"Hidden Wonders" of NYC

Posted by AshleyJ 
Re: "Hidden Wonders" of NYC
August 19, 2009 05:01PM
Home page photo

[www.prosperityfountain.com]
Greenacre park water sculpture

Paley Park served as a model for Manhattan’s popular Greenacre Park, located on 51st Street between 3rd and 2nd Avenues. Greenacre Park also features a 25 foot high cascading waterfall encompassing the rear wall. The fountain is flanked by landscaped trees and plantings, an outdoor café, and shady arbors, making the most of its small size. Greenacre Park was built in 1971 by the Greenacre Foundation.

217 E 51rst
btween 2nd and 3rd

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 05:09PM by askanewyorker.
October 27, 2009 08:14AM
Wow. This sounds like an amazing way to see all of Brooklyn, but how many days would that take? If I only had one extra day in NY to see Brooklyn or another borough, what would you recommend? I'm using mass transit, or my feet smiling smiley
October 27, 2009 11:10AM
I'd say go to Brooklyn.
you can see all kinds of cool art galleries, shops, restaurants in Williamsburg, see brooklyn heights just over the bridge, and much more.
you could walk over the bridge to brooklyn, explore brooklyn heights (don't forget the brooklyn heights promenade for great views and picture-taking spots) then take the f train at jay st/borough hall one stop out to hoyt schermerhorn to get the G train to metropolitan ave. Now you're in williamsburg. you can either take a ten minute walk to the heart of williamsburg (bedford ave and North 7th St) or transfer at metropolitan for the L one stop to bedford ave.
see [www.freewilliamsburg.com]
or, you could go to williamsburg later in the day, hang out, then find a place to eat over there.
October 27, 2009 11:49AM
We enjoyed our evening spent in Williamsburg very much. There are lots of restaurants to choose from, and here is one store we really enjoyed [www.brooklynindustries.com]
November 04, 2009 09:11AM
My wife and I were in New York for the 4th of July weekend and had a blast. I was reluctant to take a tour bus, but we ended up on one anyway and my wife said it was the best part of the trip. ( a hop on hop off bus). There is just so much to see in NYC and we found the tour bus very convenient. I would do it again and sit in the back, because you can get some great photos from there, as I did.
March 19, 2010 09:06AM
There's nothing hidden about it. But the High Line is wonderful.
[www.thehighline.org]

[www.forgotten-ny.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 09:14AM by askanewyorker.
April 15, 2010 09:44PM
We loved our Big Apple Greater Thomas.....Highly recommend...We had such a great experience learning about this great city....a Must...
April 21, 2010 12:00PM
[www.americanwaymag.com] with a historical novel. In December 1979, Bob Diamond was an engineering student at Pratt Institute when he heard a radio show about The Cosgrove Report by G.J.A O’Toole. The program discussed a section of the novel that involved the missing 18 pages of John Wilkes Booth’s diary hidden behind a false stone block in a metal box, next to an old steam train lying on its side in a tunnel that was supposedly underneath Brooklyn’s Atlantic Avenue. A Brooklyn native, Diamond was immediately intrigued. Diamond even called up the author and inquired about the tunnel. “O’Toole said he got the idea for the tunnel from a newspaper article he read when he was a kid about Murder Incorporated burying dead bodies down there. He told me to see if I could find it.” So Diamond did just that.

The quest to find the tunnel wasn’t easy. First, nobody believed it was there: Countless times Diamond was told by various city officials that it didn’t exist. But he researched old newspaper archives and found articles about the tunnel, and finally, in 1980, he discovered the plans for the tunnel in the Brooklyn borough president’s office. In 1981, he persuaded the folks at Brooklyn Union Gas (now National Grid) to let him check underneath a manhole at the busy intersection of Atlantic Avenue and Court Street, which was where he believed the tunnel’s entrance to be. It was the moment that changed Diamond’s life forever: He had found the world’s oldest subway tunnel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2010 12:03PM by askanewyorker.
I run very offbeat tours of the city all the time, and my customers really seem to enjoy Chinatown. It's taken over most of Little Italy these days. It sounds very touristy, but if you avoid the "fake-purse" shopping there is a lot to see and eat, but you have to know where to go of course. Tourists also usually steer clear of St. Marks place, which is a lot of fun after dark.
Email me, I'll hook you up.
June 16, 2010 02:39PM
KM, Thanks for sharing the article about Bob Diamond and the Brooklyn Tunnel. It's on my to do list.
June 29, 2010 09:10AM
Great post! Thanks for the info.
June 29, 2010 11:12AM
Absolutely great thread with great links and info! Thanks!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 16?
Online Users

Guests: 12