Rats in the subway?

Posted by alejandra 
Danielle
Re: Rats in the subway?
July 28, 2008 03:54PM
As long as they stay on 'their side of the street' I'm fine. But - when they get too close I become undone.

Mostly I see them on the tracks, but have had two encounters with them on the actual platform - once darting in and out of the holes drilled in the wall and once one was coming up the subway stairs as I was coming down. Other times, when you see big piles of garbage bags on the street at night, look out.

It could be worse, though - I have never been 'chased' by one (friends true story) and have never been trapped on an actual TRAIN CAR with one (another gory tale from a friend). I figure the longer I live here the wilder my rat stories may become.

But, they are a fact of life out here. You'll be shocked at how quickly you adjust.
July 31, 2008 10:04AM
Ho YES I have seen RATS ...and so many times ... lol

I can tell you that they are not on diet over here (they look huge)
March 18, 2009 12:12PM
Come to think of it I have not seen a rat in a while
Oracle?
March 18, 2009 01:19PM
They must be avoiding you, KM. I just saw one last night. It had a little green hat on and plastic shamrock beads.
March 18, 2009 04:41PM
I've definately seen them on 34th and F - right under the Manhattan Mall. They jumped up on the platform and started up the stairs. Must have been that food court. Penny's won't allow it, <grin>
March 19, 2009 09:54AM
Jumped on the platform? Scurried up the stairs? Very unratlike behavior. Usually they scurry beside the railbed, in and out of the little drainage holes, etc.

But there are a lot of them.
November 08, 2009 02:48PM
Rats rule the subway rails, platforms Aug 2008

[www.newsday.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 02:51PM by askanewyorker.
November 09, 2009 06:27PM
Why are rat testicles so big?

[www.ratbehavior.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 06:27PM by askanewyorker.
January 08, 2010 02:53PM
Last Wednesday late at night on the uptown platform of the #1 train at 66th St., I saw something that looked like a little hairball, black, moving very quickly on the platform. When it came close to where I stood I moved back toward the wall, and it veered and came toward me. I then moved forward again, and it started moving back quickly toward the north end of the platform. If this had been an elevated station or the street, I would have thought it was something pushed by the wind, but there was no wind on the platform. I was sure it was alive the way it ran. I saw no legs, no arms, just a black ball of hair. Does anyone know what this was or whom I could contact to find out more?
January 13, 2010 05:57AM
We have dust bunnies in our apartment which have a similar movement when they see the swifter come out of the closet.
June 17, 2010 06:52AM
Corrigan said the main attraction in many subway stations is the room where trash is stored after it is collected from cans on the platform. Rats typically live in the walls of those rooms, which are often located right on the train platforms.

A family of eight to 12 rats can make its home in one cinderblock, and every cinderblock in a wall can be occupied "much like we do with apartment buildings," he added.

The pests present a very real danger, Corrigan said.

Read more: [www.nypost.com]
[www.nypost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 06:54AM by askanewyorker.
January 14, 2011 06:23AM
Rat crawls up sleeping mans face in subwaydrinking smiley

[www.nbcnewyork.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 24?
Online Users

Guests: 11