Cattleman Restaurant

Posted by askanewyorker 
Re: Cattleman Restaurant
December 12, 2010 11:00PM
I used to go to New York on business at least once a month. The Cattleman was a place where lots of ad agency people came for cocktails after work. i went there once and then my wife and our two sons, 11 and 9 came to join me for a long weekend and we did dinner at the Cattleman, then took the stagecoach to see 1776. It was a great part of a great weekend. We also did dinner at the Auto Pub which was in the GM Building. I'm coming to NY 12/28-30 with my grandchildren, 10 and 13, is there anything like the Cattleman in Manhattan today?
January 04, 2011 03:06PM
While watching The Devil wears Prada on Dutch TV, all of a sudden the word Cattleman came to me. No idea how or why. It was just then that I realized I once had a great lunch there with a gorgeous blonde VP of Pan Am. That was some 30 years ago. Both are gone (The Cattleman and Pan Am, that is). No idea what happened to the long legged blonde (who was Dutch by birth btw). I was about 17 years old at the time, visiting NY with my dad for business (Merill Lynch/Wallstreet). At that age I wouldn't even break a sweat devouring the largest steak on the menu. The Cattleman left a huge impression. Let this short rendition be proof of that unforgettable experience. I'm 47 now, (still) living in The Netherlands.
To all of you New Yorkers that worked at and visited this marvellous restaurant. Thank you for making it happen and leaving an ever lasting impression on a 17 year old boy from Holland. So sorry to find out the restaurant has closed it's doors.
I wonder if someone could confirm a Cattleman story I recall from about 1975. The Times wrote [the next day] that the Cattleman’s stagecoach driver had a little too much to drink one night, and took off with the coach along 43rd Street as fast as the horse could go. He was pursued by a posse of two mounted NYPD cops, and eventually arrested.

I’m not connected to any of this, except that I happened see it while I was walking home that night. I thought it was a movie or something until I saw how hard the cops were working to not get thrown off. I suspect they weren’t accustomed to galloping their mounts.

Do I have it right? I still don’t believe what I saw.

Thanks and all the best,

David White
I believe your recollection about the stagecoach chase is correct.

I went to the Cattleman several times as a kid, and my Dad worked around the corner at the NY Times, so he knew about the story and pointed it out to me in the paper.

Great memories in this thread. I was wondering if someone was going to bring up the chase.

=eye rolling smiley=
hi David
you were right about the stagecoach chase
I was initially involved with it as I had gone out side the front door and saw the driver who was a relief driver staggering around he then threw a punch at me which missed so I decked him then went inside to tell the manager that this guy was loaded and acting up
when we went out he was racing up the street smashing into cars on both sides as the horses had the bit out of there mouths so were uncontrollable
then at 6th Ave 2 mounted cops were waiting for the light to turn green when here comes the stagecoach flying bye they did think it was a movie then until he hit more cars
they took off after him .the thing that stopped a major disaster was the light went green on Broadway just as one of the cops jumped onto the coach and was able to pull the coach up in the middle of Broadway. the driver could not be be charged with DUI as it was not a motorized vehicle so the charge was racing horses in city streets as resisting arrest
so that's the whole story
Mitch
roger
Re: Cattleman Restaurant Stagecoach Chase
February 12, 2011 11:14PM
i drove the stagecoach from time to time in the 70 s.joe was the usual driver most of the 70 s / was also on the cattleman s payroll before that i think. one of the greatest guys you d want to meet let alone know.the regular driver before him was a nice guy too i heard. never heard the runaway story but will have to ask around the old timers. 43rd st. / that horses w/o bridles seems sketchy.spent many a fine evening at the cattleman
February 20, 2011 02:35PM
A friend told me of a large nude painting that he had painted that hung above the bar of the Cattleman. Does anyone remember this painting?
April 14, 2011 07:59AM
Roger, I think I know who you are. My brother, Stephen and my brother-in-law, Joe both drove the stagecoach at different times. Silver and Shawn were the horses, One was 'people shy' and would kick out if someone approached him from the rear. I remember a story about the horses going into a panic and taking off without their driver. Their normal route was a trip around the block and that's the route they followed ...'tho sometimes on the sidewalk and hitting motorized vehicles on the way.
roger
April 18, 2011 11:53PM
yeah i m him. nice to know some of us are still around. your right about the sidewalks, and any cars the stagecoach hit, just got too close to Us rather than we mowing into them cause we were partying to much. couldn t have a much better job. i still have that very nice letter ya sent somewheres. too many chicks w/ your maiden name on facebook . ya still got my address. lets tell the cattleman world that your sister is super cool too...........................
April 24, 2011 12:40PM
Sister and brother-in-law took us to dinner at the Cattleman's right before we went to see Equus. I still remember ordering a sampler platter that was huge (And, delicious). Had steak, hamburger, chicken breast or something and more. Always tell my wife (Second) that we should have a dinner and serve the platter (Even if I can't remember the exact items). Outstanding food and service.
May 14, 2011 04:58PM
It is so neat to hear all about the cattleman west! I just found a box of stick matches from the cattleman west that looks brand new that someone saved. and i thought id check it out it has Larry Ellman,prop written on it with the address of 154 West 51st St at seventh ave new york, 10019 and the phone #. i have a lot of other old box matches from old places i have to check out too!..sounds like this was a fun place!!
August 08, 2011 07:46AM
ROGER - - Sorry about the delay in responding. Don't check here too often. Just sent a Facebook friend request to you . . . at least I think it is you. I do have your address somewhere, but where is the question? Maralyn's birthday is the 23rd of this month - my granddaughters want to have a party for her - so that's what we are doing!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 17 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 8