PM
alright, I'm no "theater critic" and this isn't about spiderman...but I saw "relatively speaking" the other night and really didn't think it was that great. Just putting this up in case anyone is thinking of seeing it.
December 04, 2011 04:23PM
Of course you're a theater critic -- you know what you like, what else is there? I liked parts of Relatively Speaking but agree with you on the whole. I liked the opener, with the guy in the asylum, but didn't see the point in adding on the big about his family. And I loved, loved Elaine May's play for about 10 minutes, and then it had nowhere to go. But Marlo Thomas was wonderful. Woody Allen went back to his comedy shtick with the last play. I got a few laughs out of it, but it was basically mediocre.

The thing is, going to the theater is such a big investment these days, mediocrity makes me angry.
December 05, 2011 12:45PM
I agree about the Coen piece, the first one.
The Elaine May one was my favorite, but didn't even love that.
I thought it was going to be so good, too...disappointment, expensive disappointment.
February 24, 2012 06:51AM
Signature Theatre Company exists to honor and celebrate the playwright
Founded in 1991 by James Houghton, Signature makes an extended commitment to a playwright’s body of work, and during this journey, the writer is engaged in every aspect of the creative process.

Signature is the first theatre company to devote an entire season to the work of a single playwright, including re-examinations of past writings as well as New York and world premieres. By championing in-depth explorations of a living playwright’s body of work, the Company delivers an intimate and immersive journey into the playwright’s singular vision.

[www.signaturetheatre.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 07:21AM by askanewyorker.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 19?
Online Users

Guests: 12