Mama Leones

Posted by Peggy Fretz 
Rod
Re: Mama Leones
October 29, 2009 09:51PM
My mom and dad took me there on a special trip to NYC and it was a great experience and the food excellent. The sevice was freindly and old world professional. I still have the menu and a sugar cube with Mama Leone's name and address on it.
November 03, 2009 01:34PM
Those of us who live(d) locally knew it as a tourist trap. We tended to head for Little Italy (south of Canal, east of Broadway, west of Chinatown) for the really good stuff.
December 07, 2009 05:40PM
I sure do miss Mama Leone's. Apparently it was quite the spot.

My Aunt Anne came up from DC to NY for a visit, to shop and go to the theater and of course eat at Mama Leone's after.

My Aunt Anne is a professionally trained singer and had the place going for a long time along with her accompanists the violinists. What a night I will remember.

This was in the 60s I am thining.

Although the Horn and Hardart across from Radio City Music Hall was for a family of 6 the place after the show. Standing in freezing cold for the Christmas show blocks long lines but well worth it. A yearly tradition in our family and lots of fun.
December 13, 2009 11:52PM
I went in 1980 when my high school band from the Riverview High School Kiltie band in Sarasota were there for the Macy's day parade. We had a great time in NYC and a trip to Mama Leone's was one of the highlights along with a trip to Macy's, seeing the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall and going to the Minscoff theater and seeing West Side Story. David Bowie was in the Elephant Man at that time too, at a theater right behind our hotel on 44th St. Unforgettable visit, never been back since, but always wanted to make a trip back.
January 27, 2010 01:46PM
My parents too me to Mama Leone's after seeing Sara Jessica Parker in her final performance as Annie. Back then of course nobody knew who she was and during the last act all the girls on stage were crying...my mom said "are they beating them backstage or something?" Then they announced it was her last performance. Anyway, we then went to Mama Leone's. This was the last time I was there. I imagine it was the early 80s or so. At that point it still seemed pretty good, but I was just a kid, so who knows. I do remember the flagrantly gay waiter, which was a novelty to me back then. It was really a great night. Too bad ML's had to "go corporate".
March 04, 2010 03:04PM
I worked in Manhattan in the Pan Am building for Pan American Airlines and went to Mama Leones with the girls from the office and also with my now husband. We are now married for 40 years.

I have great memories of Mama Leones. My husband had taken me there once for my birthday and I remember the roaming violinists gathering around our table to serenade us. The food was delicious, the atmosphere great....I will surely miss MAMA LEONES.
April 08, 2010 12:56PM
Growing up as a child, I went to Mama Leones at least 1 x a year if not more!... The 1st place I tried S cargot!!! The place where the waiters would dance with me and sing... Im so sad to here its not there anymore!!!
April 08, 2010 01:05PM
I don't care for Mama Leones. I think it sucks ass. I would rather read Oracle's posts than watch that show.
April 29, 2010 08:26AM

Look those pictures from 1980
BRGDS
Juan José "Pepe" LAICI
Re: Mama Leone's
April 29, 2010 08:42AM
In May 1980, I've spent a whole week in the President Hotel, just in front of Mama Leone's in the 48Th Street...
I wasn't rich enough to eat there but I've found the pink building really funny...
That's because I've taken that picture !!!
30 years went on and I can't believe it....
May 15, 2010 01:18PM
On a drama class trip to NYC in April 1973, our group ate at Mama Leoni's. It was my first experience at a real restaurant (we were very poor). I was amazed at the amount of food and the service. I could have sworn Mama Leoni's was in the basement of the hotel we stayed in, but it didn't look anything like the photo above. What was it's address?

A few of our drama group recreated our trip in October of 2008, and searched in vain for Mama Leoni's. We couldn't even find the hotel in which we stayed in '73. It seemed so luxurious 35+ years ago. That was my first New York experience (I could tell a thousand stories!), and it is still one of my favorite cities. I brought my adult daughters last year for a long weekend of shows, shopping and dining. They fell in love with New York too.
May 20, 2010 02:56PM
I went to Mama Leones twice,and both times were a great experience. We had good food and and a lady walked around strumming a guitar singing and taking request,it was fun.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 16