Cattleman Restaurant

Posted by askanewyorker 
Yes it's true, my brother was one of the mounted police that chased and caught the stagecoach. I don't believe it was the restaurant driver that was driving but some drunk who thought he was John Wayne I'm sure they weren't trained to do this but they must have watched a lot of westerns. I didn't think anyone remembers this and have been looking for information about it for a very long time . Thanks.
re Larry elman
September 10, 2013 10:35AM
To all who remember "THECATTLEMAN"
Sad news the man who changed in the restuarant business in New York has passed on .at the age of 86
LARRY EllMAN was leader in inovative ideas in how to bring people in to a store
to name a few
the Orangerie french bistro
the SteerPalace where whatever the Dow Jones Average finished at that day was what you paid for your meal
the cattle baron steak salad & dessert and all you could drink $9,95
also all the Beefsteak Charlies
the rrverboat luchows cattleman west and so many more
his ideas were amazing
so to his sons Kevin Sean and sister Lyn your dad and brother was the best .
my first job in america turned out to be one of the best things that could have happened to me for 25years
mitch mitchell
re drunken stage coach driver
it was the stage coach driver
he was a subtitute for the regular driver
I was involved in away
Ihad gone outside as a guest had left her glasses on the table and I went to give them to her
when I was going back into the restuarant the driver started screaming at me to get inside as he owned outside he then swung a punch at me that missed so I hit him once then went and told the Manager at the time he had better check this guy out when we went out he had taken off hellbent for leather as they say in the old west
the mounted were on 6th ave when he came by at a gallop bouncing cars whe he got to
Broadway the lights changed to green otherwise it would have been a disaster the mounted policeman jumped on and stopped the stage coach to save the day
mitch mitchell
roger
Re: Cattleman Restaurant Stagecoach Chase
September 21, 2013 01:50AM
hello there mitch. SEEMS LIKE YOUR TOOTING YOUR OWN HORN ALITTLE. ...SOUNDS AS THOUGH YOU STARTED THE WHOLE THING IN AWAY, WHAT EVER HAPPENED....LETS NOT FORGET HOW MANY HAPPY GROWN-UPS / KIDS THAT SAW / OR RODE IN A BONIFIDE STAGECOACH IN THE 20TH CENTURY , IN MANHATTAN , W/ 2 FANTASTIC WHITE HORSES... LET THEM LUCKY PEOPLE
REMEMBER SOME OF OUR FOND MAGICAL MOMENTS BUDDY.....TO BAD IN THE 25 YEARS YOU WERE THERE , YOU NEVER GOT A CHANCE TO BEFRIEND ANY OF THE COWBOYS / COWGIRLS THAT WERE ASSOCIATED W/ "THE CATTLEMANS STAGECOACH" THEY WERE THE NICEST PEOPLE ON EARTH / WOULD GIVE YOU THE SHIRTS OFF THEIR BACKS............I REMEMBER MYSELF ENJOYING THE UNIQUE EXPERIENCE OF DINNING AT THE CATTLEMAN WHEN SAMMY DAVIS JUNIOR WAS ON BROADWAY IN THE 1950'S OR EARLY 60'S............EVEN W/ YOUR NOT SO NICE EXPERIENCE THAT 1 TIME, YOU HAVE TO ADMIT THAT THE STAGECOACH WAS PRETTY DARN COOL.
Re: Cattleman Restaurant
December 22, 2013 08:42PM
My time at The Cattleman was brief, but memorable. My girlfriend an I visited NYC while we were in college in the early Sixties. We had dinner at the Cattleman and we're astounded to see television's Rifleman, Chuck Connors, dining at a nearby table. Great fun.
-AE
BT
Love
January 13, 2014 09:26PM
In 1968 I met a girl and fell in love with her. At the time she was 18 and me 22. I could not do anything about it. In 1977 I met the woman and was still in love with her. We had lunch at the Cattleman rest. ( her dad worked in nyc and she had just come back from Calif.) we ate on the 2nd flr in the last booth on the right hand side. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had a chance to further my relation with her and possibly marry her. Again I could not. She is in Calif. now and me in NJ. I know that for me as I said that day / lunch / rest. will always be so special. and yes I still do think about her.
November 18, 2014 12:42PM
Sean Ellman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm one of Larry Ellmans sons. I grew up in The
> Cattleman. I think I was about 6 when dressed up
> with cowboy vest and take guests to their tables.
> Larry lived at Rhinelander bldg with stepmom, me
> and brother Kevin. Dad still lives in NY.

I ate at The Cattleman in 1966 at the age of 13 on a trip to Manhattan from Montreal. I still remember it as the best rib steak I ever had. Perfectly salty, crusty and juicy. I've never had one like it since, though I've searched high and low. And my parents still agree with me on that so it's not just a warped and naive memory of an innocent boy. I remember not wanting the meal to end!

I was back in NY in 2000 and was sad to find out that The Cattleman had closed. And now I am equally sad to learn that I could have contacted the owner at that time, and now I have lost the opportunity forever.

Where can I get a copy of the menu? Where can I get the recipe for that steak!?

(I will order the "The Cattleman's Steak Book: Best Beef Recipes" from Amazon and hope that the recipe is there!)
DSL
December 04, 2014 11:45PM
Many fond memories of going there not only with my family but also a bunch of us went back in the early 70's when we were in college. When we were done eating the waiters helped us girls on with our coats and one said with an accent, "You have zee brush? We brush your hair! " Cracked us up. Loved that place. It was truly one of a kind!
SteveS
December 07, 2014 11:20PM
SteveS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sean Ellman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm one of Larry Ellmans sons. I grew up in The
> > Cattleman. I think I was about 6 when dressed
> up
> > with cowboy vest and take guests to their
> tables.
> > Larry lived at Rhinelander bldg with stepmom,
> me
> > and brother Kevin. Dad still lives in NY.
>
> I ate at The Cattleman in 1966 at the age of 13 on
> a trip to Manhattan from Montreal. I still
> remember it as the best rib steak I ever had.
> Perfectly salty, crusty and juicy. I've never had
> one like it since, though I've searched high and
> low. And my parents still agree with me on that so
> it's not just a warped and naive memory of an
> innocent boy. I remember not wanting the meal to
> end!
>
> I was back in NY in 2000 and was sad to find out
> that The Cattleman had closed. And now I am
> equally sad to learn that I could have contacted
> the owner at that time, and now I have lost the
> opportunity forever.
>
> Where can I get a copy of the menu? Where can I
> get the recipe for that steak!?
>
> (I will order the "The Cattleman's Steak Book:
> Best Beef Recipes" from Amazon and hope that the
> recipe is there!)

Well, I got the book and it does not have the recipe for the rib steak I had. Does anyone know how they did it?
December 19, 2014 12:53AM
It was the Cattleman Restaurant in New York which awoke me to real taste of Roast Prime Rib Steak. When I stayed in New York from 1978 to 1981, I used to enjoy Roast Prime Rib Steak at the Cattleman Restaurant with my family and/or my guests. Since I left New York, I am always looking for same as I enjoyed at the Cattleman Restaurant in New York whenever I go abroad.
February 08, 2015 08:41PM
Our Dad used to take us to this restaurant in the late 60s, after we had attended a Broadway show or another event. My brothers and I remember it fondly. The food was excellent and the service was great. I am sorry it had to close. It would be fun to revisit and relive those times. I remember we went there after seeing the show '1776' when we were teenagers.
I was Born in NY and worked for the Visual information System and The Network for
continual Education. I worked at 342 Madison Ave which was near the cattleman Restaurant
During 1967-1969. We used to go to the Cattleman restaurant either during lunch or after work to celebrate a birthday or other events that took place at work.
When I got engaged I took my present husband there to celebrate our engagement, my husband was from Cleveland Ojio, where I presently live. We both still talk about the restaurant and how we had the best Caesar Salad that we have ever had. The waiters where very professional . We where so fascinated the way the Caesar Salad was made. I still have the bracelet that was given to me 47 years as a momento for eating at the Cattlemans
What fond memories on that special night of ous
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 17 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 9