Best New York Moment

Posted by jeans 
Tim
Re: Best New York Moment
June 21, 2006 02:41PM
I have a couple from when i went:

1) My first view of the city as we flew alongside on the approach to Newark something i will never forget.

2) My first visit to Times Square at night very dazziling.

3) a real cheesey tourist one the ESB seen it on TV and in films but it wasnt till i saw it myself that i fully appreciated the beauty of the view, especially at night.
June 21, 2006 02:44PM
Oh you guys make NYC seem so magical I really feel like I also want my very own New York Moment or Minute...
June 22, 2006 12:11PM
Jeans...I also read that book (Kahlil Gibran and Mary Haskell) about 30 years ago, given to me by a good friend. Unfortunately I let someone borrow it and never got it back. Have been meaning to buy another copy for years, as I loved it so much...this has reminded me to do so.
June 22, 2006 08:21PM
Tim...I think that for many, the first sight of the skyline literally takes your breath away. I remember it did for me. Because the first site is usually from a great distance,(I landed in Newark the first time) it looms on the horizon seeming to hold the promise of a host of adventures & mysteries....of its history, its people, its restaraunts, theatre, celebrities,.....I could go on & on.

KM...thanks for bringing this back up to the top...I'm glad that it is being enjoyed so much.

Mell...buy it now....life is short. Print mailling labels for your books.

I've noticed in the two weeks since I have been back how spoiled we are here in
So. California in regards to driving vs. walking.

In The City, walking 5 blocks is nothing. I had to laugh at myself. I realized when I went into town, many of my stops were across the street from each other, yet I would drive to them. (Well...the parking lots are very large)

Or....I would circle the parking lot until a spot came up in front, then go into the gym and get on the treadmill for 30 minutes....what's wrong with that picture?

June 25, 2006 05:08AM
Jeans...I know what you mean about walking. Here in the UK I walk for miles. But a few years ago I stayed for a month in SF, and spent 2 weeks in LA.

Whilst in LA my friend and I used to walk from our motel about 3 blocks to a diner for breakfast every morning. Striding along the street, in glorious sunshine, enjoying every minute.

After a couple of days we noticed that people passing by in their cars would turn to look at us, and we realised that we were the ONLY ones walking....everybody else would drive, even if only across the street to the shops.

Very strange, we thought. But as you say...the parking lots are huge, and the streets are wide......So we hired a car!!!
July 14, 2006 12:13PM
I'm the Chris that "Salsa" girl referred to! smiling smiley
NYC was fantastic. Everything I had hoped for. I went with my best friend to visit her sister (also a good friend). My friend has lived in New York for about 10 years.
It's hard to say exactly what my best moment was. I LOVED all the inside stories and places my friend took us to. She works at the NY Public Library and has a good friend at the Met, so we got to see a lot of the behind the scenes places and hear some great stories. We visited some underground bars and out of the way locations.
One great moment was the CD release party for her husband's new CD. It was on the roof of a building overlooking the George Washington bridge. It had rained that day so the sunset was fantastic and the night magical.
July 14, 2006 01:19PM
CHRISTINE!!!! LOL! You didn't tell me about the CD party when I saw you at Charlie Brown's!!!! Sounds like a great NY moment. Okay, more drinks on the patio then!!! Now visit the forum when you have time to help out other visitors or newcomers smiling smiley

Jeans, you reminded me of my FIRST NY moment. My inlaws had picked us up in Newark and we drove into New York with the top down on the car. Driving up Broadway and headed towards Times Square and having the city surrounding you all the way around is awesome.
July 29, 2006 02:15PM
My *best* NY moment has to be when my now husband proposed while we were skating on the Wollman Rink. It will stay in my mind forever. Close second would be one New Years Day walking down battery park, looking at Lady Liberty bathed in beautiful winter sunshine ... ahhh bliss!

x x x
September 03, 2007 01:14PM
Here's another favorite New York moment, watching the US Open this past Sat. courtsidesmiling smiley What a gorgous day! Federer up next....the grounds are fantastic and the energy is out of this world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2007 08:47AM by askanewyorker.
September 03, 2007 09:16PM
We have been watching most of it. Our German exchange student was estatic that Haas won. How much better to have been there! Hmm, sounds like a family vacation with our tennis playing niece in a year or so.

New York moment from our June trip. First day in NY walking our "new" neighborhood on the UWS and within 5 minutes seeing a commercial being filmed off of Amsterdam, and shortly after seeing Richard Belzer at the outdoor seating area of Nice Matin in the Hotel Lucerne. Later that night Oracle showed us all the places that were in our neighborhood and used in the movie You Got Mail. Including the very, very nice Zabar's...... MMmmmmm, extra smoked salmon.....
September 09, 2007 03:44PM
Mens Finals US Open Federer vs Djokovic starting right now...live in Flushing Queens. I can practically hear the cheers from Sunnysidesmiling smiley
September 15, 2007 08:54PM
Hey, Everybody - just tumbled onto this zany site today and have been totally absorbed for hours, missing manhattan and being both soothed and made teary-eyed by various passages I've read..."Best New York Moments" really seized my attention and seemed the best place for my first post. I like to think of my BEST NEW YORK ADVENTURES....

Here goes:

Sometime in the late eighties or early nineties, my three fave noo yawk pals and I discovered the existence of the coolest store in chinatown. I don't remember it's name or the north-south street that it was on, only that the little street was a north-south one and it was on the west side of that street. You'd walk into this tiny, narrow store-front, not much bigger than a walk-in closet, and it was stuffed with glass shelves full of the usual chinese tourist bric-a-brac: paper umbrellas and fans, those little black cotton slipper/shoes, wind chimes and tasseled wall scrolls with red dragons painted on them, chopsticks and those little ceramic money cats. And then there was the Back Counter. At this counter, one asked to see the menu. This menu changed daily and was hand-written on a piece of notebook paper and was presented on a clip-board. What was listed was every insanely amazing kind of firework you could possibly imagine, the variety was endless. You would make hash marks with a pencil next to each of whichever kind you wanted. Your order would be filled in the back and be presented to you well concealed within the casual confines of a brown paper bag. We went to that place more times than I can remember, never tiring of the clandestine nature of the whole thing, or the perpetual parade of choices - we looooooooooooooooooved setting fireworks off anywhere we could!!! At the foot of the world trade center, down along the river walk below the world financial center (out over the river was great!), on our rooftops (mine in the west 40's/50's and Doug's in washington heights) and in central park all over the place; god, we had fun!
Speaking of setting off fireworks in central park, man! I know from reading and friends who are still there that new york today is a different new york than when I was there last, but I'm happy to have been there when I was. Over the years from 1986 through 1991, we spent probably hundreds of nights in central park, having the times of our lives - young and full of ourselves and grabbing up everything the city had to offer, in spades! How about the night when Doug and I were left alone in the park after Scott and Randy had taken off and we still had a bottle of champagne and a brown paper bag full of chinatown goodies in our possession. We were walking westward along the southern rim of the rowboat pond, and I discreetly stepped down to the water's edge behind a bush to ...er, take care of a quick bit of business (we had already had one or two bottles of champagne - ahem...) and while squatting there, I look out across the water, and what do I see gliding toward me across the water, but any empty and completely untethered rowboat! WITH AN OAR IN IT! Did I mention it was coming RIGHT TO ME?! I could NOT believe my eyes. I called out excitedly to Doug, standing up and straightening out double quick. He came running down, thinking I was in trouble, but he found me pointing out onto the water, and instantly saw the boat as it made its way even closer. It was less than a minute before we were on that thing, champers and 'works in tow and bound for one of the single most wonderful nights the city ever blessed either of us with....now THAT was a BEST NEW YORK ADVENTURE if ever there was one - we didn't come back to shore until just pre-dawn and it was like coming back to earth after being in outer-space. what a night!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 13 plus 10?
Online Users

Guests: 15