Steamed bagel sandwiches?

Posted by Kristin 
Steamed bagel sandwiches?
November 19, 2007 07:17PM
I love steamed bagel sandwiches, but I haven't found a place in NYC? I like in Park Slope, but I'm willing to go anywhere people recommend!!
Re: Steamed bagel sandwiches?
November 19, 2007 07:20PM
I don't mean bagels that are made with steam... I mean sliced and toasted bagels loaded with sandwich toppings and put in a steamer to make all melty and gooey.
November 20, 2007 05:05AM
Those are widely available in Kansas.
December 10, 2007 10:40PM
Please! Anyone? Has anyone eaten at Chicago Bagel Authority... they make steamed bagel sandwiches. Surely there is a place in NYC too!
Red
December 11, 2007 08:11AM
That's just not something I'm familiar with in NYC. We do have bagel sandwiches here, but they are generally not steamed. The toppings are placed on the bagel fresh (like a standard sandwich), or, in a worse case, microwaved.

If you're looking for hot pressed sandwiches, though, many delis (as well as the Cosi chain) do panini on flatbread.
December 11, 2007 08:13AM
Hi Kristin,
I just made a few calls. H&H just informed me that New York stlye is mostly a boiled and bake method. He did not know of anyone steaming... Although he did say there could be a small begal store that does. I'll keep an hear open for the steam style....
December 11, 2007 09:37AM
Thanks for the help. I'm going to keep looking as well. This was a favorite of mine in my college town in the midwest, but I was also able to find it in Chicago. It is really the best sandwich you'll ever eat. Amazing. I'm not sure what the technique of making the actual bagel is, but it is the completed sandwich that is steamed. It's sliced and loaded with unique toppings and then placed in a steamer to have everything melt together. Haha. Clearly, I'm obsessed.
September 12, 2008 04:49PM
Kristin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't mean bagels that are made with steam... I
> mean sliced and toasted bagels loaded with
> sandwich toppings and put in a steamer to make all
> melty and gooey.

Wow I haven't had a steamed bagel since I was in Oxford, Ohio at Miami University.
September 12, 2008 09:58PM
Many years ago, bagels were unknown outside of the New York City region. Now we have steamed sandwiches that no one in New York ever heard of. Full circle.....

Will a deli buy a steamer to offer steamed bagel sandwiches? If there is room.

BTW, The up and coming sandwich chain is Firehouse Sub. The steam their sandwiches to draw the juice out of the meat.
September 14, 2008 10:13PM
Oh my gosh, my husband and I were just talking about CBA today! We used to go there all the time when we lived in Chicago and have yet to find a place that steams their bagel sandwiches here. I'll be on the lookout and let you know if I find anything!
September 15, 2008 05:45PM
Sounds like a niche to be filled by one of the 12,000 newly unemployed.
jenn
March 19, 2009 09:27AM
ohhh B&D I MISS YOU!!!!!!
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 13