Does anyone in New York wear shorts?

Posted by simple simon 
Does anyone in New York wear shorts?
May 18, 2008 06:03PM
I am coming to your fine city soon for a week long vacation. I have read many guide books, and one of them was very insistent that no-one in New York ever wears shorts.
Now, I usually live in shorts (casual short trousers rather than athletic shorts) and the weather in New York is warm enough for me to consider wearing them when I arrive, but, I don't want to be the only person in the whole of New York wearing shorts.
So, will I be the only person in the city in shorts, or will there be others like me?
Thanks.
In NYC, shorts are generally for sportswear ONLY. You can wear shorts if biking, playing baseball, or heading out on a boat on the river. Perhaps if you're sunbathing. But as normal daily wear? NO WAY. No matter HOW hot it is.
Re: Does anyone in New York wear shorts?
May 19, 2008 04:01AM
I do see people wearing shorts in NY but then I live in a touristy area. My son and his mates have been living in NY for over 2 years and when it's hot they wear shorts, just the same as they would in Australia, as does my husband.
ccsunshine
May 19, 2008 05:43AM
huh? is it true that people in a hot city like NY dont wear shorts?? neither girls or boys??what do people dress like in the summer when the weather is lik HOOOT?..how many celsius degrees in last part of JUNE? I prefere temperature around 20-25celsius...
dont girls in the 20s wear minishorts either?? what about skirts, summerdresses? Ive the impression people in NY dont like to dress nice on a normal day. Ive been to NY in wintertime only,though..(christmas)
I'm a native New Yorker, and Marea points out correctly that people who have arrivd here recently from other places may have other opinions.

Girls can wear anything they want; sundresses are popular, as are short skirts, miniskirts, capri pants and even classy, girly shorts (but not androgynous shorts.) The no-shorts thing mostly applies to men.

During summer, I wear jeans or khakis ... I was taught to believe that for a man, wearing shorts isn't "dressing nice," it's the opposite - wearing shorts is dressing like you're out for a day at the beach - not appropriate unless you're out for a day at the beach! It would be like wearing swimming trunks walking around town.

The same goes for men wearing sandals. (But only for men.)
Oracle?
May 19, 2008 08:29AM
No worries, you'll see shorts all over the place. Some people even wear white sneakers with them!

Really, no one in NY pays attention to what anyone else is wearing. Well, unless they look really really good.
May 19, 2008 06:17PM
Or really really bad.
Does this mean that I wouldn't be able to wear the English National costume fo a Union Jack T shirt, shorts, white socks and sandals whilst strutting down 5th Avenue?
May 20, 2008 06:43AM
Maybe if you skip the socks. Socks and sandals yuucckk!!! Actually men in sandals yuucckk!!
Oracle?
May 20, 2008 08:59AM
Seriously, did anyone give you a second glance when you looked like the Ayatollah?
May 21, 2008 11:58AM
I understand you completely Marea! Men should only wear closed toe sandels in my opinion. My man has yet to get that. NO SOCKS with sandles EVER!! Unless you are doing a sport, tennis shoes and shorts don't go together either in my opinion.

There are no fashion police in NY though, so just wear what makes you comforable. As a woman, I wore city short while there last summer. My son wore the regular teen shorts attire, and I think my husband may have wore dress shorts (basically look like short trousers) once or twice. We never felt out of place.
Not only do New Yorkers not notice when you are wearing a fake beard (never mind shorts)....but you can 'play' an inflated plastic guitar in the middle of Times Square too...and nobody bats an eyelid!!

And you should definitely wear your Union Jack outfit ES. Very fetching!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 17 plus 16?
Online Users

Guests: 7