Best New York Moment

Posted by jeans 
Best New York Moment
May 11, 2006 03:09AM
What are some moments that define living/visiting in New York? The good, bad & the ugly. I would like to hear from visitors and native alike.

Thanks

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2009 11:06AM by askanewyorker.
KM
Re: Best New York Moment
May 11, 2006 06:37AM
Yes the New York minute is a defining collection of moments that litterally can transform and touch you in many ways. Just standing on a street corner always moves me in some way. Watching, listening to, people can be an exhausting pasttime. I do it all the time. Humanity at it's best and worst, challanging you, perhaps asking you to help or at least to think. Living in New York is like getting your docterate in people interactions. It teaches you patients,which I'm lousy at, understanding,working on this one and a bevy of other emotions...anyways yesterday I video profiled,a soon to be section on the site,a New Yorker...a six foot seven rapping,healing,spiritual guru walking jew. This is what it pretty much says on a very large sign he carries around. Was this a defining moment,probably not, but it's part of the colorful mosaic that makes living here amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2006 06:51AM by KM.
May 11, 2006 07:59AM
On my first trip to New York 3 years ago I was standing on the corner of 5th Ave and 9th Street and a woman walked up 5th Ave singing New York New York at the top of her lungs, it was great, a real New York moment for me.
May 11, 2006 09:01AM
Walking down the street & seeing someone famous.

I've seen (and still counting):

Brad Pitt & Juliette Lewis (when they were dating, of course) coming out of the Plaza

David Bowie & Iman getting out of a limo on Central Park South

Chris Farley near the NBC studios

Henry Winkler (the FONZ) on 7th or 8th Ave. near 42nd.

Sara Jessica Parker at a Yankees World Series game (outside the stadium)

LL Cool J w/Rahkim (of Eric B & Rahkim....80's rappers) at Planet Hollywood (YEARS ago & yes I actually went there)

Lauren Hutton in the Village one morning

Melanie Griffith while she was filming "A Stranger Among Us"...I was down on 47th Street one Sunday morning (don't ask why) & they were filming the movie there....pretty cool.

My sister met Liv Tyler in the Village about 2 years ago.

A girl I use to work w/met Jason Giambi (of the Yankees) at a bar one night.

May 11, 2006 09:05PM
KM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes the New York minute is a defining collection
> of moments that litterally can transform and touch
> you in many ways. Just standing on a street corner
> always moves me in some way. Watching, listening
> to, people can be an exhausting pasttime. I do it
> all the time. Humanity at it's best and worst,
> challanging you, perhaps asking you to help or at
> least to think. Living in New York is like getting
> your docterate in people interactions. It teaches
> you patients,which I'm lousy at,
> understanding,working on this one and a bevy of
> other emotions...anyways yesterday I video
> profiled,a soon to be section on the site,a New
> Yorker...a six foot seven
> rapping,healing,spiritual guru walking jew. This
> is what it pretty much says on a very large sign
> he carries around. Was this a defining
> moment,probably not, but it's part of the colorful
> mosaic that makes living here amazing.
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 05/11/06 04:51AM by
> KM.

VERY well put...you've articulated exactly why I like to travel solo when I can. On my first trip, we were walking somewhere near Times Square when we saw a 30-something business man striding forcefully toward us,... his tie flapping over his shoulder, cell phone to his ear. As he passed by us, we heard heard his angry voice shout into the phone..."I DON'T KNOW WHY I MOVED BACK TO THIS F...ING CITY!!" Hmm....are we having a bad day? We just busted up laughing.
May 12, 2006 06:12AM
When I first visited in January 2001 (after years of yearning) I was walking along W42 St about 3 am after a night of blues music at BB Kings. It was still all hustle and bustle and as I stood at a street corner...it started snowing ever so gently.

As I looked up into the night sky I just thought it was SO great.

When people say first impressions are lasting impressions they couldn't be more right. NYC is everything you see in the movies and so much more. Fantastic city and great people.
May 12, 2006 09:46AM
My first visit in New York, back on 1995: I was young and didn’t know anybody in the big apple. Instead of being intimidated I immediately felt a sense of freedom, meeting the love of my life after a couple of days! I have been very fortunate, living in the most exciting city in the world with the man of my dreams…one of the best moments were the outdoor movies in Bryant Park with wine and cheese. Amazing
May 12, 2006 10:54AM
Austin you reminded me of one of my other New York moments, the big snow blizzard in February 2005, it was magical for us, especially being from Australia where we only get snow in a very small part of the country. The first day when it started while we were coming back from the supermarket and then that night when we went to a restaurant around 25 metres from our apartment then at a bar 10 metres away followed by a snow fight outside our building and then so much fun in Central Park the next morning, truly brilliant.
May 12, 2006 11:21AM
My New York Moment was sitting in the revolving restaurant...'The View' at the Marriott Marquis, sipping champagne and watching the lights of New York. And with a charming bloke too...that was my NY moment....a dream!
May 12, 2006 03:20PM
I was in NYC over New Year and New Years Eve was spent in a restaurant with some lovely people and then in Central Park for midnight when we had champagne and watched the fireworks. Truly magical.
May 12, 2006 06:00PM
Like Marea, I have two.

1. As Jeans said, being alone you get a different perspective. Last summer when visiting with my daughter we both split up for the afternoon and evening. I decided to walk "a bit" up Madison Avenue. I loved it and walked from 42nd street to 90 something street, and then down to 80th where I was staying. It was fun to see all the shops you see in the magazine ads and in the movies, but it was also fun to check out the people and the architecture. You see things so much differntly on your own without thought interuption.

2. Same visit, a picnic in Central Park with Oracle and several of her friends. Just having "hang time" visiting, eating and drinking was great, and the concert in the park that followed was very nice. The trolly home was icing on the cake. Thanks O.! smiling smiley
May 13, 2006 08:25PM
Upon my first ever NYC trip in Manhattan, I arrived on Thursday morning. Checked into the hotel, then scampered off with my NY pace to the tours I'd planned.

I kept getting confused on directions with uptown/downtown. During all this, I wound up near 5th ave @ 55th st. When I saw a bar called Trump Bar. I'd wanted to see as many of Trumps buildings as I could, especially Trump Tower. I asked the nearby doorman where Trump Tower was, which was only around the corner.

So I went in, took a few pictures of the lobby, and spoke to the man at a podium near what is the organization elevators. Within minutes we're talking about Trump himself, and he says "speaking of the man".

I'm right in front of the elevators, and Donald Trump walks right in front of me, and around me (within one step of touching him), and gets into the elevator.
With camera in hand....I still didn't have time to get a picture.

Just one of many.........New York minutes........

I think its safe to say "you're fired".

Jeff jsmith27379@triad.rr.com.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 5 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 12