what to wear to Broadway plays

Posted by Russ 
what to wear to Broadway plays
June 26, 2006 07:54PM
What should we wear to Wicked? Is the dress the same for other plays as well?
Re: what to wear to Broadway plays
June 26, 2006 09:53PM
Matinees are more casual than evenings. Either way, while I have seen some people in jeans, they were in the minority. For a matinee I would wear something akin to business casual (oxford, khakis and sportcoat for a man, dress or seps - some sort of nice looking outfit - for a woman). For evenings, consider whether you have dinner plans before or after, and if so, what the proper attire for that may be. I find it's best to err on the side of looking smart rather than looking sloppy, but that's just me. Use your best judgment and I'm sure you'll be fine. Have a great time!
Thanks.

We'll be going to 8pm performance with our 2 teenagers. I think I'll wear a sport coat with tie, my wife a dress, and the kids casual (khakis, buttondown, etc). Dinner are not set, but I don't think we're planning for anything too dressy.

Russ
June 30, 2006 06:15PM
There are no fashion police at the theater doors. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Seriously, you're sitting in cramped seats in the dark. I go to the theater all the time, and couldn't care less what someone is wearing, as long as they're quiet during the performance and don't smell! You'll see all manner of dress.

If you plan on eating nearby, you'll need reservations. Theater district restaurants are busy. Check if there's a dress code at your restaurant.

You'll love "Wicked!"
j+e
January 12, 2007 12:04PM
we are going with school to a Broadway show and we dont know what we are seeing yet. Is it the same dressing standard for every show? please we need help on what to buy!!!

+ please will you tell us what to wear in the city?

Thank you! J+E xxxx
January 12, 2007 06:00PM
No witch hats!
January 12, 2007 07:54PM
Yes, I guess you could say that the "dressing standard" is the same for all Broadway shows, because unless you're going to some sort of black tie event, there really isn't one. I wouldn't rush out and buy something--just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Nice pants/jeans/skirt with a shirt or sweater would be perfectly fine. You'll see people in everything from suits and dresses to jeans and tee shirts, so really, it's up to you.
Oracle?
January 13, 2007 10:30AM
No need for jackets and ties. Comfort is key. It's more important, though, that theater-goers show good manners and social etiquette. Be clean, quiet, don't kick the seats, don't unwrap candy that makes noise. Turn off your cell phone. Don't sing along. You know -- the common sense things you wish others would learn.
January 14, 2007 01:35PM
Well put Oracle
January 22, 2007 02:06PM
You can where whatever you want to a Broadway show. There are no longer dress codes in the audience. If you are going to the opera or symphony it might be a different story, but as long as your clothes aren't tattered and torn, you'll fit right in, though you will see someone people in suits and ties and others in shorts and t-sirts.

Considering you've paid upwards of $100 per ticket, you make the rules.
January 22, 2007 04:31PM
Show respect for the money you earn and spend. Dress up. Not to the hilt, but special.
January 22, 2007 04:33PM
I forgot! Welcome Scott!!!
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 2?
Online Users

Guests: 23