"Hidden Wonders" of NYC

Posted by AshleyJ 
"Hidden Wonders" of NYC
April 13, 2007 11:27AM
Hi all....my cousin and I are going to NYC June 24-30 for the first time......yea!!!!!! smiling bouncing smiley

But both of us would really love to find, see, experience, etc. all of the wonderous things about New York that only a New Yorker would know about. I would love to get a little taste of what it would be like to live in NYC...I've definitely been considering it

I read a post that was by Elleke? a little while ago and I loved it because she talked about how she went to some places non touristy and what a great experience it was. I'm sure there are more though. I tried to seach past forums but I couldn't find much....I must have not been typing in the right words.

Any suggestions??? Very much appreciated, thank you!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 09:56AM by askanewyorker.
Red
Re: "Hidden Wonders" of NYC
April 13, 2007 11:46AM
Some suggestions ...

1) Get out of 'the box.' The tourist box in Manhattan south of 96th Street has by and large, with some exceptions, become a playground for the rich and is in my mind no longer representative of much of NYC. WE HAVE FIVE BOROUGHS.

2) Within 'the box,' get a Big Apple Greeter and ask about day to day life. Whether it's someone living in the West Village, the Upper East Side, or Hell's Kitchen, they'll be able to show you the layer of real New York that still lies, slowly suffocating, under all the overpriced glitz.

3) Avoid Times Square at all costs. We all do.

4) Go to Queens. If you spend too much time in Manhattan you may get the idea that everyone in New York is rich, white and thin. I know when I go to visit my dad on 73rd Street, it's kind of amazing. But if you go to Astoria, Jackson Heights, Woodside and Flushing you'll see an entirely different kind of New York City - the most diverse city in the world, where hundreds of ethnicities come together peacefully to celebrate old cultures and create new ones.

5) Go to Brooklyn. Queens has the new blood. Brooklyn, largely, has the old; established or transforming old ethnic neighborhoods with great architecture. Walk from Brooklyn Heights through Carroll Gardens to Park Slope, and circle back up through black Fort Greene, hasidic Williamsburg, hipster Williamsburg and Polish Greenpoint to see part of the range of what Brooklyn has to offer.
Oracle?
April 13, 2007 05:32PM
There are still some pretty interesting things in Manhattan, too. But do take the time to see other boroughs as well.

Big Apple Greeter is a great suggestion.
www.bigapplegreeter.org
April 14, 2007 11:42AM
Thanks guys! I just submitted a request for a Big Apple Greeter. Can't wait!!!
Mrvica
April 15, 2007 06:03AM
My great experience was finding Edgar Alan Poe's Cottage in Bronx. We went there with the city bus and came back to Manhattan by metro
April 16, 2007 09:09AM
Re: interesting and unsual things to see for free in NYC
Posted by: GKM (pool-72-68-161-69.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2006 04:51AM

141 Wooster Street in Soho...The Earth Room...A classic hidden gem. Once inside ask about the Broken Kilometer. Just around the corner. Same artist. Ask the kids to guess how many rods they see lying on the floor

www.earthroom.org

An interior earth sculpture.
250 cubic yards of earth (197 cubic meters)
3,600 square feet of floor space (335 square meters)
22 inch depth of material (56 centimeters)
Total weight of sculpture: 280,000 lbs. (127,300 kilos)

The New York Earth Room, 1977, is the third Earth Room sculpture executed by the artist, the first being in Munich, Germany in 1968. The second was installed at the Hessisches Landesmuseum in Darmstadt, Germany in 1974. The first two works no longer exist.

The New York Earth Room has been on long-term view to the public since 1980. This work was commissioned and is maintained by Dia Art Foundation.

Visitor Information

The New York Earth Room is open to the public Wednesday through Sunday, noon to 6 pm (closed 3:00-3:30). Admission is free.
April 16, 2007 09:12AM
Also in Soho... It's called The Broken Kilometer which is an art installation thats been around since 1979. Try to guess how many polished, round, solid, brass rods are lying on the floorsmiling smiley

address 535 West Broadway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 09:32AM by askanewyorker.
April 16, 2007 10:46AM
the broken kilometer is on west broadway, not 22nd St.
Sorry KM.
[newyork.citysearch.com]
August 10, 2008 11:17AM
My garden on Bliss Streetwinking smiley
Try [lowereastsidetours.org] -- they offer free walking tours off the beaten path, all run by native new yorkers! (A novelty in this tourist trap-town)

Check it out!
October 06, 2008 03:47PM
cool smiley This is a cool thread.
October 07, 2008 10:07AM
Thanks for bringing this thread back up KM.

The Morriss Jumel Mansion in Harlem, where President Washington had his headquarters during the Revolution, and also dined with 3 future Presidents.
[www.morrisjumel.org]

and if you go on a Sunday, a trip to 555 Edgecombe Ave is a must.
[www.harlemonestop.com]
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 10?
Online Users

Guests: 13