Marijuana NYC

Posted by Larry 
Re: Marijuana NYC
December 03, 2008 02:55PM
SO WHERE IS THE WEED IN NYC??
December 03, 2008 03:47PM
Larry,
I'm going to let your comment stand for the moment. But we will need to relax on such a request. Ask a New Yorker has certain legal boundries and giving out such information would be pushing the limits.
Cheers.
December 03, 2008 04:24PM
Larry here you go.

[stopthedrugwar.org]
December 15, 2008 09:49AM
NJ, NY next....

[www.nypost.com]
February 08, 2009 12:08AM
I hope NJ does legalize it. It means one more reason not to go over the bridge to NYC!!
April 21, 2009 08:44AM
ALBANY -- They couldn't have picked a more doobie-ous day.

State lawmakers chose yesterday -- "4/20," the unofficial holiday of pot smokers -- to announce their support of a new bill to legalize medical marijuana.

[libertymedal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 08:45AM by askanewyorker.
October 08, 2009 12:15PM
Pot legalization gains momentum in California

[news.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 12:18PM by askanewyorker.
October 20, 2009 09:07AM
By the government's count, 14 states allow some use of marijuana for medical purposes: Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

[www.nypost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 09:12AM by askanewyorker.
November 29, 2009 06:36PM
[www.nytimes.com]

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. — At most colleges, marijuana is very much an extracurricular matter. But at Med Grow Cannabis College, marijuana is the curriculum: the history, the horticulture and the legal how-to’s of Michigan’s new medical marijuana program.

Fabrizio Costantini for The New York Times

Nick Tennant, 24, the founder of Med Grow Cannabis College, something of a trade school for medical marijuana growers. More Photos »

Fabrizio Costantini for The New York Times

Marijuana plants at Med Grow, in a Detroit suburb. Michigan has registered about 2,400 “caregivers” to grow marijuana. More Photos >
“This state needs jobs, and we think medical marijuana can stimulate the state economy with hundreds of jobs and millions of dollars,” said Nick Tennant, the 24-year-old founder of the college, which is actually a burgeoning business (no baccalaureates here) operating from a few bare-bones rooms in a Detroit suburb.

The six-week, $485 primer on medical marijuana is a cross between an agricultural extension class covering the growing cycle, nutrients and light requirements (“It’s harvest time when half the trichomes have turned amber and half are white”) and a gathering of serious potheads, sharing stories of their best highs (“Smoke that and you are ... medicated!”).

The only required reading: “Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower’s Bible” by Jorge Cervantes.

Even though the business of growing medical marijuana is legal under Michigan’s new law, there is enough nervousness about the enterprise that most students at a recent class did not want their names or photographs used. An instructor also asked not to be identified.

“My wife works for the government,” one student said, “and I told my mother-in-law I was going to a small-business class.”

While California’s medical marijuana program, the country’s oldest, is now big business, with hundreds of dispensaries in Los Angeles alone, the Michigan program, which started in April, is more representative of what is happening in other states that have legalized medical marijuana.

Under the Michigan law, patients whose doctors certify their medical need for marijuana can grow up to 12 cannabis plants themselves or name a “caregiver” who will grow the plants and sell the product. Anyone over 21 with no felony drug convictions can be a caregiver for up to five patients. So far, the Department of Community Health has registered about 5,800 patients and 2,400 caregivers.

For Mr. Tennant, who is certified as both a caregiver and a patient — he said he has stomach problems and anxiety — Med Grow replaces the auto detailing business he started straight out of high school, only to see it founder when the economy contracted. Med Grow began offering its course in September, with new classes starting every month.

On a recent Tuesday, two teachers led a four-hour class, starting with Todd Alton, a botanist who provided no tasting samples as he talked the students through a list of cannabis recipes, including crockpot cannabutter, chocolate canna-ganache and greenies (the cannabis alternative to brownies).

The second instructor, who would not give his name, took the class through the growing cycle, the harvest and the curing techniques to increase marijuana’s potency.

Mr. Tennant said he saw the school as the hub of a larger business that will sell supplies to its graduate medical marijuana growers, offer workshops and provide a network for both patient and caregiver referrals. Already, Med Grow is a gathering place for those interested in medical marijuana. The whiteboard in the reception room lists names and numbers of several patients looking for caregivers, and a caregiver looking for patients.

The students are a diverse group: white and black, some in their 20s, some much older, some employed, some not. Some keep their class attendance, and their growing plans, close to the chest.

“I’ve just told a couple of people I can trust,” said Jeffery Butler, 27. “It’s a business opportunity, but some people are still going to look at you funny. But I’m going to do it anyway.”

Scott Austin, an unemployed 41-year-old student, said he and two partners were planning to go into medical marijuana together.

“I never smoked marijuana in my life,” he said. “I heard about this at a business expo a couple of months ago.”

Because the Michigan program is so new, gray areas in the law have not been tested, creating real concern for some students. For example, it is not legal to start growing marijuana before being officially named a caregiver to a certified patient, but patients who are sick, certified and ready to buy marijuana generally do not want to wait through the months of the growing cycle until a crop is ready. So for the time being, coordinating entry into the business feels to some like a kind of Catch-22.

Students say they are getting all kinds of extra help and ideas from going to class.

“I want to learn all the little tricks, everything I can,” said Sue Maxwell, a student who drives each week from her home four hours north of Detroit. “It’s a big investment, and I want to do it right.”

Ms. Maxwell, who works at a bakery, is already a caregiver — in the old, nondrug sense of the word — to a few older people for whom she thinks medical marijuana might be a real boon.

“I fix their meals, and I help with housekeeping,” Ms. Maxwell said. “I have an 85-year-old lady who has no appetite. I don’t know if she’d have any interest in medical marijuana, but I bet it would help her.”

Ms. Maxwell said her plan to grow marijuana was slow in hatching.

“We were talking at the bakery all summer,” she said. “Just joking around, I said: ‘I’m going to grow medical marijuana. I’m a gardener, I’ve always dreamed of having a greenhouse, I think it would be great.’ And then I suddenly thought, hey, I really am going to grow medical marijuana.”

Sign in to RecommendNext Article in Education (1 of 36) » A version of this article appeared in print on November 29, 2009, on page A1 of the New York edition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 06:40PM by askanewyorker.
March 22, 2010 11:50AM
A new poll reports half of New York voters support legalizing the use of marijuana for medical purposes.

[www.nypost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 11:51AM by askanewyorker.
March 22, 2010 02:10PM
I read recently that in Denver the number of dispensaries outnumber the number of Starbucks. I don't think it's an exageration. Not a day goes by where a local publication does not write on the Wild West's battle to get it right. Here is an example from a favorite business magazine I read - Colorado Biz

[www.cobizmag.com]
March 25, 2010 09:24PM
All very interesting! There is definite momentum in the air for legalization i.e California's new ballot initiative for legal marijuana, however, let's keep this subject focused on New York City...Bloomberg is a tyrannical prohibitionist and is out of touch with the people of NYC! But....people are smoking in New York.
A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 11?
Online Users

Guests: 16