Is Harlem safe?

Posted by Bean Counter 
jenn
Re: Is Harlem safe?
May 27, 2010 11:30PM
Chris,
Seriously, no need for your unnecessary comment. It is amazing what people say when hiding behind their computers.
Langston Hughes said: "There is so much to see in Harlem."

Sharp's plan of

"seeing the Apollo and dining in Harlem. I['m] going to take the subway from Brooklyn. Is Harlem safe in that area: Lenox Ave, 125Th ST, Malcolm X Blvd, 116Th ST?"

is a solid introduction to Harlem.

There is a great deal of history, churches, views and architecture above 135th St.

If you are planning a visit in advance, you can have a volunteer, someone from the neighborhood show you around for a could of hours. Contact the Big Apple Greeters.
WR
October 07, 2010 07:23PM
My wife and I just returned from NYC. We visited Harlem early afternoon, ate at Sylvia's *it was very good) walked down to the Apollo. I'm tall, shaved head, really white, wife is very pretty. We never got a second look from anyone.
October 09, 2010 10:59PM
Well, I kinda hope it's safe enough because I'm a mid-twenties blonde white female from the south who just got an apartment at 125th & Lenox...I'm looking forward to the experience...and of course I have a 12 month lease...but I love the place and I hope to make some new friends.... smiling smiley
October 21, 2010 10:15AM
Jenn,
I think people who type gibberish on message boards should be chastised for it. It's amazing people feel compelled to be so politically correct.
Regards,
Danielle
October 25, 2010 04:14PM
totally safe.
i;m 37, white male.
been living 5 minutes from there for 4 years now. no issues.
generally i'd try and venture west, not necessarily east of 5th Ave. but i know plenty of people who live there and i't no problem.
if you behave like a victim, you'll be one. that's as true in harlem as it is SoHo or Midtown.
you gotta be aware, but no need to be scared
Ron
October 28, 2010 03:59PM
It seems most think that Harlem is fairly safe. In June, I will be staying at a rented apartment on West 142nd Street in Hamilton Heights. Do any of you have thoughts regarding safety on this area?
Ron
Bridget
April 11, 2011 09:50PM
I am also wondering, is Harlem truly safe?
I've been getting both "Yes" and "No".
Would you recommend City College? Seems fine during the day, but does anyone know how it is around there during the darker hours of the day?
April 15, 2011 08:28AM
@ Bridget: If you are thinking of attending CCNY and also living in the neighborhood, I suggest visiting the area. Where I feel comfortable you may not. And if you are relying on the media to see what Harlem is like, keep in mind media is not always the best way to judge. Obviously crime is a concern, you can check out the crime statistics of every precinct in the city. Be sure to check out below 96th street which appears to be considered the "safe zone"the numbers may surprise you. But you need to see it yourself, and if you are not willing to visit CCNY after the sun goes down, I suggest you look at a different school.

@Ron safety is relative
s
June 04, 2011 10:16PM
hmmmm seems like a lot of people posting here are 'white' 'tall' with 'pretty wives'...wtf?! I'm from California and these answers seem mighty racist! I'm thinking about moving to NY and am wondering about this neighborhood. I've never been to NYC and would like some insight. I live in San Francisco now, with it's myriad of neighborhoods and am wondering what peeps would say about some of the streets here! I'm ethnically ambiguous in case anyone has any queries...not that it matters! duh.
June 09, 2011 12:12PM
wow Jason, at least you are up from about your blatant racism.

to S: As a new yorker most of the posts here and other "is Harlem safe" threads, DISGUST me. Harlem is filled with a wonderful mix of people; African Americans, West Indians, Africans, and of course now that gentrification is the trend in NYC some white people. There a re a few Latinos, but there is a larger concentration in East Harlem. Obviously Jason is too scared to go to Harlem so he would have no clue as to what Harlem is actually like. As I have sadly watched many NYC neighborhoods lose the flavor that made them the unique neighborhoods they once were, I am infuriated. I live in Harlem, above 125th street (shocking I know), and the streets are fine. I get along with my neighbors aLets face it in NYC you should be careful wherever you are.

It is a sad fact that NYC is the 2nd most segregated city in America, and based upon the comments in this thread an the other similar threads, it is going to stay that way.

Oh yeah I am white, and I happen to think I am a pretty wife.
June 09, 2011 03:00PM
Bardo,
Racism sucks. We do our best to delete such small thinking posts.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 5?
Online Users

Guests: 10