Best New York Moment

Posted by jeans 
Re: Best New York Moment
May 14, 2006 09:04PM
Great NY moment for me is always as soon as I step outside the airport and hear the energy of the city... it's amazingly refreshing coming from dead old Texas... then walking around those streets with brownstones feels like you're in a dream or a movie you've seen before. One time I walked for 8 hours straight (ok, I took like an hour break in the middle) or until my toe started to bleed cuz I was thirsty for all the city had to offer. After those many hours of walking, I came to my friend's house where I was staying and watched a romantic movie based in NYC and that was even amazing because I was right there where they were...

Worst moments in the city always seem to happen on the subway. With my luck, I always end up either sitting across some crazy man who's peakabooing behind his hands saying "Whhyyyyyyyyyy?" That was uncomfortable. Another time I got some man pissed at me for holding the same pole that he was. He removed himself from it and started making spit noises like "tsk" nonstop at me the whole time we were on there. OK, another uncomfortable moment was when I was leaving by myself from the Central park after seeing a concert in the summer and some guy whose question I answered about the concert turned away from going into the concert and started following me, asking me if I was from NY. I think he was looking for a friend but hey I was girl walking by myself in the dark in the park so I dialed a friend on my cell and ignored him until he parted his way... ok, enough with the bad moments.. besides those, nyc moments can be magical at every minute you're there...

Oh other awesome moments... The hotel we stayed at (I think it was Hotel 31) was nothing special but they left the door that took you to the roof open so you could sit on the steps and stare into people's apartments. Not that my friends and I like to watch people in any weird way, it's amazing to be able to see into people's apts because there are so many of them and they are all busy doing something else... It was a moment like from the movie "Rear Window"... that was so interesting.

Sorry, I can go on and on... NYC is definitely magical and like it is in the movies- very romantic, sexy, nostalgic, dangerous all in one...

Best New York moment is stepping off the plane at the airport knowing you've got days to re-acquaint yourself with the city that never sleeps, and to do all those things you've been looking forward to doing since your last visit!

Worst New York momnet? Waking up on the morning you're due to fly home.....
May 15, 2006 02:21PM
ES that is the worst NY moment I had too. Other than that, they are all good.
May 15, 2006 04:51PM
Even worse than waking up on the last morning, is that drive alone to the airport at 4am while the other person on the trip goes back to bed and has ANOTHER WHOLE DAY in New York!!!!! I was so jealous!
May 16, 2006 03:44PM
Ohhhhhhh! Mell, I don't think I could have handled that at all. I think I would have grabbed the covers off him and the bed and ran with them to the taxi just for spite.
May 17, 2006 04:43PM
Lol...what a brilliant idea, why didn't I think of that? Next time!!!!!
May 17, 2006 04:57PM
....and he is holding 2 tickets for us to go see Billy Joel at Wembley in July. So of course I wouldn't dream of pulling the covers off....not until the concert is over!
May 18, 2006 08:35PM
"When I am a stranger in a large city, I like to sleep in different rooms, eat in different places, walk through unknown streets and watch the unknown people who pass. I love being the solitary traveler! - Kahill Gibran, 1911

Thank you for sharing your stories, everyone .....I loved them all! I have less than two weeks to go...I'm in training now...walking and walking and walking....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2006 08:36PM by jeans.
May 23, 2006 02:47PM
Jeans,that is a quote I had not read before. Copied and printed it right out. I need to put that in the room I host students in. Maybe paint it around the room? They travel alone and we like to encourage them to see and do as much as possible. Thanks for the inspiration!!
May 23, 2006 10:03PM
Salsa,

You are quite welcome! It comes from a book that was given to me 30 years ago this summer. "I Care About Your Happiness" Quotations from the Love Letters of Kahlil Gibran and Mary Haskell.

Many of them are quite moving....no doubt written with no expectation of them ever being made public. They span from 1908 to 1924.
KM
June 21, 2006 07:12AM
Keep this thread alive...
June 21, 2006 09:58AM
Kennedy I am sending this link to a friend who will be leaving to NY on Tuesday for her first trip. Chris, I hope you become addicted to this site. Look forward to hearing about your trip with Amy and Nina HERE and at lunch or dinner.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 14?
Online Users

Guests: 13