Is Harlem safe?

Posted by Bean Counter 
Re: Is Harlem safe?
January 19, 2012 07:25PM
Yo son, lemme break it down for you.

B*tches get stitches.
January 19, 2012 07:52PM
I'm not trying to be racist or anything but me and my friend were thinking about moving there and we are white and blonde so would it be safe to live on Bradhust avenue?? I've heard bad and good things about it but I don't know which is true!! thanksss!!smiling smiley
January 31, 2012 10:40AM
I am traveling to NYC for the week by commuter rail...so when I get to harlem & 125th station, my boyfriend and I will each have our luggage. I mean, duffel bags, not suitcases or anything. From that station I have to get to the west side of central park... Do you think I would be better off in a subway or bus with my luggage? Will that mark us as tourists, you think? Should we take a cab with our bags? I am usually not concerned out that kind of thing, but I hear that theres a chance we'll get hassled on 125th, and maybe no room on the M100. It's the first time I've used public transportation with luggage...I usually drive. Thanx.
me
February 05, 2012 02:50PM
Sure 125th is safe, its a busy place at night around the subway on 125th and Lexington there are always people in the morning at 5am trying to get a bus to the airport and there are businesses open it's well lit, I just wouldn't walk around at 2am or 4am on the side streets where there's no people if I were you if you're not familiar common sense; but getting off any major subway stations like 125th and lex is not a big deal subways are always populated anytime of day and night, you may get a culture shock if you're not used to the urban city, though; buses are well-populated too anyday or night, depends on where youre going or trying to get to; anyway there's two of you; be a hassle if just one woman late at night on a deserted street
February 29, 2012 10:21AM
Harlem is not safe. It is drug infested, there are drug dealers and crack heads all over the place there. They are watching and waiting for an opportunity to rob you. Beleave me, do not have a false sence of security when you go to into Harlem. Harlem is full of gangmembers, it is trully a small civel war. Keep your eyes open and be on the alert.
March 01, 2012 10:27AM
Some of the rather racially-tinged comments on here are pathetic. And I find what Saraah said interesting and no doubt true. As someone who wears expensive clothing, etc. in general, and who would be a target by some people's reasoning on this thread (and I've gone to popular parts of Harlem for many years without ANYONE doing anything more than being admiring or pleasant), I find this "above 96th St." stuff to be typical of people who are either uninformed or actually prejudiced in some respect. The comment of the 40-something year-old guy is instructive: he didn't "FEEL SAFE". I think the comment by "Markus" was an appropriate one.
YoungWhipperSnapper
March 09, 2012 05:29PM
I really want to go to this educational program during break, but the problem is that it's located in Harlem, and my parents aren't comfortable with me going. They're worried that I'll get lost in the subway, get mugged, or something of the sort. I'm going to be with a group of 6 other high school girls the majority of the time, as well as an adult supervising us...so I think it's relatively safe...? I'm not sure since I'm not really knowledgeable of the place. Can anyone familiar with New York City give any tips or info on Harlem? Thanks!
March 09, 2012 10:51PM
March 15, 2012 12:39AM
I think what people are saying is - "If you have to ask if Harlem is safe, we don't want you here."
March 30, 2012 07:43PM
LISTINGS:

Ground floor apt I like, though high maintenance:
[realestate.nytimes.com]

Seeing this one at 1pm today:
[realestate.nytimes.com]

In same building as above, I think:
[realestate.nytimes.com]

Saw this one, smells of feces, foulness, sewage everywhere, pictures are brightened from reality. It's a major fixer upper:
[realestate.nytimes.com]

Normal co-op building, I'm looking at apartment #7C, the others have low 8' ceilings:
[www.lancastermadison.com]

Tori, Thanks a bunch for your help!

Julie
April 05, 2012 06:55AM
Harlem is great! I have lived here 6 years, originally from CT. My landlord is an honest man, too! Unlike In other neighborhoods, it's not a big conglomerate landlord. I know him well, and have visited his home. Talking with friends in other locations, it's refreshing to realize I know my neighbors - the entire block! By name! Harlem is one of few places left on the island with this mentality! Safe? Does that mean always being in my comfort zone, never seeing people different then me? I'm starting to wonder the meaning of "safe" in regards to Harlem. For those that live there it's an old, out-dated word, with a twist of no actual experience. It's a judgement. Please come visit amazing Harlem.
Juanjo
April 24, 2012 06:30PM
Hi,i'm from argentina and me and my girlfiend are going to be in town as holidays. We are planning to stay at 116 west and lexington avenue. We do not have too much money and there are cheaper week rentals.As you may see,none of us talks english well.. It woul be our first time in NY. Do you consider it a good place to stay for tourism? Thanks for tour time!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 19 plus 7?
Online Users

Guests: 12