101st - 102nd street Lexington ave.

Posted by Claudia 

Hello,

We are visiting New York in September. We've found Bubba & Bean lodges on the internet, and it looks like a really nice place to stay. But we don't now anything about the neighborhood. It is on 1598 Lexington Avenue between 101-102 street. Can anybody tell us what this neighborhood is like. Is it also safe to walk the streets at night?

Thanks,
Claudia
Re: 101st - 102nd street Lexington ave.
May 07, 2006 02:50PM
Are you familiar with the city in general? That's technically the edge of East Harlem, perhaps not ideal for a first-time visitor. One advantage is that you'll be very close to the subway, which stops at 103rd and Lexington.

We have been to New York twice before (in 2002) So we're not completely new to the city. However we have never visited this part.

We don't care about travelling the subway a bit more then when you are in midtown. Our biggest concern is that we might not be able do this in the evening when it's dark, because we won't feel safe.

Claudia
May 08, 2006 09:19AM
The subways are perfectly safe at night; it's not something you need to worry about. I often come home from work late in the evenings, and never feel unsafe. The Lexington Avenue line is crowded in general because it's the only one servicing the East Side.

As far as the specifics of that neighborhood after dark, hopefully someone who lives there will be able to add their two cents. My personal recommendation to visitors is to stay on the Upper West Side because I think the choice of restaurants, entertainment, etc. is a little bit better, as is transportation in general. Of course I live in the neighborhood, so I'm a little bit biased!

We also prefer the Upper West Side. Unfortunately the accommodation over there is a bit above our budget. We don't want to stay in a cheap and dirty hotel.

Are there any restaurants in the Upper West Side you can recomment especially?
May 08, 2006 03:32PM
Look at the Newton Hotel.

The Newton Hotel is on the Upper West Side on Broadway and 95th Street. It gets good reviews, especially for value. It is in a safe residential neighborhood with close by shops and good moderately priced restaurants. It is one block from the subway which can get you to midtown in 10 minutes and most anywhere in Manhattan in 30 minutes.

[www.thehotelnewton.com]

[www.tripadvisor.com]
claudia
on the UWS there is one restaurant you don't want to miss if you like italian food Gennaro's on 665 Amsterdam @ 93rd
Phone : 212-665-5348 always pretty crowded but worthwile...

May 10, 2006 03:22PM
That area is ok. My bf works for the Transit Authority which has a garage on 100th & Lex. I've gone there many times in the dark, late at night, in the summer, in the winter. I've walked the dog around there. The projects there are quiet too. It's just as safe as yuppyville up the block.

Thanks for your replies. We've decided to book at B&B lodges. So in September we'll have a whole week to spend in New York. We're looking forward to it already!!

Be sure to give us the low down on your trip once u return home. Have a blast, September is a great month to be in NY
Hello,

I stayed and bb lodges a month ago, and can give some insight to the place.

When my boyfriend and I booked we had expectations of the place. I must say that it surpassed our expectations.

BB Lodges does not advertise alot of what they offer - but I was amazed. They say you are incharge of your own room. NOt true, we had a daily houeskeeper, when we came home every evening our rooms where clean, gift basket when you arrive. I was very happy with other things as well. The owners are 2 fun guys as well - always willing to help (as we found out the hard way - lost passport)

I guess I am very happy to find a place that lives up to it's name. I stayed at places that advertise one thing - and boy did I want to run away when seeing the actuality. Although when we stayed they where doing renovations, so the place was not 100% - but the rooms where clean, and designed well. So we where happy.

The area, is a plesant one - not dangerious at all. Although it is very quiet at night - but very safe. We arrived at night and was a bit worried (because it was almost a dead area) I have stayed alot on the east side of manhattan, and found that this area has a lot of resturants and shopping. It is a very spanish area.

But, I do not want to write to much - I guess anyone whose stays at a place will have a different opinion - but this is mine. I would stay here again www.bblodges.com

Sandy thanks for the great review. It intrigued me, and BBlodges is now in my ny favorites. Looks very nice. 5 min. more on the subway is not a big deal to me.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 17?
Online Users

Guests: 5